Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any luck with getting CPU frequency scaling to work in Linux when overclocking? I have overclocked the Phenom in my sig, but Linux will not allow me to have the overclock while also simultaneously using AMD cool 'n quiet. If I turn off C'nQ in the BIOS, Linux recognizes my overclock without a problem. It's only when I have AMD C'nQ enabled that it will scale my overclock down to stock speeds (and wont allow me to scale it up to overclocked speeds).

On Windows this is not a problem, I can overclock and still scale the CPU down to save power. I have read this is because Windows uses a proprietary ACPI and the motherboard makers tend to accommodate Windows while forgetting everyone else.

In any case, anyone had any luck with power saving while still running an overclocked CPU?

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
It works here, but CnQ with an overclock can lead to BSODs. I've had it lock up (linux) and BSOD in windows so I disabled it. I also run unlocked cores, which can cause CnQ BSODs as well. =(

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Nope. Every time I tried to use the applet, it says something like "Because of your set up, you won't be able to use this."

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomboy;11973057
It works here, but CnQ with an overclock can lead to BSODs. I've had it lock up (linux) and BSOD in windows so I disabled it. I also run unlocked cores, which can cause CnQ BSODs as well. =(
Yeah I've heard people say it works for them too. I dunno what the deal is here. It didn't work with my old X2 Athlon and it doesn't work now.

BTW, I see you got your 545 unlocked. No such luck here.
mad.gif

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiussat;11974700
Yeah I've heard people say it works for them too. I dunno what the deal is here. It didn't work with my old X2 Athlon and it doesn't work now.

BTW, I see you got your 545 unlocked. No such luck here.
mad.gif
Mine is an original 545 C2 stepping, it was a pain I tell ya. I had to get a bios update with better cpu code before it would work right.

As for the cpu-freq, I build my own kernels and always set it to ondemand for the cpu scaling. I also tend to use grano.la if I enable it, though with the current kernel the default turns it on. I don't have an OC though, as I can't with the unlocked cores. Well I can, but I max at around 3.5, *** is a 500mhz OC worth? I mean, in honest practical application it is useless. It doesn't boot my FPS in games crazy good. =S But yeah, I have default settings for speed. The only thing I have different is the vcore bumped up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts