Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read a post on a bulletin board about someone having the same mobo and cpu as me and being able to overclock it to 3.6 successfully. the highest i got it on auto was 20% which was 2.8ghz. i have been trying manual with no success of getting it any higher. these are the settings i used in the bios:

cpu freq. - 270
dram freq. - 320
agp/pci freq. - auto
cpu vcore voltage - auto
dr reference voltage - 2.75v
agp voltage - 1.5v

performance mode turbo.

i tried lowering the cpu freq to as low as 200 and the draw to 260 and still wouldnt boot. i then tried 150 and 320 which it booted to but was only 2.7 about.

can someone please explain to me why this would be happening and not allowing me to go any higher or if there is something i am doing wrong. i also tried using ai booster and got the same results when trying for 270. it would reboot and do nothing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail
you've got to lock the PCI and AGP frequencies, and you also have to raise the Vcore, and the Vdimm. that should help.

what do u recommend i change it to. pci/agp freq i got auto, 66/33, 72/36, 80/40. and what should the vcore voltage be and the ddr voltage? i dont know this too well thats why i ask. been reading about it all day still havent figured it out.

thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
DO NOT PUT THE PCI/AGP FREQUENCIES ON ANYTHING ELSE THEN 66/33!!!! lol, just a warning. If they get to high, you can get data coruption.
For the memory, crank it up all the way (Vdimm that is), preferably 2.8-2.9, 3.0v if you have the option... For the Vcore, raise it up one notch everytime you reach a barrier when your overclocking, but be sure to check your temps, you don't want to put the Vcore up to high and fry your chip.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
You can't expect 3.6GHz, that was probably with phase change cooling and a really good chip. All processors overclock differently, some people get extraoridnarily good chips that overclock extremely well when fitted with extreme cooling, but your average P4 will probably do another 400MHz, maybe 600MHz off its stock speed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so i tried these setting and had no luck still.

cpu freq - 250
dram freq - 320
agp/pci freq - 66/33
cpu vcore voltage - started at 1.625 and tried going higher to 1.950
ddr reference voltage - 2.8 (lowest is 2.5)
agp vddq voltage 1.8 (lowest is 1.5)

performance mode - turbo.

should i adjust any of this. i realize i may not be able to get 3.6 but a little higher than 2.88 would be nice.

thisis overclocked at 20% auto. its only 533 fsb also. just remembered from when i bought it. can i still get above 2.88?

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MazMan007
so i tried these setting and had no luck still.

cpu freq - 250
dram freq - 320
agp/pci freq - 66/33
cpu vcore voltage - started at 1.625 and tried going higher to 1.950
ddr reference voltage - 2.8 (lowest is 2.5)
agp vddq voltage 1.8 (lowest is 1.5)

performance mode - turbo.

should i adjust any of this. i realize i may not be able to get 3.6 but a little higher than 2.88 would be nice.

thisis overclocked at 20% auto. its only 533 fsb also. just remembered from when i bought it. can i still get above 2.88?
You need to take it slow and do one step at a time. Start back over, and do not go over 1.7v Vcore. One thing is change the Performance mode back to auto do not try Turbo mode it will hurt your overclock. Make sure you keep the AGP/PCI frequency locked on 66/33. Have you read the Intel Overclocking guide?

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
The 2.4 @ 3.6 that you saw was most likely (99.99999% probability) either a 2.4C (northwood, 800 mhz FSB) or a 2.4A (prescott, 533 mhz FSB). You've got a 2.4b, which max out around 3.0 - 3.1. 2.8-2.9 is about average for them, so I wouldn't expect too much more out of that chip. Sorry for the bad news, but that's not a bad OC at all on that chip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity
The 2.4 @ 3.6 that you saw was most likely (99.99999% probability) either a 2.4C (northwood, 800 mhz FSB) or a 2.4A (prescott, 533 mhz FSB). You've got a 2.4b, which max out around 3.0 - 3.1. 2.8-2.9 is about average for them, so I wouldn't expect too much more out of that chip. Sorry for the bad news, but that's not a bad OC at all on that chip.

yeah mines 2.4 with 533 northwood. which i guess is the 2.4b. got it at 2.88 now which is i guess the best im gonna get it from what ive been reading everywhere. thanks. gonna be looking soon to get a 3.2 p4 which i have read can be easily overclocked to 3.6.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Quote:

yeah mines 2.4 with 533 northwood. which i guess is the 2.4b. got it at 2.88 now which is i guess the best im gonna get it from what ive been reading everywhere. thanks. gonna be looking soon to get a 3.2 p4 which i have read can be easily overclocked to 3.6.
Go with a 3.2E (prescott). The newest ones (D0 stepping, or if you're lucky enough to get one, E0 stepping) run cooler and are clocking higher. With good air cooling, you can probably expect 3.8+ on the newer 3.2's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Go with a 3.2E (prescott). The newest ones (D0 stepping, or if you're lucky enough to get one, E0 stepping) run cooler and are clocking higher. With good air cooling, you can probably expect 3.8+ on the newer 3.2's.

whats the difference b/w the 3.2 and 3.2E? and if i got either one, whats a good fan and heatsink to get that would allow for max overclocking?

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Quote:

whats the difference b/w the 3.2 and 3.2E? and if i got either one, whats a good fan and heatsink to get that would allow for max overclocking?
The 3.2C is a northwood. The 3.2E is a prescott. Prescotts are newer technology, have greater L2 cache (1mb on prescott, 512kb on northwood), and have additional instruction sets (like SSE3). Plus, the newer steppings (steppings are basically similar to revision versions) are allowing greater and greater overclocks. Basically, from what I've been seeing, C0 stepping prescotts (which is the first revision) perform about on par with northwoods, in terms of overclocking. D0 allows for greater overclocking, and while E0's are still relatively rare (because they've only been on the market a week or two at the most), they are expected to go even higher.

For good air cooling, the XP-90 or XP-120 are about top of the line, if I'm not mistaken. You might want to ask this question in the air cooling section, tho.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I got a D0 3.2E and I got the P4P800E-Deluxe... I can get mine to 3.6 easy but I need more vcore stability to go higher, so before I OC some more I need a new PSU. But 3.6Ghz is easy to achieve from a 3.2E.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i got a thermaltake 480w silent purepower psu. would that work with the 3.2e or do i need something more powerful? i can give u the voltage specs if u need.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

How many amps on the +12v rail? Minimum recommended for a Prescott is 12v @ 24A.
18A...guess thats not enough huh

159 Posts
AC INPUT
115V/230V 10A/6A 60/50Hz
DC OUTPUT
+3.3V
+5V
+12V
-12V
-5V
+5VSB
500W
Max
Combined
Watts

28A
30A
34A
0.8A
0.3A
2A
500W

thats the rating for my psu . and it works real well no problem with the oc up to about 3.75 though i dont run that cause well id like my chip to last longer

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yea, PSU is really important... I need to throw my crappy 300w OEM PSU in the garbage

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Quote:

18A...guess thats not enough huh
Not really....

s478 Prescotts really sap the +12v rail, even with enough amperage. I don't know if the same is holding true for the D0 and E0 stepping s478 pressies, but my C0 is sucking my PSU dry. It was a solid 11.96v+ on the +12v rail when I was running a northwood. With my 3.2E, it was at 11.8v max (down to 11.6 under load) for the longest time, and now it's at 11.6v max.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts