Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goodmorning everyone, i have been wanting to overclocks my ram for the longest, and now that its starting to get colder around these parts
im gonna try it. First off id like to ask that you post suggestions, like what speed and voltage (Any brand), second off the timings, the brand, and your maximum "bootable overclock, and your maximum stable overclock with Timings/speed/voltages etc. etc. Thank you before hand, im restarting now to get it raised

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MR KROGOTH View Post
Goodmorning everyone, i have been wanting to overclocks my ram for the longest, and now that its starting to get colder around these parts
im gonna try it. First off id like to ask that you post suggestions, like what speed and voltage (Any brand), second off the timings, the brand, and your maximum "bootable overclock, and your maximum stable overclock with Timings/speed/voltages etc. etc. Thank you before hand, im restarting now to get it raised

Since you have the nForce 680i, I recommend going with a tighter Command Rate (CR) of 1T (instead of 2T) instead of overclocking. I mean, when I had the 680i, I got my DDR2 800 all the way to 1066 or so and it was stable. But I was disappointed because I didn't feel any improvement in the performance. However, I eventually found out about trying to use 1T instead of 2T, so I put the memory back to 800MHz (I used "Unlinked") and tried 1T.

After some trial & error, I ended up having to loosen the CAS# Latency (CL) from 4 down to 5, and I also had to raise the voltage from 2.100V to 2.150V. So I recommend watching out for that if you do this (which I hope you do).

Which mushkin kit do you have? Do you know the kit number? I had kit # 996580.

• Rep+
Reactions: MR KROGOTH

·
Premium Member
7,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have these babies <3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146118
So what does the command rate do? can i overclock and have that command rate? also, my timings are tightened from 5-5-5-12

Also, is it good if i can overclock the northbridge speed to around 3.2 GHz?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
Quote:

I have these babies <3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146118
So what does the command rate do? can i overclock and have that command rate? also, my timings are tightened from 5-5-5-12

I don't know what the Command Rate does, but all I know is that when I changed from 2T to 1T, I felt a performance boost whereas I didn't feel anything when I overclocked from 800 to roughly 1066.

But in order to attempt tightening the Command Rate, the stock clock must be used; overclocking the memory will not be possible after that. But again, it's a bit pointless with the nForce boards anyway (but the 790i is an exception).

Additionally, the CAS# Latency (the first timing) may need to be lowered from 5 down to 6. The 12 may need to be loosened as well (down to perhaps 18). But the voltage may need to be increased as well (it may need like 2.0V).

Edit: Overclocking the northbridge isn't possible. Do you mean the FSB?

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
7,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
I don't know what the Command Rate does, but all I know is that when I changed from 2T to 1T, I felt a performance boost whereas I didn't feel anything when I overclocked from 800 to roughly 1066.

But in order to attempt tightening the Command Rate, the stock clock must be used; overclocking the memory will not be possible after that. But again, it's a bit pointless with the nForce boards anyway (but the 790i is an exception).So if i use that command rate, i cant overclock at all?

Additionally, the CAS# Latency (the first timing) may need to be lowered from 5 down to 6. The 12 may need to be loosened as well (down to perhaps 18). But the voltage may need to be increased as well (it may need like 2.0V).Even if its at stock?

Edit: Overclocking the northbridge isn't possible. Do you mean the FSB?
It said something akin to northbridge in nTune, ill try and get a screenie.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
Quote:

It said something akin to northbridge in nTune, ill try and get a screenie.
Don't use nTune. Uninstall it and use the BIOS. If you don't overclock through the BIOS, then you may end up disappointed and frustrated.

·
Premium Member
7,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Don't use nTune. Uninstall it and use the BIOS. If you don't overclock through the BIOS, then you may end up disappointed and frustrated.
I did, it showed the difference in nTune. I looked back and it said PCI-E Reference clock.... good/bad?

you see?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
But leaving nTune installed may end up causing problems later on. It may end up undoing any changes you made in the BIOS.

Anyway, that's just the PCI-E frequency, and it should always be left at 100MHz.

·
Premium Member
7,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

But leaving nTune installed may end up causing problems later on. It may end up undoing any changes you made in the BIOS.

Anyway, that's just the PCI-E frequency, and it should always be left at 100MHz.
aw... *sniff* ok, will uninstall, now to the ramses.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:

So what does the command rate do? can i overclock and have that command rate?
Hi mate,

There's lots of info about the timings here:

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/26706-...tml#post276921

Quote:
What about Command Rate?

Command Rate is sometimes referred to as DRC (DRAM command rate). This is the setting that selects the speed of your RAM signal controller. If it is set to 1T, then the controller will run in synchronization with your bus speed. Higher settings will result in slower overall RAM speed, which translates to less bandwith and yes (you guessed it) more headshots for you. Most decent RAM modules will run at 1T, but some have to be set to 2T. The moral of the story here is don’t buy value select RAM!

·
Premium Member
7,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aubs 9800GX2 View Post
Hi mate,

There's lots of info about the timings here:

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/26706-...tml#post276921

Soo according to this, when i overclock my CPU my ram will overclock along with it...

totally off topic, but i found the most kick-ass 70mm fan on an old P4 heatsink:
70x20 size 5: voltage 43.78: CFM 5.79: Pressure 43.3: noise in dB

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MR KROGOTH
View Post

Soo according to this, when i overclock my CPU my ram will overclock along with it...

No, it won't. I don't know how to explain what that thing means, but it won't. I used 1T with my memory at 800MHz and my CPU was at 4.0 GHz (1778 MHz). It doesn't affect the clock speed.

• Rep+

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Ok, thank you. Gonna restart now.

You're welcome! I'm really hoping your memory can do this!

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Its working at 5-5-5-12, 1.85v, gonna try memtest in OCCT.

So it's working with a Command Rate of 1T?

Edit: OCCT only has a GPU memory tester.

·
Premium Member
7,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

So it's working with a Command Rate of 1T?

Edit: OCCT only has a GPU memory tester.

So far. So there is absolutely no overclocking at all?
ooohhh....i fail. downloading memtestx86 now.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
Quote:

View Post

So far. So there is absolutely no overclocking at all?

Well, when I used 1T, I couldn't overclock my memory at all. But again, when I tried ~1066MHz, I didn't feel a difference whatsoever, so don't worry about the memory clock.
It's the timings that matter here.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Grr...whats that memory stress test? i cant find the windows version. Its making me Madface.

Oh, HCI's MemTest right?

Edit: LinX isn't a memory stress tester. But, it does work it.

• Rep+
1 - 20 of 39 Posts