Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm working on a comp that I'm building for a friend. So far everything is going great. I do however have a few questions that I'm hoping you can help with. I've already read NoAffinity's "Intel Overclocking Guide" and "RAM 101" which have been very helpful. (thanks na) First of all, let me just list my specs so you can see where I'm at:

Hardware
Mobo: DFI 875P-T
Processor: P4 540 3.20GHz
Ram: 2x512 HyperRam PC4700 566MHz
Cooling: XP-90 with Panaflo fan

BIOS Settings
CPU Clock Ratio - 16x

CPU Clock - 250MHz

CAS Latency - 3
Active to Precharge Delay - 6
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 3
DRAM RA# Precharge - 3
(these were default in the BIOS so I started with them instead of looser timings)

Async AGP/PCI Clk - 66/33MHz
Auto Detect PCI Clk - Disabled
Spread Spectrum - Disabled

CPU Voltage - 1.5250V
Dim Voltage - 2.6V
AGP Voltage - 1.5V

CPU-Z Pics
http://img34.exs.cx/img34/8612/CPU-ZCPUReading.png
http://img34.exs.cx/img34/1610/CPU-ZMemoryReading.png

Ok, so far it seems pretty stable, no problems yet. I have downloaded Prime 95, Memtest86, 3dMark01, and I already installed SiSoftware Sandra Standard (Win32 x86 Unicode) 2004.10.9.89. Here's my first question, how do you run these things? (lol) Sorry but there are different settings and types of tests and I was just wondering if you use default settings or do any of you have a system for testing? I can imagine some of you must have a default setup you use and a system you've discovered for testing overclocks. (since you've probably done this countless times) Is there anywhere this info is listed, or have any of you created a document with these answers? Next, since I haven't really tested this OC for stability I don't really know if this is the best setup. NoAffinity had mentioned to me before in another thread that I might want to use the 14x ratio instead of the 16x. I think he suggested this only if I were having troubles getting what I wanted with 16x. My question is, would I see any benefits switching to 14x? Also, is it really important to start with the looser timings? Since these were default I left them but now I'm not sure I should have. I ask because I do see one problem so far that has me concerned and that's my idle temp. I'm using the XP-90 heatsink with a Panaflo fan so only air right now. When I check the BIOS for CPU temp it reads 52c Idle which seems high at this point. This brings up another smaller problem some of you may have experienced. I'm using Winbond Hardware Doctor for reading temps, after bootup it reads 43c idle at the desktop. I use this same utility for my personal computer and it does read differently but mine is only off by a couple of degrees, not 9 degrees?

Anyway, suggestions for running these programs would be greatly appreciated. Oh, one other discrepancy I noticed. If you take a look at my CPU-Z screen shots above you'll notice the memory is only reading PC4600. This memory is suppose to be PC-4700 so that is puzzling to me as well.

Ok, alot of stuff here but I'm hoping you won't mind.

Thanks Much,
UB

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Whew, where 'o where to begin...lol. First the programs: For Prime 95, download the install file and save it to desktop. Then install it in two different locations on your hard drive, 2 different directories. Then open one of them and run the Torture Test with Small FFT's. Then open the other Prime 95 and run the Torture Test with Large FFT's. This will totally max out the cpu and cpu only. It will run at 100%. It is recommended to do this for 24 hours to make sure the cpu/subsystem is totally stable.

Memtest is a dos-based program used to test memory. Dowload the file, make a bootable floppy disk, and copy the files as stated in the Readme. Then inset the floppy and reboot. This will test the memory only to make sure it is stable.

SiSoft Sandra: This is used to get a relative comparison of performance as compared to other systems. You will find that you cannot use many of the "modules", as you have to pay for it. However, it is very useful tool in determining cpu and memory performance. Just run the tests labeled: CPU Arithmetic Benchmark, Multi-media benchmark, File-system benchmark, and Memory Bandwidth. This will show you how the individual components are performing. It shows other system information as well, you can just browse through that.

About the multiplier: NoAffin suggested using the 14X multiplier {ratio} for one reason: memory bandwidth. By lowering the multi you can increase the front side bus while keeping the same cpu clock speed. Intel processors do very well with high memory bandwidth, and I would highly recommend this.

About the temps: Remember that when in bios, the cpu does have a load on it, so the temps will not be entirely accurate. Prescott core cpu's run a little warm, so 43 idle sounds right to me. Just stay under 60C under load and under 1.525 vcore, whichever comes first.

About the memory: Ignore the CPU-Z reading. What is shown is the speed that the memory is "detected" as, not what speed it is running. When manufacturers make memory chips, they "speed bin" them. What this means is that they actually make many different sticks or ram all from the same substrate. Due to differences in the materials and manufacturing, the chips produced will show a variety of results, ranging from chips that don't work at all to chips that will run at insane speeds. They then choose the fastest chips and label them as PC4700, PC4400, whatever. Many high speed ram modules will be shown in CPU-Z as PC3200, yet are rated to run at PC4000 speeds. In short, don't worry about it, it is working just fine.

Hope that helps and good luck! I want one of those mobo's really bad, just a couple more weeks.

• Rep+
Reactions: NoAffinity

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lando95,

Thanks very much for the information! So far the board is very sweet. I can tell this thing is going to take to overclocking very nicely. I'll work with the information you gave me and give you an update in a couple of days. I have to have it ready by this coming weekend. (he's picking it up so it has to be done)

Thanks Again,
Joe

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Anytime mate! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
hey, if it wasn't mentioned yet, set Auto Detect PCI Clk - Disabled
to enabled. This allows the mobo to determine which PCI slots are in use and which aren't, and disable the ones that aren't. It frees up resources.
Nice sys, and nice OC, btw.

Also, keep in mind that the memory is optimized for higher speeds. Like Lando said, dropping the multi and going for highest possible bus speeds will get you the most performance. While komusa RAM has never let me down, I would be surprised if it could hit DDR566 at those timings. I would suspect you'll have to slop 'em up to 3-4-4-8.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.