Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to overclock my E8400 to 3.6 GHz. I have fooled around in BIOS before and tried to OC with settings I found from someone elses OC settings. But, I reset everything to factory default due to trying to diagnose a problem I used to have. Turns out I really didnt have to reset everything to fix the problem

Anyway my PC specs are:
GA-EP45-DS3L
2x2GB GSkill DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) ---------- Click HERE for newegg page on RAM
ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm CPU Fan

If needed more info, let me know. Im pretty tired so I probably forgot something
From what I read, it shouldnt be too hard to get it up to 3.6 right? I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
If that doesn't work I'd be happy to go into my bios and take pictures of everything with my droid/write them down for you. You'll just cost me a bit of folding time. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW. Thanks for quick reply. I will do what you said. Not sure what you mean by setting RAM to 1:1...Where do I change this setting at? Same with activating dual channel?

I'm sure I can figure it out, but I dont remember seeing anything in BIOS with 1:1 or activating dual channel. Are these settings in MIT?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
(Welcome to the Forums btw)

Basically, you want to make sure the ram speed ratio is 1:1 with the FSB. Your ram, with sane timings, should be able to easily handle 800mhz which is what they would be pushing at 400mhz FSB and 1:1 ratio.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Basically, make sure you've manually set your FSB to 400mhz, ram to 2x FSB speed, manually set your ram timings to the ones provided by the ram manufacturer and that should basically be it. Everything else set to auto you should be able to run 3.6ghz without breaking a sweat. With my Dark Knight and some Silver5 I never break 50c unless I'm doing a Prime95 run.

·
Registered
865 Posts
To the OP, If you would like some more reading material on setting up voltages for your E8400 and your GB board check this thread out!

You'll find some of my handy work in that thread. That is basically all the overclocking basics you need to know in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for the welcoming! You dont understand how excited I am to get this puppy OCed lol.

Just to make sure, setting ram 1:2 means changing the System Memory Multiplier to 2.00B correct? I'm gonna download the manual for my RAM to check to see what they say the RAM timings should be. I checked this before and I think it should be 5-5-5-15 2.1v. I think its set at 5-4-4-12 1.8v right now.

@Meta-Prometheus: I'm really interested in the art of OCing
. Anything on OCing I will enjoy reading and I will read up on your post. Thanks for this. Eventually I would like to get my e8400 to 4 GHz, but I would like to learn to OC this myself. So your post will probably help out alot.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Cheers!
Yes to the System Memory Multiplier being 2.00b
Picture should get you up and running.

I didn't go for 4ghz as I didn't think it really needed the extra 400mhz as my GPU is holding me back more than anything and I was going for best combo of OC and undervolt. You've gotta love C2D's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
3.6 GHz is probably all I'll need too. But I like to learn new things and learning how to OC is something I would be interested in. I think hitting 4 GHz myself would be enough of a challenge that once I do it, I should have at least all the basics of OCing down. I doubt I would keep it at 4 GHz so the life expectancy wont go down too much.

BTW, I have a MSI 9800GT+ OC (bought it OCed) with Core at 760, Shader 1880 and Memory 1150. Would that hold me back from getting to 4 GHz?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by drdaylight389 View Post
3.6 GHz is probably all I'll need too. But I like to learn new things and learning how to OC is something I would be interested in. I think hitting 4 GHz myself would be enough of a challenge that once I do it, I should have at least all the basics of OCing down. I doubt I would keep it at 4 GHz so the life expectancy wont go down too much.

BTW, I have a MSI 9800GT+ OC (bought it OCed) with Core at 760, Shader 1880 and Memory 1150. Would that hold me back from getting to 4 GHz?
Not at all. I was merely mentioning my video card because I didn't feel the limiting factor of my system's performance was my overclock but my (now outdated) 9600gt. This has no bearing whatsoever on your maximum overclocking potential.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK cool. I just changed everything to you said. Had to test a game out afterwards

Just one last question. Does it matter if the System Memory Multiplier is A, B, C, or D? I seen that it showed in the right side of BIOS that X.XXA ---> 266 MHz FSB X.XXB --->333 MHz FSB X.XXD ---> 400 MHz FSB

It wasnt exactly that but i know it showed X.XXD 400 MHz FSB. Shouldnt I use that instead since the FSB is 400?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts