Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a little confused and hoping that someone can correct me. I am trying to do my first overclock I've been doing a lot of research but it brings me to more questions then answers. I've built about 2 pc's now from scratch but a monkey can do that. That being said this is what I am currently running I've had it for a while now and looking to do some new things with It as it is still a decent build but I wanna push it. I just installed a fresh copy of windows 7 32 bringing me to my first question.

Before I begin overclocking is it better to have the processor run in 32bit or 64bit (realizing this after I just finished the install of 32)

Now as I think I understand I have to change the FSB first however there is supposed to be like a brick wall with the FSB stopping in the P5WDH.

But I should probably post what I'm working with before I ask any more questions.

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
CPU
Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 @ 2.93GHz
Conroe 65nm Technology
RAM
3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5W DH Deluxe (LGA 775) VER: 2901
Graphics
768MB GeForce 8800 GTX (EVGA)

Now according to CPU-Z I have a speed of about 1600-2900Mhz because of Intel's stepping feature which I have to disable? and a multiplier that jumps from x 6.0 - 11.0 also because of the stepping?

The Bus speed is currently at 266Mhz with a rated fsb of 1066Mhz.

I also don't know much about how the voltage comes into play other then the higher the processor goes the more power it will need. though my computer jumps in and out of this stepping process bringing me to about 1.17v - 1.29v which raises concerns for the safety of my CPU after overclocking.

Now if I think i understand I'm supposed to slowly up the memory to 399mhz as well as the voltage and change the multiplier to 11x and get a ratio of about 5/4 ?
and change things to 5 5 5 and a 15? or is that how my computer is currently running?

I keep running around in circles if someone could please help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
If you have an extreme chip, all you have to do is disable speedstep and C1E, up the voltage and the multiplier. The fluctuation that you're witnessing is speedstep in action. Disable it and it will no longer bug you.

The bus speeds you can pretty much leave as we want a CPU overclock to be stable before we tinker with the RAM. Keep the RAM at stock (or looser, 5-5-5-15 is pretty loose).

Good luck man

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
There isnt that big of a difference with 32bt and 34bit. the main determining factor should e how much RAM you have installed in your system. If you have 4gb + get 64bit. If not its not worth it.

Yes you need to disable the stepping. And yes your Mulitplier is jumping because of it.

Last as you start ocing your system will eventually become unstable. By upping the voltage you will all more current to enter your processor. It heats up your processor and stabilizes it to (If you can cool it)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thanks guys that was fast. What type of temp am I looking at here that would be safe to run it at I'm currently running on 40C with a ****ty fan so I might have to upgrade. BTW looking at this program that is on cpuid's website its telling me I have 6144 physical memory while I only have 3 sticks of 1g DDR2 I'm not missing out on memory right? unless I missed the boat on something.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ineeni View Post
Wow thanks guys that was fast. What type of temp am I looking at here that would be safe to run it at I'm currently running on 40C with a ****ty fan so I might have to upgrade. BTW looking at this program that is on cpuid's website its telling me I have 6144 physical memory while I only have 3 sticks of 1g DDR2 I'm not missing out on memory right? unless I missed the boat on something.
Can you take a screenshot of what you're looking at? I'm assuming you're talking about CPU-Z.

This is a screenshot of my laptop, 3GB DDR3 (32bit system limitation).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

a glitch? its PC Wizard 2010 by those guys that make CPU-Z
What would be a reasonable temp for this CPU post overclock since its at 40C jumping back and forth with the stepping enabled. 50-60C safe?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts