Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is overclocking something a noobie should think about? I'm buying a fairly high end computer and would love to learn how to do things with it. Overclocking it would be on that list. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
yes it is always a good thing to do, if you study the subjesct and know atleast a little about what your doing, but if you are buying a name brand pc,emachines,dell,hp,sony....ect, you wont be able to overclock them because they have there bios locked and you cannot do anything with them OC wise...

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
yeah id save your money and build one your self. with todays prices youd get a 500 dollar computer for 3

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you're buying a pre-built computer from a major manufacturer (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.), then overclocking will not be an option. Overclocking is based on the functions of certain motherboards and BIOS settings the motherboard manufacturers allow. Ready-made systems do not allow the altering of these settings as they can cause damage if you change something and you don't know what you're doing.

If the system you are purchasing does have a motherboard that will allow overclocking, I'd advise you to read up a lot on the subject (there are plenty of handy FAQ's on this site) before you attempt anything and even then take it slow and safe. Still, if you're buying a high end system, there's some risk in overclocking and little reward. Systems that are already very fast have little need to be pushed even faster.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
64 x2 4400+
Asus a8n-sli
ocz premium ddr3200 dual ram
gigabyte aurora case
eVGA geforce 7800gt
Maxtor 200GB 16 mb Sata hd
ocz modstream 520w

What do you guys think??

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Protege73

64 x2 4400+
Asus a8n-sli
gigabyte aurora case
eVGA geforce 7800gt
ocz modstream 520w

What do you guys think??

it wont really need overclocking at all, but it will OC like hell and be extremely powerful!!! sounds great to me,lol im jealous!!!

PS: what heatsink and fan are you going to get? you should invest in a good one if you plan to overclock... or watercooling if you have the money!

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Yeah... it seems freaking good!

Go overclock that beast!!!

It's easy, not very complicated unless you want to make your computer do some backflips and all that jazz.

Good luck, man!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, i was guided by the guy at the local computer store on this so I was hoping that this would be great. When I get it at the end of the week, I hope you guys have some patience to help me get to where this baby should be. LOL

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Quote:

thanks, i was guided byt the guy at the local computer store on this so I was hoping that this would be great.

no prob, so fill out your system specs under USERCP and youll be set, go do some reading and start ocing...good luck

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Quote:

64 x2 4400+
Asus a8n-sli
gigabyte aurora case
eVGA geforce 7800gt
ocz modstream 520w

What do you guys think??

Thats a sweet system .Will o/c well but you will need some cooling to help

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
cool... litterally...lol so just watch your temps untill u get the H20 setup...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts