Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there all.

i know, its the "easiest" card to OC and does really well overclocked... but im an idiot so...

i have a sapphire radeon 8500 (based on the 8500LE) 64MB AGP card.

ive read online that this card SHOULD have a clock of 275/300 out of the box. mine came as a 250/250. when i attemped to bump these up to what the "standard" is for my card i got heavy artifacting.... in windows! it was like having a green morie pattern superimposed on my screen with transparancy on.

after cleaning out my pants... (this is the only good card i have ATM... poorness sucks
and restarting the card returned to 250/250

now for my questions.

1: whats up with the 250/250 thing
2: why did it reset back to 250 core 250 mem
3: what other fun things can i do to this card for extra power without extra cooling? im not looking to go hardcore or anything...(ive never overclocked before but im a fairly experienced computer used besides that point.)
ive heard of volt modding them with lead from a good 'ol yellow #2 whitch leads me to my next question
4: what does volt modding do and how safe is it?

anyhoo
rock on!

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazlehoff

1: whats up with the 250/250 thing
2: why did it reset back to 250 core 250 mem
3: what other fun things can i do to this card for extra power without extra cooling? im not looking to go hardcore or anything...(ive never overclocked before but im a fairly experienced computer used besides that point.)
ive heard of volt modding them with lead from a good 'ol yellow #2 whitch leads me to my next question
4: what does volt modding do and how safe is it?

anyhoo
rock on!

1 u might have a LE crappier card then u think, which ould have slower speeds then a normal 8500.
2. depending what program u used, if u dont check the save box then it wont save your overclock.
3. best thing to do is just overclock and get newer drivers if u havent already done that.
4. volt modding is usally bad for the card, even though it does give it more room for overclocking, but also makes it alot hotter anyways, and u risk damaging the card.

and, what software did u use to overclock?
ATItool is one of the best for ati, download it at www.guru3d.com and install it. then push the detect optimum freqecies and wait till it finishes....do it for both core and memory, thatll give u the best overclock that is COMLETLY aftifact free. but after that, u can go up a few mhz at a time and test, and save at the top in a new profile your new overclock.

oh yeah....and WELCOME!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123

1 u might have a LE crappier card then u think, which ould have slower speeds then a normal 8500.
2. depending what program u used, if u dont check the save box then it wont save your overclock.
3. best thing to do is just overclock and get newer drivers if u havent already done that.
4. volt modding is usally bad for the card, even though it does give it more room for overclocking, but also makes it alot hotter anyways, and u risk damaging the card.

and, what software did u use to overclock?

oh yeah....and WECOME!

1: d'oh
2: AtiTool. teh roxors.
3: k.
4: ok thanks heat is bad, no matter how cold it is here in calgary

i used atitool. when i hit "find max..." buttons the clock goes up for the core, but when i do it for the mem it goes DOWN after going up for a bit. and i get some error about temporal AA. sinse i dought there talking about wormholes, i'd assume its got something to do with my omega drivers

also, for all you ppl who look and say "*** 8500LE BAH go buy a new card" i say this.

doomIII: 23-30 FPS (12-18 in stupidly large areas)
UT2k4: 28-30 FPS (and thats massive ONS and AS maps)
Halo: combat evolved: smoother and better looking than the 'box.
HL2: sux so who cares what my fps is in it

sorry, had to rant hehehehe.

on.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
how can u say HL2 sux!!!!

but yeah, if the core goes down, check out your psu rails and such, see if their all on par, and then if u can increase the agp votage in your bios. that might give u a better clock. also change your drivers, as they change in OCing and everthing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
see, now i feel dumber. whats a psu?

i dont think i have AGP settings in my bios but i'll doublecheck.

any other sugestions for getting beter preformance/fps?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts