Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got around to overclocking.
thumb.gif

I bumped it up to 4.0Ghz and ran prime95 for 30 Minutes. Stable no crashes, Temps didn't go above 45*C ....but....the bottom two cores failed. I did some reading ( I used the search feature, gotta give me kudos for that!
biggrin.gif
) and some had said that it means that I am very close to a stable OC. That I need to increase my voltage. I hope that is what it means.

Anyways. I went into my bios and for the love of OCing, I couldn't find which voltage is the correct one to do. I was told to bump it by 0.005. Is that also correct?

Here is my current CPU-Z validation

Other then that am I doing everything right? I turned off the stuff I should, at least the stuff I can find anyways.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a picture of all the options to choose from. I just don't know which one is the voltage that I need to change.

In addition my DRAM timing mode is on auto....and for some reason it doesn't seem like my ram is running as fast as it should .
My ram is Kingston Hyper X - KHX16C9B1RK2/8X DDR3 1600Mhz But CPU-Z says this.

Here are some other pics of my specs

CPU

GPU

Core Temp Idle

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
at 4 ghz, you need to change this from auto to somewhere around 1.40 to 1.425

at 4.5 ghz you'll need cpu voltage around 1.45 to 1.47
Just try the lowest first then do a prime95 run for 30 minutes and see if it holds.

it varies depending on how lucky you are, but FX6100 will need voltage around those numbers.
I managed to reach 4.6 Ghz stable, but my motherboard is cheap so I have it back at 4.0 Ghz for 24/7 usage

• Rep+
Reactions: Delirious84

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by edalbkrad View Post

at 4 ghz, you need to change this from auto to somewhere around 1.40 to 1.425

at 4.5 ghz you'll need cpu voltage around 1.45 to 1.47
Just try the lowest first then do a prime95 run for 30 minutes and see if it holds.

it varies depending on how lucky you are, but FX6100 will need voltage around those numbers.
I managed to reach 4.6 Ghz stable, but my motherboard is cheap so I have it back at 4.0 Ghz for 24/7 usage
Thx. I am wanting to just go 4.0Ghz only because I heard that the msi 970a-g46 I have apparently has crappy VRMs...even tho the only ones I seen was for FX-8XXX CPUs...

I might try to push it past 4.0 Ghz later on, but right now I just want to get this OC stable. Thx for your help.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
what cpu voltage did it needed?
50c full load temp gives you some headroom if you wanna try for 4.5ghz later when you get a beefier motherboard.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It took 1.424 volts.. Here is an updated CPU-Z

I'm halfway temped to push it to 4.5 Ghz....simply because the mobo VRMs were on the beefy FX-8XXXX CPUs that are 125w as opposed to my FX-6100 which is only 95w.

Anyone think that is a bad idea?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
you can touch the mosfets at 4ghz while running prime95 to check the temps.
make sure you touch the plastic part, and not the 3 metal pins part.

If you are able to keep your finger on the mosfet longer than 1 minute, the temp is fine.
if you will burn your finger within 5 seconds, dont overclock further

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
oh I see your mosfets have a heatsink on them.
That's good and should make them a lot cooler.

You can touch that big grey heatsink to feel the temperature.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ran Prime95 for 30 minutes. Stuck my finger tips to the mosfets and I could hold them there without it burning me. They were not really even that hot. I'm starting to think that this board isn't as bad as most people put it out to be. It might be the fact that I'm not rocking an FX-8XXX. Which uses more watts.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
that's good, you should be safe to overclock further up to 4.3ghz - 4.5ghz
it wont matter much though because even at stock, your FX6100 wont bottleneck your gpu.

Maybe in the future when you buy a faster card, you can clock the FX6100 to 4.5ghz

·
Registered
51 Posts
Subscribed, I got a FX-6100 on a 970A-G43 MB.... I'll post my results in another thread. But I am following along with your results to see whats up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts