Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There

I overclocked my rig from 4000 to 4725 was aiming for 4800 but can't get there (Busspeed @ 225, Multiplier @ 21 Voltage at 1.4) at first I stress tested with Prime95 everything tested fine no lockups temp was under 70c well there are 2 different temps on HWmonitor the one under my CPU name was in the 50's and the CPUTIN was in the 60's. Now yesterday I saw that a lot of people are using Intelburn so I gave it a shot did a Very High test @ 10 and it tested fine again temps where the same as with prime so just for good measure I tested again and at the 8th run it restarted my PC, now my overclock isn't stable any more my PC froze again, So now I have turned down the busspeed to 220 to see if it is stable.

Is there anyone with some advise?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Improve your cpu cooler then bump voltage to 1.45. Make sure to turn off all power saving features such as cool n quiet and C1E. Also install a small fan to blow on the backside of your cpu and another to blow on your vrm's.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 8370 is clocked on straight multiplier. Have you tried it that way?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
my 8370-e needs 1.45v AFTER vdroop for 4.8 stable. (it could likely lower this a notch or two)

one also much remember that when you are using a higher than 200 fsb, you need to be in manual mode (docp is junk)

changing the bus clock like this effects everything else.. NB and HT frequency are going to be higher as will ram speeds and as ram speeds go up you need to loosen timings, and add volts to both the mem, the mem controler (cpu/nb) and the HT

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlailScHLAMP View Post

my 8370-e needs 1.45v AFTER vdroop for 4.8 stable. (it could likely lower this a notch or two)

one also much remember that when you are using a higher than 200 fsb, you need to be in manual mode (docp is junk)

changing the bus clock like this effects everything else.. NB and HT frequency are going to be higher as will ram speeds and as ram speeds go up you need to loosen timings, and add volts to both the mem, the mem controler (cpu/nb) and the HT
Sorry but I'm relatively new with overclocking, when you say AFTER vdroop what is that? and loosen timings on the ram is that going from 9.9.9 to 8.8.8 or 10.10.10 etc....

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
not familiar with your Motherboard, so i'm not sure where to point you too.

but the Vdroop comes from adjusting the LLC (load level calibration) and Vcore in tandem.

in simpler terms, Vdroop is the amount of voltage that your cpu with drop while under-load. If you are experiencing Vboost or a voltage increase on the Vcore underload you are in my experience making things harder for yourself.

if you are new, stick to strictly multiplier. less of a headache.

for added reading click the thread in my signature and start reading. Almost 4 years of FX8 users getting good.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
Here, this is an example of vdroop. This is a straight multi OC on a board with no LLC while it is under 100% load. With CnQ enabled it idles down as low as 1.192v, under a light load it goes to its set voltage of 1.592 v, and under 100% load it vdroops down to 1.512v.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

Here, this is an example of vdroop. This is a straight multi OC on a board with no LLC while it is under 100% load. With CnQ enabled it idles down as low as 1.192v, under a light load it goes to its set voltage of 1.592 v, and under 100% load it vdroops down to 1.512v.

I am new to overclocking as well, I assume LLC is a given when overclocking.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
No it is not a given. No MSI board has it and some Asrock boards do not have it. All ASUS and Gigabyte boards do have it except for the earliest versions of the UD3.

Also, even with LLC vdroop happens. You have to run extreme LLC to completely eliminate it and that causes temperatures to soar into smoke and flames territory. I use normal LLC and live with the vdroop and cooler temperatures.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts