Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got coolbits and tried to overclock my Nvidia FX5600. I also noticed in another Threadand this guy had a 5600 also and his stock clocks were a lot higher than mine (core-234mhz, mem-399mhz).

Anyways to my problem, if I adjust the speeds higher or lower, the performance of the card falls on its face. Here are some FPS tests I did with 3dmark2001

Test------Stock Card------MemOnly+22mhz------CoreOnly+31mhz
Game1Low 71.9fps------------26.2fps---------------25.8fps
Game1High 35.5fps------------16.5fps---------------16.3fps
Game3High 44.8fps------------15.9fps---------------15.0fps
HighResTest22.0fps-------------7.2fps----------------6.9fps

I then took off like 20mhz on the core and it had similar readings the core +

Is there something limiting my actions? Thank you for the help

·
Premium Member
22,000 Posts
Well, I know little about NVidia cards, but I would reccomend that you find some modded drivers (like the omega's ) and install them. What program are you using to overclock?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp

Well, I know little about NVidia cards, but I would reccomend that you find some modded drivers (like the omega's ) and install them. What program are you using to overclock?

Coolbits mod for the Nvidia driver

·
Premium Member
22,000 Posts
Hmm... Give me a sec to look into that.

·
Premium Member
22,000 Posts
I woud take off coolbits and install the omega drivers, they should have thire own overclocking software built in. If not, look into powerstrip.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
You are probably experiencing what is called thermal throttling. If you have poor cooling and overclock your GPU, you will score less becuause the card will actually UNDERCLOCK ITSELF. Here is the solution.

1. Get yourself an Arctic Silencer with some Arctic Silver 5 and replace your stock cooling solution. That will help bring your temps undercontroll.

2. Find some Modded BIOS that removes Thermal Throttling, Adjusts your Memory latencies, etc. That will allow you maximum overclocking potential.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know what, the Omega Drivers kick ass and the NVidia one sucks. There are now definate performance gains when I installed the performance option and now have it clocked up 40 on the core and 60 on the memory. I gained 15 fps average on one of the games.

·
Premium Member
22,000 Posts
See? I may know little about heat problems, but I'm good for something.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I stopped OCing because I realized I could damage the card without upgrading the heatsink, but so far I am at 295 mhz core and 490 mhz memory. I can even run BF1942 on high without any lag! Before I was running it at low and it was okay in performance. Its is unbelievable, I didn't think this card could do it.

·
Premium Member
22,000 Posts
Yeah, I would net be too worried about heat, unless you get over 50*Celcius.

I have overclocked my card from 324/195 to 450/250 all on the stock heatsink with no problem.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Hey I have a PNY FX5600 256mb card. I've never OC'd it (not even sure how to) but If I did want to OC it a little (on stock cooling) just in the mean time before I get another card what's the first step that I should take? I know AS5 is a start but what else? I got those Omega drivers but haven't installed them yet. What do you guys use to monitor the temps? I already use MM5 to monitor my cpu & case, can it monitor the gpu temps too?

btw sorry BlazeR I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transonic

Hey I have a PNY FX5600 256mb card. I've never OC'd it (not even sure how to) but If I did want to OC it a little (on stock cooling) just in the mean time before I get another card what's the first step that I should take? I know AS5 is a start but what else? I got those Omega drivers but haven't installed them yet. What do you guys use to monitor the temps? I already use MM5 to monitor my cpu & case, can it monitor the gpu temps too?

btw sorry BlazeR I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

I dont care, as long as people are getting help. I use the ASUS pc probe to monitor mobo and cpu temps. I don't think the FX5200 or 5600 have temperature capabilities. Is there a temp probe aftermarket for the thing?

Anyways, if your are planning on getting a new card, I would just raise the memory speed like 60mhz and a little less on the core and it should work. I raised mine from 399 to 490 and 234 to 295 and the stock heatsink is cool to the touch.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Use the new vstudio extreme 71.20b driver. it is a modded 71.20 wich i find is very nice. it increased my speed dramaticaly. well since you dont have a 6 series card don't be upset. they made ones exactly for the geforce users that missed out on such a leap in performance from the 71.20's so here are the links to the drivers also it comes with the registry hack. so you get the overclocking and you get the agp settings etc. HOPE U ENJOY

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=947

1 - 14 of 14 Posts