Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using the program MSI afterburner and it appears it won't let me overlcock. I can change my fan speeds but not my core clock. When I put my core clock up to 750 (the default is 650) it automatically goes back to default.
Can you help?
Thanks

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
I believe you need to save your profile or something and then set it to load up on startup.

I may be thinking of ATiTool thhough

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Well i am pretty sure it works like this with there being a limit on your card set in the bios so you will need to use an alternative app or mess with the bios

My 4870 will not overclock above 790/1100 in MSI afterburner or CCC BUT Rivatuner works just fine and i've ran it up to 830/1100 no problem

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have no experience with overclocking your graphics card, but you may be trying to overclock past CCC settings on MSI afterburner. When you try this, it will reset to stock no matter what. There are programs that can bypass that, or you could go into your MSI Afterburner folder in Program Files, and go to MSIAfterburner.cfg file and open it up with notepad. At the bottom, there should be an option called "Enableunofficialoverclocking = 0". Change the value to "1" so it would read "Enableunofficialoverclocking = 1", and save the file. This should allow you to overclock past CCC settings

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rewindlabs View Post
Well i am pretty sure it works like this with there being a limit on your card set in the bios so you will need to use an alternative app or mess with the bios

My 4870 will not overclock above 790/1100 in MSI afterburner or CCC BUT Rivatuner works just fine and i've ran it up to 830/1100 no problem
Yeah my mate has just told me to download and use this it seems to be working thanks! +rep

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BMorrisSly View Post
Yeah my mate has just told me to download and use this it seems to be working thanks! +rep
Or as said above you can modify Afterburner instead

Either way happy overclocking

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I seem to have another problem now. I overclocked my graphics card to 700MHz. It appears to be fine in every game I play apart from Battlefield BC2. Any help?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by hermitmaster
View Post

Make sure you use a stability test (Furmark, ATITool) to see if your OC is stable. If not, back it off a bit and try again.

By any chance is the ATI tool the image of a flussy cube or something (don't know how to describe). I used that and there were no errors what so ever.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it runs for a bit, then after a while it goes all white/black and crashes the PC. Just to let you know I can't check anything at the moment because I'm not next to my desktop.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I would recommend setting the memory clock at default and finding the max stable core clock. After you find that, then start bumping up the memory clock.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by hermitmaster
View Post

Good luck! I know on my current card I can push the core by like 80-90mhz, but if I touch the memory I get random crashes.

I overclocked the core to 700MHz and on BC2 it doesn't even start the game, it loads it and everything, just doesn't want me in a game. So I'm not sure what is going on.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, well when I use ATI tool it seems to let me go up to like 760MHz with no problem then when I launch any game my PC will crash.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts