Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have never OCd a graphics card before and I wanted to try it out. I have the EVGA Precision tool open and I have the Core/Shader clock linked so when I increase the core it auto increases the shader. However, the Memory clock stays the same and I don't know where to put it. I also don't know how much to even try for or what to shoot for (or where to start!)

Do I want both GPUs (GPU1 + GPU2) to have the same exact clocks? Do I OC one and leave the other default?

Default settings are:

Core: 576
Shader: 1242
Memory: 999

Max settings allowed are (haven't applied these):

Core: 925
Shader: 1994
Memory: 1600

Where to start?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Is your card a dual PCB "sandwich" card? Or a single PCB "CO-OP"?

EDIT: Based on those clocks, it's a dual-PCB. My first bit of advice would be to download MSI Afterburner so you can control voltage. This will aid you in achieving higher overclocks.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo_Punk_2.0 View Post
Is your card a dual PCB "sandwich" card? Or a single PCB "CO-OP"?

EDIT: Based on those clocks, it's a dual-PCB. My first bit of advice would be to download MSI Afterburner so you can control voltage. This will aid you in achieving higher overclocks.
It is the dual PCB card. I will get MSI Afterburner, but again I have no idea even where to start in changing the clocks, what to shoot for, and also the voltage to go along with it.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
No, you don't *need* to install kombustor. But it is good for testing stability and temperatures after overclocking.

For reference, here was a solid overclock I achieved on my 295. If you need anymore help getting MSI Afterburner setup. Let me know...

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

No, you don't *need* to install kombustor. But it is good for testing stability and temperatures after overclocking.

For reference, here was a solid overclock I achieved on my 295. If you need anymore help getting MSI Afterburner setup. Let me know...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...X295Clocks.jpg
I am starting out putting in your settings and seeing what happens. I would like to go increment by increment though. I can't get the fan speed to 100%. Even if it user defined it only stays at 80%.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_xpert View Post
I am starting out putting in your settings and seeing what happens. I would like to go increment by increment though. I can't get the fan speed to 100%. Even if it user defined it only stays at 80%.
In the Settings Tab under General, switch from GPU1 to GPU2... you should now have fan control. Also, make sure Voltage Control, Voltage Monitoring, and Synchronize are checked.

If you're going to be running 100% fan, I would think that your card would be able to handle those clocks, but incrementally is definitely a good way to go. From what I can remember, I was only able to get like 630mhz on the core before needing more voltage.

• Rep+
Reactions: the_xpert

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,295 Posts
+300mhz on the core...
+700mhz on the shader...
+650mhz on the memory...

I HIGHLY doubt that you will manage those clocks... Unless you are about to try to volt mod it AND put a waterblock on it, I wouldn't try it. If you did manage that though... I think you'd give a 5970 a run for it's money.

Be like... O_O "Did the 295 just go Super Saiyan!?"

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post
+300mhz on the core...
+700mhz on the shader...
+650mhz on the memory...

I HIGHLY doubt that you will manage those clocks... Unless you are about to try to volt mod it AND put a waterblock on it, I wouldn't try it. If you did manage that though... I think you'd give a 5970 a run for it's money.

Be like... O_O "Did the 295 just go Super Saiyan!?"
Here I am, with his exact clocks.

The 100% fan sounds like a jet engine. Any stability tests to run to check this now (OCCT?) Do I really need this fan at 100% because if I leave it at auto the fan is only running at 41%?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
You can make a custom fan profile under the "Fan" tab...

Your idle temps are concerning me a bit, but I just like to run things extra cool.

If you have to, drop it down to 1050mv, and go with a 675mhz core clock... leave the ram set at 1200 or so.

BTW: Link your core and shader clocks for now.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

You can make a custom fan profile under the "Fan" tab...

Your idle temps are concerning me a bit, but I just like to run things extra cool.

If you have to, drop it down to 1050mv, and go with a 675mhz core clock... leave the ram set at 1200 or so.
Just made the custom profile:

50C = 50% Speed
80C = 100% Speed

What kind of stress tests should I bench to ensure stability? (How many runs/How long?)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_xpert View Post
Just made the custom profile:

50C = 50% Speed
80C = 100% Speed

What kind of stress tests should I bench to ensure stability? (How many runs/How long?)
Game on it...

Many others would say Furmark, Kombustor, or OCCT GPU, but I just game on my clocks. If everything is good thermally with no artifacts, it's good to me.

If you've got Crysis, play it on Very High for awhile. Or, just run the Crysis Benchmark Tool, set on 10 loops or so. Keep tabs on your temps though.

·
3DFX User
7,278 Posts
Im trying to adjust my voltage in msi afterburner and I checked unlcok voltage and it is still greyed out what gives?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
hes running an evga gtx2xx card he should be using the gpu voltage tool you can get off evga

·
3DFX User
7,278 Posts
I dont think evga precision will let you fool with voltages?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Time to test some OC's

·
Registered
48 Posts
How are you guys able to change your Core Voltage in Afterburner?

I have a MSI GTX295 and the bar is grayed out for me, I've tried every setting to change it. I've noticed you guys were using older drives, I just installed 258.96, maybe thats the reason?

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I run crysis or 3dmark06, my clocks sometimes stay at some low number in CPU-z such as 300/400/800. Then I get horrible FPS...I have to disable SLI and reinable it to get my clocks back at the standard 576/1242/999. Anyone know why?

And I can't seem to get 715/1530/1212 stable even with 1.2v...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts