Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Software Developer
7,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Overclocking the graphics card will go hand in hand with an increased power consumption. Both, raising the frequency and/or voltage will lead to a higher power consumption of the GPU. Someone recently asked me on Facebook how to increase the Power Limit of a GTX 970 so I decided to write this small guide for all of you.
Title is sensationalist as he (or she) demonstrates the GTX 980, GTX 970, and the 970 STRIX. Still though, it's a clean write up / guide. It's basically a Power Target bypass.

Source: http://overclocking.guide/increase-the-nvidia-power-limit-all-cards/

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
You should precise in the title this is a hard mod IMO.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
but can i reduce power limit? I want to build a low power consuming rig and i really dont want the 970 to boost and infact i want to drop the TDP further for lower temps

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a nickname View Post

You should precise in the title this is a hard mod IMO.
^ This.

Interesting information though.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Painting some liquid metal across a couple resistors is deemed a hard mod? =/

Sounds pretty basic, I'll try this as soon as a water block is available for my card. Looking forward to it. Thanks a million for the post OP.

·
The Necromancer
2,243 Posts
I'm confused why he used the Gigabyte G1 Gaming as the card that will throttle, when it actually has the highest stock power limit o_O
talking about the card not being able to hold the stock 1329 core clock? what?... I was able to overclock the core to 1550 before even having to touch the voltage/power limit in anyway.
G1 gaming has a TDP of 250watts on the bios.

What am I missing here? -_-

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
This is confusing. I have the Asus 970 Strix and I don't get throttled like the G1s etc. I am solid 24/7 on 1573/2073 without throttling at load. I only get throttled if I try to push 1620+ on air and the temps get about ~75c. I've posted the proof through the 970 thread on OCN.

·
Premium Member
10,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akromatic View Post

but can i reduce power limit? I want to build a low power consuming rig and i really dont want the 970 to boost and infact i want to drop the TDP further for lower temps
You can do that easily either in OS or in the bios of the card. You can set them all the way down to throttling to hold ~100w.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimDoctor View Post

This is confusing. I have the Asus 970 Strix and I don't get throttled like the G1s etc. I am solid 24/7 on 1573/2073 without throttling at load. I only get throttled if I try to push 1620+ on air and the temps get about ~75c. I've posted the proof through the 970 thread on OCN.
You're only using 1.2v?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimDoctor View Post

Try Dragon Age Inquisition (or any other demanding game) at 4k DSR with Max In-Games Setting and see how long it lasts before it crashes.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Anyone got a 750ti they want to try to kill before I do?
tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowtek View Post

ooo sweet... when the gtx 960 wrx sti rar spec c 1532 comes out ill be sure to try this out
lachen.gif

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoriam View Post

I'm confused why he used the Gigabyte G1 Gaming as the card that will throttle, when it actually has the highest stock power limit o_O
talking about the card not being able to hold the stock 1329 core clock? what?... I was able to overclock the core to 1550 before even having to touch the voltage/power limit in anyway.

Not missing anything, just a dumb article from a person who obviously hasn't used a card or looked at the BIOS..

BTW: someone PLEASE explain to me where this 145W TDP comes from, I've yet to see a BIOS with that low number.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro999 View Post

You can do that easily either in OS or in the bios of the card. You can set them all the way down to throttling to hold ~100w.
You're only using 1.2v?
Yes 1.2v, stock bios. More importantly, I'm not the only person doing that. Asus forums, LTT forums, OCN if you look. Sorry but last time you questioned me without even checking OCN via a search and it appears it's happening again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard2lx View Post

Try Dragon Age Inquisition (or any other demanding game) at 4k DSR with Max In-Games Setting and see how long it lasts before it crashes.
That was my biggest in game stress test until Lords of the Fallen and it's stable in both without throttling. If you bothered to read the thread or look at the screen shots you would've seen that. DAI, ACU, LotF - the ones I haven't added yet, FC4, MGSGZ because I have just got them but not having any issues there either.

·
Premium Member
10,755 Posts
There is a HUGE difference between "questioning you" and asking you a question. Are we expected to google search peoples usernames before inquiring anything about them or their hardware? If/when i talked to you before, the name got lost (lot of posters around here)

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Oh wow, a simple shorting of these resisters. I'd only test this under water, and I'd expect some to fry their cards as they go one step beyond what they should.

To those saying this is a hard mod, I'd say it's an Easy Mod to do and return to stock if you know what you are doing. If not don't bother. Many hard mods have you cutting traces etc. This one does not. You are in essence shorting a resister the easy way, so the system does not see it.

While there are several ways to do this I'd test several ways to see what works long term.

OT:

The unknown part about this is what in the world happens if when tested 980's / 970 go Postal in performance under water...
:clock:
I cannot wait to see results...
:wheee:

My about to be retired Titan might get a second lease on life after all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoriam View Post

Hey!

That's GPU dependant. The sample I had could not hold the clock on load and I could not clock as high as you by far. Maybe because it was a pre-release sample - not sure. But as I wrote in the article it's just an example anyway to explain the boost
smile.gif

It's more a guide for the cards which are really locked like a Palit GTX 970 which clocks down after hitting 150 W on load. My GTX 980 Strix also doesn't need any modding. Even with Liquid Nitrogen I can clock up to 2100 MHz without issues.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.