Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im currently overclocking a E6550 for practice but i plan on upgrading to a Q9550. My set overclock that im trying to achieve on the E6550 is 3.0ghz and when i get the Q9550 i plan to overclock it to 3.4-3.6 roughly.

Im currently running a zerotherm CF900 heatsink but im sure its not designed for overclocking.

What are your guys recommendations for a good overclocking heatsink for the 775 socket?

Someone suggested this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233029

Also for a mid-tower case i got 2 cooler master 120mm fans(front and rear) pushing around 40-45cfm. Is this sufficient or do i need two 120mm that push a higher CFM?

Thanks

·
Registered
984 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^

what he said. those are THE 2 best air coolers. silver arrow is a teensy bit cooler but it's availability is really sketchy, especially where i live

·
Registered
984 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky 23
View Post

Sweet thanks ill check those out.

Is the Dark Knight cooler not that good?

What do you guys think about the 2 120mm fans? Is 40ish cfm each good enough air flow?

it is a very good heatsink but this site is overclock.net the pursuit of performance not the pursuit of mediocracy. ur choice but the evidence is here

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/71...noctua-nh.html

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
The Dark knight is a good heat sink. Keeps my Q6600 under control (the S1283 is a dark knight, just not anodized is all)

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Iconoclast
30,777 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Is the Dark Knight cooler not that good?

Not for a quad.

Quote:

View Post

Ok just making sure i dont want to waste money on something that wont work well.

WOW a 10c difference on prime95 ok dark knight is out LOL

My TRUE was easily 10-15C better on my X3350 (the Xeon equivalent of a Q9450) at 3.8GHz, than my HDT-1283 (same thing as the darknight, but without the black lacquer) was.

My Cogage Arrow is even better still.

The DK/1283 is great for dual-cores, but simply does not have the heatpipe volume or surface area to keep up with high clocked quads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smash_mouth01
View Post

Well the NH-D14 from what I have heard has better ram compatibility than the Silver Arrow.

This is true if you use a front fan.

I only use a single fan in the middle of my Arrow, and have zero compatability problems even with very tall heatspreaders.

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Don't waste your money.

3.4 - 3.6ghz is easily achievable on the Mugen 2. You could actually go to 4ghz very easily with good fans in push pull.

With two FM121 fans, I took my i7 920 to 4.2ghz with HT on with very acceptable temps

1 - 20 of 22 Posts