Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!
I'm brand new to overclocking AND this forum. So If I'm posting in the wrong place PLEASE put me in the right direction.

I just built a new PC and oc'd the CPU for the first time. I got it from 3.7 to 4.0. Anything over that crashes Cinebench. I'm thinking the next logical step is to oc the RAM. 'course I have no clue how to do that, since I no nothing about memory timing control or frequency or voltage or any of that. I got some advice for Toms Hardware to OC my CPU.

So far I've, oc 'd the CPU to 4.0.
Left the blck at 100 MHz.
Disabled global Cstates. Whatever that is!

I was also told to make the LLC mid range and to set the current capability to 120%. I have no clue what those are. My BIOS has a power supply idle control with the options of typical, low or Auto. I'm thinking maybe that's the LLC? I dunno but I left that on Auto.

Anyway everything is running smoothly so far. Do I need to be oc'ing the RAM now to see if I can get better scores?

Or where should I go to learn this stuff?

Ryzen 7 2700X
Noctua NH-D15S Cooler
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING AM4
Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz C15
XFX Radeon RX-580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB

Thanks everyone!!

Beau

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
As you're finding out, "cookbook" overclocking doesn't work very well - you have no idea what you've done, so you have no idea how to fix it.

"Overclocking is a slow and methodical process of trial and error, mostly error, often accompanied by cold sweats in the dark of the night....then you succeed."

The first thing to do is to figure our what is failing, CPU, Memory, video card, whatever, then you can work on fixing that.
Read, read and read some more.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As you're finding out, "cookbook" overclocking doesn't work very well - you have no idea what you've done, so you have no idea how to fix it.

"Overclocking is a slow and methodical process of trial and error, mostly error, often accompanied by cold sweats in the dark of the night....then you succeed."

The first thing to do is to figure our what is failing, CPU, Memory, video card, whatever, then you can work on fixing that.
Read, read and read some more.

Well I certainly don't mind reading to learn the stuff, I just don't know where to start. I'm sorry, I thought this was the kind of place one goes to learn.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Overclocking is a lot like learning to ride a two wheel bicycle. No matter what people tell you, you don't learn until you actually try it. "Turn towards the direction you're falling." makes no sense to the novice.
Read, and ask questions about what you don't understand ... That's what OCN id here for.
Overclocking ... "He who tries the most things goes the fastest".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts