Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I want to OC my CPU more but in order for me to do this I have to up the voltage on the CPU. At stock, the CPU ran 1.79GHz/1.4 voltage. Right now I have it at 2.66GHz/1.675 voltage. This is the max oc'ing I can do with this voltage for it to be stable. The problem is that when I hit 2.7GHz/1.7 voltage for CPU, then the computer shuts down after about 5 min of usage. It's not over heating because I have liquid cooling but I can't find out why this is happening. Then when I up the voltage to a 1.725 at 2.7 Ghz, the computer just freezes. What should I do in order to reach a higher CPU speed?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Thats a good OC. You might have gotten as far as possible. I saw that your load temps are 59C. Thats a little hot (not enough to overheat though). Just because you have liquid cooling doesn't mean you can go as far as you want and now worry about overheating, just means you can go farther than on air. Is your CPU unlocked? If it is, up the multiplier some, and the clock will go up.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Waupli
View Post

Thats a good OC. You might have gotten as far as possible. I saw that your load temps are 59C. Thats a little hot (not enough to overheat though). Just because you have liquid cooling doesn't mean you can go as far as you want and now worry about overheating, just means you can go farther than on air. Is your CPU unlocked? If it is, up the multiplier some, and the clock will go up.

no, the CPU is locked

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Yeah thats probably as far is it can go, its a good speed though. Much better than mine.

Maybe look at overclocking your RAM or GPU? >_<

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
what kind of power supply are you using...the DFI's are picky about power supplys used...?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_bowtie View Post
what kind of power supply are you using...the DFI's are picky about power supplys used...?
it's a 550watt Logisys
I would like to get the CPU up a 3.0Ghz

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, I have a similar issue with my 3700. Are voltages that high safe for 90nm chips? My 3700 won't get to 2.7ghz unless I give it at least 1.6v. It's on air cooling but the temps are still very low (lower than 40C at load). Everyone is telling me to keep it below 1.55v when I'm using air cooling, but I want to know why. Will high voltages reduce the life of a chip even if the temps are low?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts