Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a complete overclocking noob, but I'd like to learn about overclocking my Q9550. I figured I'd start by going to 3.2GHz from 2.83. I'd like to ask if anybody can give me a step by step stupid proof guide to overclocking my Q9550. I tried the "Automatic Overclock" jumpers on my motherboard, but they just made my system crash. Can anybody assist me with this? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The only 3 things that you should worry about with that moderate of an OC is the FSB (Front Side Bus), vCore (CPU Voltage), and NB (North Bridge).

First thing you will want to do is raise your vCore to, say, 1.3v.

Than, once that is set, raise your FSB to 380. Since the Q9550 has a multiplier of 8.5, 380 x 8.5 = 3230Mhz or 3.23Ghz.

Once you have all of those set, raise your NB voltage a step and than attempt to boot into windows. Let me know what happens.

If at all possible, pictures of your BIOS would be much appreciated in us attempting to help you with your OC.

·
Registered
505 Posts
there are several excellet guides on the forums for that, basically you want to start by setting your vcore to about 1.35 then rasing your FSB in increments of 5 or 10 until you get the speed you want

if you boot into windows successfully, run intel burn test (google for free) and see if you crash, if you dont, keep raising the fsb. when you hit the fsb max and start crashing even when you raise the fsb by 1, you can start raising the voltage VERY SLOWLY

do NOT go over 1.45 vcore

what are you cooling with

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm... Can't seem to change the CPU VCore... I figure something's locking it because it's grayed out, but I can't find out what's locking it. I can't get pictures, cuz I don't have a camera. Is it hopeless?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Do you have a camera on your phone?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, but I can't get pics off my phone. I don't have data, so I can't email, and I don't have a USB cable for my phone, because Sprint wants like $20 for that. Hell with that. I can't figure out this BIOS, and because it's apparently a pretty unknown board, I can't find any guides or anything... This might be more trouble than it's worth...

·
Registered
505 Posts
lol i think you should maybe leave well enough alone, spend some time reading on OCing before you jump in like this

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I read stuff, and looked at threads, but it seems like something you have to do to get the hang of. I'll research some more, but I dunno.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by !ender_
View Post

lol i think you should maybe leave well enough alone, spend some time reading on OCing before you jump in like this

Agreed, a good place to start is here on the forums. There are several guides available that can help you nail down some concrete ideas and goals for your OC.

This guide would be a good place to start reading and learning about concepts and functions.

PaulDovi's Overlclocking Guide

1 - 9 of 9 Posts