Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I've just ordered a brand new i5-3470 and MSI Z77A-G43 motherboard to go with it.

The question is how do I overclock it? Do I turn off turbo and just set the multiplier to 40? If so, will the frequency automatically drop to 3.8Ghz with 4 cores active? Or maybe I should set the multiplier to 38 and leave the turbo on? What's the best way to go about it?

Regards,
M

·
:)
553 Posts
You can raise the turbo multiplier by 4 bins thus giving you a 400mhz overclock on all non K ivy bridge processors. Other than that, you're stuck with 4ghz unless you raise the BCLK a couple notches (100-107) but you raise the risk of instability if you up the BCLK too much as it overclocks other parts in your system as well.

So yes, leave turbo on and up your multiplier by 4, but it looks like you already did
thumb.gif

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Naah, I took the screenshot from anandtech review of that CPU. But if I up the multiplier by 4 wouldn't the CPU-Z say the Core Speed is 3,6Ghz? (the standard multiplier for that CPU is 32). Perhaps turning off turbo boost will allow me to get full 4Ghz with 40 multiplier, but the question is will it downclock to 3,8Ghz with 4 active cores? Will it even be stable?

·
:)
553 Posts
It will show 3.6ghz but it will turbo to 4ghz when you load an application, all four cores will only turbo to 3.8 and 4ghz for single/dual core. If for some reason you can still get that 40 multiplier with turbo off then go for it, as it will allow all 4 cores to run at 4ghz simultaneously.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I'm able to get 3.8 GHz on all 4 cores, and turbo boost will allow 3.9 on 2 or 3 cores, and 4.0 when a single core is loaded. The 38x multi will run indefinitely. I left all the EIST and TBT settings enabled, so it downclocks to 1.6 when not loaded. There's no need to disable cores in the BIOS.

With a bclk of 105.3, you can have 4GHz on all four cores.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the x40 multi anandtech suggested is not in fact a stable multiplier for this CPU?
frown.gif

Is the 105 bclk absolutely safe and stable?

The parts will probably arrive on monday, I'll update.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoidal View Post

So the x40 multi anandtech suggested is not in fact a stable multiplier for this CPU?
frown.gif
It's stable in the sense that the computer won't crash, but mine overrides the 40x multi with a 38x once all cores are loaded. It's part of turbo boost, 40x is only allowed on a single core.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoidal View Post

What do you mean overrides x40? Isn't 3,8 max freq for all cores loaded? Or do you mean with 105 bclk?
The governor on the chip will only allow a multiplier of 38 on every core at the same time. A single core can have a multiplier of 40, but the other cores will not have this multiplier and/or they will be in a halt state.

Bclk has nothing to do with the multiplier the chip will allow. But yes, it's 3.8 at 100 bclk and ~4.0 at 105.

If you do not touch the Bclk, the max you will see is 3.8GHz on all cores.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I got the system up and running. It crashed and went into a boot loop when I set the multi to x40, oh well... It runs perfectly with multi x38 and turbo boost / intel enhanced turbo ON. What bothers me a bit is the 40C idle temp, but I guess that's what Ivy bridge does...

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Odd, my multi is set to 40 and it works just fine (at 3.8)

You may want to look at your heatsink mount. I'm using a stock 1156 heatsink with the fan upside down and don't have any issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Done a lot of trial and error work. finally managed to make a stable overclock on the 3470 non k series...... tested it with prime95, temps did not go over 40 degree c..... no troubles with booting or anything, runs like a dream.

let me know what you guys think. im not a real big overclock guru, this is really one of my first attempts at overclocking, and just tweeked my settings based on info i was reading about the non k series 3470 and what other people have attempted.

also, this is my second comp build ive done and decided to water cool as well and go gigabyte 7870oc crossfire as well.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitz9417 View Post

hi i have a asrock H77 Pro4/MVP and im getting a i5 3470 will i be able to overclock it a bit
Probably not as the h77 boards I've seen don't allow you to adjust the multiplier at all, regardless of what the cpu will actually support. There is always the BCLK option, but again the boards don't usually support it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I know it's an old topic but I was wondering how to do it the easy way, as this processor supposed to be locked for oc i thought it will be difficult but it is supper simple. Please look at my screenshot bellow:

I just used easytune 6 from gigabyte and selected option 3 for maximum possible in 'auto mode', pc is stable and you can feel a lot of boost in the performance, also stuttering on my 7870ghz oc edition finally gone away.

BTW all options regarding oc on my bios were inactive the only thing I could activate was ram boost to 1666, this was the reason I was looking for some other way to oc that proc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts