Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am new to overclocking. Before I attempt to overclock my CPU, I'm doing some stress tests using AIDA64. I have a Corsair h100i water cooler. When running stress tests, my CPU cores are around 68c/70c, sometimes hitting 71c. Is this too high? And what are safes temps for this CPU?

My Rig:
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K 3.5Ghz (Plan to overclock to around 4.2/4.4)
GPU: SLI / 2 x 4GB EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Pro Series 2133Mhz
PSU: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA G2
Primary SSD: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO Basic
Secondary HDD: 1TB WD Green
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Monitor: 28" Asus PB287Q LED 4K UHD Gaming Monitor
Case: NZXT H440 White

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have mostly the same build, with the i5-4690k and the same 2 970's, and at stock my temps were 55 under load with an h100i. I was using SP120's however, and not the included fans.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombywafflez View Post

I have mostly the same build, with the i5-4690k and the same 2 970's, and at stock my temps were 55 under load with an h100i. I was using SP120's however, and not the included fans.
I have the same case as him, and I'm wondering if his PC is running warm due to the poor airflow of the H440.

OP, try moving your H100i rad to the front of the case with the fans taking in fresh air. I found this helped temps on my 4790K.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan98 View Post

They seem pretty high for stock. Are you using adaptive/auto voltage setting in the BIOS at the moment?
Ive not changed any settings. I will have a look. When i installed the cooler, the thermal paste looked fairly thin. i didnt touch it at all. Could it be that?

Also, are the stock fans with the h100i any good? Would it worth upgrading the fans.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:

I have the same case as him, and I'm wondering if his PC is running warm due to the poor airflow of the H440.

OP, try moving your H100i rad to the front of the case with the fans taking in fresh air. I found this helped temps on my 4790K.
I run the h100i front mounted in a carbide 540 and can confirm that it did drop temps for the CPU. The temps on the 970's will rise however as a result, but with their low TDP they should be fine.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Could i do that? As you know there are hdd cages at the front or are they removable?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebmeikle View Post

Ive not changed any settings. I will have a look. When i installed the cooler, the thermal paste looked fairly thin. i didnt touch it at all. Could it be that?

Also, are the stock fans with the h100i any good? Would it worth upgrading the fans.
The fans are fine imo. Go into the bios, set the CPU VCore to 1.25v and up your multiplier to 44. Stress test that and report back.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

The fans are fine imo. Go into the bios, set the CPU VCore to 1.25v and up your multiplier to 44. Stress test that and report back.
Ok. I think my previous temp. results on stress testing at stock were mainly down to the room being so warm. I didn't think of it at the time, but my partner has the fan heater on and it was making the room quite warm.

I did some more stress tests at stock, with a cooler room. And saw an average temp of around 66c.

I've done an overclock to 4.4Ghz with a voltage of 1.25 as you advised. I ran the test for 2.5min, I don't want to run it too long as I'm new to this.

The temps hovered around 75c, sometimes hitting 80c for a second then dropping back down. I pushed the h100 fans speed up to max to be safe for now.

How do these results look?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I had a system crash after a while. I wasn't doing any stress test and my system just froze. I've put everything back to stock for now.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
For started, put x45 multiplier, set core voltage into 1.25 volt, set the uncore into 40, input voltage into 1.85 volt....run AIDA 64 (stress and CPU stress thicked), XTU benchmarking....and see how it performs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
At 1.25v I would raise your VRIN up to abou 2v instead of the 1.8. That might have caused the initial freeze. I would also watch the uncore and its voltage. If they are set to auto they have a good change of spiking. I would put the uncore to x35 to start and then put it at a voltage of 1.1v.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts