Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm a new user and I found this forum really interesting.

I would like to Overclock my CPU, but being a newbie on the topic I would appreciate to receive your suggestions.

This is my system:

Cpu: i5 6600k

Cooler: Hyper 212 evo

Mobo: Asus z170 pro gaming

Ram: HyperX FURY 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz Memory Kit (2 x 8 GB)

Which could be the best way to overclock my CPU at 4.5ghz or higher? Is it possible with my cooler?

Thanks a lot to everyone in advance!

thumb.gif

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
You should be fine as you don't have an i7. Stay under 85C on CPU temperatures and you'll be fine. Also use this image below:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen50 View Post

You should be fine as you don't have an i7. Stay under 85C on CPU temperatures and you'll be fine. Also use this image below:

Thank you Benjamen!

I'll try to check this setting in my BIOS??

Anyone suggest any setting in particular? Maybe already tested by a user?

Thanks guys for your time

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
You will have to experiment. I use a haswell refresh cpu and am not familiar with all of the skylake voltages. I know theres vrin voltage which should be around 1.7-1.95v. CPU ring /cache voltage around 1.25v max. CPU voltage don't go above 1.4v.

Start with 4.5 GHz, 1.32v cpu voltage with a vrin of 1.9v. See if that works. You will need to stress test it with a program such as prime95 v26.6, AIDA 64, asus realbench, XTU benchmark or stress test. Use realtemp for cpu temperature monitor and hwinfo64 to monitor the cpu voltage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen50 View Post

You will have to experiment. I use a haswell refresh cpu and am not familiar with all of the skylake voltages. I knoe theres vrin voltage which should be around 1.7-1.95v. CPU ring /cache voltage around 1.25v max. CPU voltage don't go above 1.4v.

Start with 4.5 GHz, 1.32v cpu voltage with a vrin of 1.9v. See if that works. You will need to stress test it with a program such as prime95 v26.6, AIDA 64, asus realbench, XTU benchmark or stress test. Use realtemp for cpu temperature monitor and hwinfo64 to monitor the cpu voltage.
I will experiment then, thank you again Benjamen
smile.gif

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have your exact setup, except different RAM.

here is my settings:

I have it to almost 4.5ghz... It could prolly go further pretty easily, but, I wanted to keep the voltages below 1.35v, as I want it to last as long as possible, and I am generally GPU bound anyway.

Cooling hasn't seemed to be an issue, the evo is pretty good for that.

I have a negative voltage offset, and I put it on auto.. It drops the core voltage down to ~0.7v. That isn't necessary, but, I like it.

All in all I really like the setup. the mobo, and cpu seem to be great picks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketatrypt View Post

I have your exact setup, except different RAM.

here is my settings:

I have it to almost 4.5ghz... It could prolly go further pretty easily, but, I wanted to keep the voltages below 1.35v, as I want it to last as long as possible, and I am generally GPU bound anyway.

Cooling hasn't seemed to be an issue, the evo is pretty good for that.

I have a negative voltage offset, and I put it on auto.. It drops the core voltage down to ~0.7v. That isn't necessary, but, I like it.

All in all I really like the setup. the mobo, and cpu seem to be great picks.
Hey ketatryp,

Thanks a lot for your reply!

I know that my question could piss you off but being a really noob on overclock topic could you please tell me which parameter to change in my BIOS? If I understood well we have the same mobo.
In case it requires too much time for you, I still really appreciate your previous reply indeed.

Cheers!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would not recommend just 'copying' over settings like that.. Even though we have the same CPU and mobo, all chips are different. Even if they came from the same lot, or even the same wafer for that matter. What runs for me, may not run for you.

The best thing you can really do is just read everything over, and start the overclocking process yourself, rather then using another persons settings.

As for the main things, all you really need to touch are the core voltage, the multiplier, and, possibly the BLCK frequency. You should be able to leave everything else on auto, or, configured how you like.

just put your voltage to ~1.3v and try clocking to 4.4 ghz, if that works, bump it up to 4.5, and if that holds, so on so forth, until you get what you want..

Personally, I don't want to put any more then 1.35v thru the proc, but, anything up to about 1.45v should be safe for long term use. But of course with any sort of overclocking, there are no guarantees.

Sorry if this wasn't what you were looking for, but I highly suggest not just copy/pasting other peoples bios settings like that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketatrypt View Post

I would not recommend just 'copying' over settings like that.. Even though we have the same CPU and mobo, all chips are different. Even if they came from the same lot, or even the same wafer for that matter. What runs for me, may not run for you.

The best thing you can really do is just read everything over, and start the overclocking process yourself, rather then using another persons settings.

As for the main things, all you really need to touch are the core voltage, the multiplier, and, possibly the BLCK frequency. You should be able to leave everything else on auto, or, configured how you like.

just put your voltage to ~1.3v and try clocking to 4.4 ghz, if that works, bump it up to 4.5, and if that holds, so on so forth, until you get what you want..

Personally, I don't want to put any more then 1.35v thru the proc, but, anything up to about 1.45v should be safe for long term use. But of course with any sort of overclocking, there are no guarantees.

Sorry if this wasn't what you were looking for, but I highly suggest not just copy/pasting other peoples bios settings like that.
That was exactly what I was looking for, honest suggestions!

Thanks a lot again!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts