Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I need help overclocking my computer.

CPU: Intel i5 750 2.66Ghz x4 Quad Core CPU
Motherboard: Intel H55 Chipset Socket 1156, 4 DDR3 Sockets up to DDR3-2000, 6 SATA ports
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD4650 1GB PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Support. VGA/DVI/HDMI outputs
RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333 Dual Channel Memory
HDD: 500GB SATA II 7200RPM

I can find where to set the FSB in the bios but cant select it, its all greyed out. What do I do?

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
What is the make and model of your motherboard?

You've posted up the chipset but not the make.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave123456789
View Post

Hey I need help overclocking my computer.

CPU: Intel i5 750 2.66Ghz x4 Quad Core CPU
Motherboard: Intel H55 Chipset Socket 1156, 4 DDR3 Sockets up to DDR3-2000, 6 SATA ports
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD4650 1GB PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Support. VGA/DVI/HDMI outputs
RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333 Dual Channel Memory
HDD: 500GB SATA II 7200RPM

I can find where to set the FSB in the bios but cant select it, its all greyed out. What do I do?

Wow the H55?? might recommend a better one, but turbo boost should give you some better clock speeds, but send us a bios pic, never dealt with these mobos before but i'm sure there is a way

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Right

You need to go into Cell menu

Disable intel EIST

On CPU Base Frequency you need to increase this to get your desired overclock.

E.G if you wanted to hit 3.6Ghz it'd be 156 because this is then multiplied by your multiplier which is 23 I believe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should I leave turbo on? I was intending to bump my computer up to 3.0ghz as its stock cpu cooling + case fans. CPU-Z reads it as 3.0-3.1ghz with turbo on currently

Edit: Or what could I safely do? Will go out and buy a new cpu cooler asap though.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Nah, turn it off

You should be able to hit 3.6 ghz safely

• Rep+
Reactions: dave123456789

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
If you're hitting the late 70's I'd be concerned.

I would aim for a temp between 60 - 70 ideally

·
Registered
524 Posts
Probably the next best thing we need to know is what is your cpu cooling solution? If you are using the stock HSF (the one that came in the box with your cpu), you might not want to overclock at all since they are a pretty horrible cooling solution for anything other than stock settings.

Also, the I5-750 can safely see temperatures in the low 80s without much concern. Just don't push it past ~85C.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
85c... on a 24 hour clock..... ARE YOU MAD!!!!

Whilst its slightly within the thermal limits of the processor I would NEVER let it run that hot on a 24 hour clock.

Stick between 60 - 70 and you'll not shorten the life of the processor.

On another point. xserpint is right, we need to know your cooling solution.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145
View Post

85c... on a 24 hour clock..... ARE YOU MAD!!!!

Whilst its slightly within the thermal limits of the processor I would NEVER let it run that hot on a 24 hour clock.

Stick between 60 - 70 and you'll not shorten the life of the processor.

On another point. xserpint is right, we need to know your cooling solution.

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I mean 85C under stress testing. I'm not sure you could push enough voltage without popping some capacitors in order to hit 85C idle with any decent cooling solution..

·
Registered
524 Posts
If I were you, I would save that profile in your BIOS if it suports it, then reset it to stock.

Reason being, games are in no way shape or form a means of stability testing a CPU overclock. Programs like OCCT, Linx, prime95 and superPI are.

For cooling solutions, the Corsair H50 is a good solution if you like quiet, and dislike huge metal things hanging off of your motherboard.

For good air solutions, consider the Venomous-X. It is one of the best air coolers out there and it is right in the middle of the road as far as weight goes.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xserpint
View Post

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I mean 85C under stress testing. I'm not sure you could push enough voltage without popping some capacitors in order to hit 85C idle with any decent cooling solution..

That's irrelevant, you could easily hit these tempratures when gaming as i'm sure some games would make your processor hit full load.

And yes, the H50 is an excellent cooler. The megahalems is also in the running, but it is quite a big cooler.

Run something like prime95 or intel burn in to test your processor.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post
That's irrelevant, you could easily hit these tempratures when gaming as i'm sure some games would make your processor hit full load.
Consdering I am running a clock at 4GHz on an 860 with HT on, and run 7x AI on supreme commander with 1k units per player and have yet to hit anything above 70C. I doubt there are any games that can push a CPU that hard currently in the field as long as your stress testing temps are below 85C.

Stress testing will hit a CPU harder than any game ever could. That is a fact. That is the point of stress testing - to apply a load to the system that is higher than anything it will see under normal operation (and gaming does fall under normal operation).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright guys thanks alot.

I think I will go with that Corsair H50, quiet is good and it isnt too badly priced. I should be able to reach the upper end of 3ghz with that right?

I will do a stress test to make sure what I am currently using is fine.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Agreed stress testing will push it, but I'd never have anything running at 85c on a stress test on a 24/7 clock. And i'm 95% a lot of people here would be terrified if something like their i7 was running at 85c on a stress test.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave123456789 View Post

I think I will go with that Corsair H50, quiet is good and it isnt too badly priced. I should be able to reach the upper end of 3ghz with that right?

You should be able to hit 4Ghz with that cooler EASILY!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave123456789 View Post

For stress testing, 25-50 runs of Linx will expose the majority if your problem. An hour of prime is good as well. SuperPI at 16M is a good quick hit to see if you are even remotely close to stable. OCCT is good for hours of burn testing. I personally use SuperPI first, then do 25 runs of Linx, then run 4 hours of OCCT if the first two are clear. If all of that completes without any errors, then I call it stable.

With an H50, you might even be able to pull 4.1 or 4.2GHz out of your cpu since the 750 is a bit cooler than my 860 due to you not having HT to play around with. I have hit 4.2GHz stable on my current setup by disabling HT, but I want HT on for purely personal reasons, so I stepped back to 4GHz.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post
Agreed stress testing will push it, but I'd never have anything running at 85c on a stress test on a 24/7 clock. And i'm 95% a lot of people here would be terrified if something like their i7 was running at 85c on a stress test.

You should be able to hit 4Ghz with that cooler EASILY!
Lynnfield != Bloomfield.

The vast majority of the I7 owners you are talking about are Bloomfield owners. Lynnfield processors do not hit any kind of thermal protection until approximately 90C (depending on the internal sensors accuracy). Lynnfield processors run hotter and can better handle higher temperatures.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts