Overclock.net banner

741 - 760 of 801 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Something isn’t stable. Unlikely to be cpu tho there is a small off chance it might be. What clocks and voltages are you running?

Everything on auto? Memory on auto as well?
Yes
All settings are on mobo stock.
I pulled one of the mem sticks out.
Cleared the cmos . I realize that after I did so, my cpu temps are running around 72 at max which is a 10 degrees lower than the previous time !! Although the previous time I hadn’t changed anything either!!!
and now linpack extreme has been running for 2 hours without errors!!!
I’m really confused 😐
What is going on ?
By the way, is it normal for the system to start for a second and then turn off again and then again start by itself after a second ,the first time you’ve cleared the CMOS??
I doesn’t happen when I shut down my pc and turn it on again. Just when I clear cmos.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Are you still using that tiny one fan air cooler?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
You are confused because you are disregarding the obvious:

A 10700k can’t be expected to perform to Intel specifications using such a tiny cooler.

A 24 hour torture test is a waste of time for testing stability because the CPU will simply downclock to maintain thermals. You are asking the CPU to run a marathon but it’s slowing to a jog to avoid collapsing.

·
Registered
66 Posts

A 10700k can’t be expected to perform to Intel specifications using such a tiny cooler.

A 24 hour torture test is a waste of time for testing stability because the CPU will simply downclock to maintain thermals. You are asking the CPU to run a marathon but it’s slowing to a jog to avoid collapsing.
You’re right.
But im running nothing but stock settings and temps are not more than 75 at max
I have ordered Corsair 100i pro
I’ll have it on Monday I guess.
But does it really solve a problem on stock?

·
Registered
66 Posts

there’s something really strange going on here. When there’s just one mem stick on the mobo, limpack extreme runs fine without errors with CPU temps at 72 at max.
as soon as I put in the second mem stick ,
CPU temps go up to 82c and linpack extreme coms up with errors in about 20 mins!!!
Can u explain this?
Doset it make any sense?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
there’s something really strange going on here. When there’s just one mem stick on the mobo, limpack extreme runs fine without errors with CPU temps at 72 at max.
as soon as I put in the second mem stick ,
CPU temps go up to 82c and linpack extreme coms up with errors in about 20 mins!!!
Can u explain this?
Doset it make any sense?
Z490has dual channel memory. When you have 2 dimms installed, memory bandwidth is doubled. It’s like SLI or crossfire.

With 1 dimm installed, the CPU is waiting on the memory for data.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Z490has dual channel memory. When you have 2 dimms installed, memory bandwidth is doubled. It’s like SLI or crossfire.

With 1 dimm installed, the CPU is waiting on the memory for data.
That’s why then .
So you say it’s still unstable with one memory chip. But linpack would show it much later because it has to wait for memory and temps are lower , right?

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,937 Posts
This^ was just about to reply the same. no it is later because your processor is executing fewer instructions/sec and is not being stressed as much. Tantamount to lowering your frequency.

Sounds like you should take a break until you get your cooler. The 212 just doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This^ was just about to reply the same. no it is later because your processor is executing fewer instructions/sec and is not being stressed as much. Tantamount to lowering your frequency.

Sounds like you should take a break until you get your cooler. The 212 just doesn't cut it.
Will do
Tnx for your help
I’ll get back to u when I install the new cooler

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi
Thanks for replying
I’m using the latest bios version
My idle CPU temperature is around 65 to 67C and under max load around 80 to 87.
There is also no thermal throttling. Just power limit throttling in Intel XTU
Is that a typo? You are idling at 65c? lol what?

Anyway if that is correct you have a cooler mounting issue or some setting is way off.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yeah that’s just memory training because you cleared cmos.

0451 has already pointed it out, with more channels and ranks of memory there is a higher load on your cpu and it’s imc.

I did not know you were running a hyper 212 or I would not have asked you to run linpack. It’s probably too much. Either way it seems to me your motherboard is not setting some voltage properly on auto. You may have to manually set them.

99.9% sure there isn’t anything wrong with your cpu, so take an break and chill out.

Yes
All settings are on mobo stock.
I pulled one of the mem sticks out.
Cleared the cmos . I realize that after I did so, my cpu temps are running around 72 at max which is a 10 degrees lower than the previous time !! Although the previous time I hadn’t changed anything either!!!
and now linpack extreme has been running for 2 hours without errors!!!
I’m really confused 😐
What is going on ?
By the way, is it normal for the system to start for a second and then turn off again and then again start by itself after a second ,the first time you’ve cleared the CMOS??
I doesn’t happen when I shut down my pc and turn it on again. Just when I clear cmos.

·
Graphic Card Addiction
4,100 Posts
Hey all! New to the thread.

I've been away from Intel for quite a while. My last Intel rig was a Z87 w/4770k. I've been on AMD x370/x470/x570. I decided to move back basically for some different hardware.

With that said, I forgot how many settings the bios on Intel has....so I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'm not looking for exact settings really.

Here is what I'm on:

Gigabyte z490 Aorus Pro AX/i7-10700k
GSkill Trident Z Neo(3600CL18)
Custom Loop(360/240)Aquacomputer ULTITUBE D5 150 PRO
I think the rest of the specs are in my sig, if you need more info.

Here is where I'm at(Current):
CPU 49
Ring 46
Override Voltage set to 1.2v(CPU Core)
Medium LLC
[email protected] with stock voltage(1.32v)

Here is OCCT I ran yesterday for a hour....I think that was at 5.0 1.25v(CPU Core)

I ram some other benchmarks, and some games, ended up with a WHEA CPU error. I'm not 100% sure if I was using 1.25v or 1.225v for 5.0.

Here is what I just finished running using the current settings from above.

I did 20 passes of Linpack_Extreme64, I think I used 8gb of ram. I meant to write it down, but got sidetracked and forgot.

Anyway, here are the results:

Here is a screen shot of HWiNFO64:

Coming from AMD temps are a lot higher, but from what I've seen/read these seem to be about normal. I do have a question of why HWiNFO64 lists two Vcore Values, and what if any are the differences? The two that I pay most attention to are VID and VR out.

Guess I'm just wondering how this looks, and what other voltages/settings I need to be concerned with?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Hey all! New to the thread.

I've been away from Intel for quite a while. My last Intel rig was a Z87 w/4770k. I've been on AMD x370/x470/x570. I decided to move back basically for some different hardware.

With that said, I forgot how many settings the bios on Intel has....so I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'm not looking for exact settings really.

Here is what I'm on:

Gigabyte z490 Aorus Pro AX/i7-10700k
GSkill Trident Z Neo(3600CL18)
Custom Loop(360/240)Aquacomputer ULTITUBE D5 150 PRO
I think the rest of the specs are in my sig, if you need more info.

Here is where I'm at(Current):
CPU 49
Ring 46
Override Voltage set to 1.2v(CPU Core)
Medium LLC
[email protected] with stock voltage(1.32v)

Here is OCCT I ran yesterday for a hour....I think that was at 5.0 1.25v(CPU Core)

I ram some other benchmarks, and some games, ended up with a WHEA CPU error. I'm not 100% sure if I was using 1.25v or 1.225v for 5.0.

Here is what I just finished running using the current settings from above.

I did 20 passes of Linpack_Extreme64, I think I used 8gb of ram. I meant to write it down, but got sidetracked and forgot.

Anyway, here are the results:

Here is a screen shot of HWiNFO64:

Coming from AMD temps are a lot higher, but from what I've seen/read these seem to be about normal. I do have a question of why HWiNFO64 lists two Vcore Values, and what if any are the differences? The two that I pay most attention to are VID and VR out.

Guess I'm just wondering how this looks, and what other voltages/settings I need to be concerned with?

Thanks
Is there any reason your core voltage is set so incredibly low? There is no reason to set your core voltage below your vccio and vccsa voltages if you are concerned about longevity. Set core to 1.35 in the bios and you should be able to hit 5.1+ ghz.

·
Graphic Card Addiction
4,100 Posts
Is there any reason your core voltage is set so incredibly low? There is no reason to set your core voltage below your vccio and vccsa voltages if you are concerned about longevity. Set core to 1.35 in the bios and you should be able to hit 5.1+ ghz.
Temps and power are why Vcore is low. Doesn't VCCIO and VCCSA pertain to memory mostly? Trying to relearn Intel...;)

741 - 760 of 801 Posts