Overclock.net banner

781 - 800 of 801 Posts

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,937 Posts
After replacing my nh-d15 cooler ( single fan) with an EK-AIO 360 d-rgb cooler, for which I got 7-10c cooler at 5.1 Ghz OC @ 1.3v die sense, got around to trying 5.2 GHz again. I really couldn't achieve this on the Noctua, but was able to get it @ 1.35v at around 2-3c lower than 5.1GHz on the Noctua. Yay.

• Rep+
Reactions: bscool and ezsdfl

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I have a 10700k being cooled by an ek 360 aio, I am not using the included fans but am using Lian Li uni fans in a LL O11 dynamic, and just have a bit of a concern with my idle temp. I have a mild overclock with 4.8ghz all core running adaptive vcore. I have also delidded. Vcore is not spiking and idles at about 0.8v

on boot the temp starts around 32C which is great but then climbs and stabilises at about 42C. My question is will this be due to a mounting/contact issue or are my fan setup just not able to stop the cooler from heat soaking?

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,937 Posts
IDK Andrew. My idle temps settle down to about 3-5 degrees above ambient using the vardar fans (delidded and adaptive as well), which are running about 480 rpm at idle. I kind of doubt the fan choice can affect idle temps that much.

I have been mulling getting the Lian-Li Uni fans too - what has stopped me is there is no supply at a reasonable price.

So how do the Lian Li uni perform under load compared to the vardar?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply, under load the temps are fine no more than 60-65C in games, prime95 small was hitting high 70’s and with a full avx workload I was hitting high 80’s

kinda hot for a lowish OC but I do think I have a pretty poor chip lottery wise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am running a i7-10700KF , direct die cooled (Kryonaut), Kracken x73 360mm AIO (fans replaced with Noctua Entreprise 3000rpm) + Fans( front 140mm, back 140 + 120 mm , bottom 120mm, RAM fan 92mm)

OC stable Windows/stress tests/Gaming/Rendering : 5.1Ghz all cores, Vcore=1.4V, LLC5, adaptive, 4.5Ghz ring, RAM 4266Mhz XMP Patriot 4x8Gb
CPU Package temperatures : Idle 33deg , Prime 95 small AVX 77deg, Cinebench R23 64deg, Premiere Pro rendering 64deg

Tried 5.2Ghz all cores: Windows stable, Cinebench OK,video rendering ok . But still, not stable . For e.g crashes (BSOD) in games , like SOTR

That means 5.1Ghz is the max I can do with my RIG , or there could be some better Bios settings to go for 5.2Ghz ?

·
Registered
306 Posts
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Carbon Wifi
Vcore in BIOS fixed 1.36v
CPUz measures 1.37 vcore under load.
Idle vs load voltage hardly changes at all, maybe by 0.005.
5.1Ghz all core, 47 ring

Temps good since EK and three 120x360 rads.

Question: Is constant fixed voltage of 1.37 going to ruin this chip? My board has no die sense measure and HWinfo does't show anything for die based measures, so I have socket sense and some other MSI crap to go off of. CPUz says 1.37. The chip isn't stable with dynamic voltage even up to 1.41v. Thoughts? Advice? Sell it and buy a Ryzen?

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,937 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply, under load the temps are fine no more than 60-65C in games, prime95 small was hitting high 70’s and with a full avx workload I was hitting high 80’s

kinda hot for a lowish OC but I do think I have a pretty poor chip lottery wise.
If found that, for this Ek-AIO, the application of TIM is touchy and critical. I have had both a good and bad result with a blob in the middle - the bad being it only covered half. I found that spreading the TIM uniformly across the IHS, not too thin. and keeping pressure on the pump while tightening it up worked best. With the mounting, you can't wiggle /rotate the cold plate, prior to tightening, to help spread the TIM. I would give the mounting a B grade.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am running a i7-10700KF , direct die cooled (Kryonaut), Kracken x73 360mm AIO (fans replaced with Noctua Entreprise 3000rpm) + Fans( front 140mm, back 140 + 120 mm , bottom 120mm, RAM fan 92mm)

OC stable Windows/stress tests/Gaming/Rendering : 5.1Ghz all cores, Vcore=1.4V, LLC5, adaptive, 4.5Ghz ring, RAM 4266Mhz XMP Patriot 4x8Gb
CPU Package temperatures : Idle 33deg , Prime 95 small AVX 77deg, Cinebench R23 64deg, Premiere Pro rendering 64deg

Tried 5.2Ghz all cores: Windows stable, Cinebench OK,video rendering ok . But still, not stable . For e.g crashes (BSOD) in games , like SOTR

That means 5.1Ghz is the max I can do with my RIG , or there could be some better Bios settings to go for 5.2Ghz ?
How do you feel about that 1.4vcore? I did more tweaking and realized I only get 5.0 all core at 1.37v. It feels like a lot of extra voltage for 300mhz. Seems Intel already pushed these chips pretty hard unless you get a really good sample. You worry about your chip degrading with 1.4v?

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,937 Posts
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Carbon Wifi
Vcore in BIOS fixed 1.36v
CPUz measures 1.37 vcore under load.
Idle vs load voltage hardly changes at all, maybe by 0.005.
5.1Ghz all core, 47 ring

Temps good since EK and three 120x360 rads.

Question: Is constant fixed voltage of 1.37 going to ruin this chip? My board has no die sense measure and HWinfo does't show anything for die based measures, so I have socket sense and some other MSI crap to go off of. CPUz says 1.37. The chip isn't stable with dynamic voltage even up to 1.41v. Thoughts? Advice? Sell it and buy a Ryzen?

I can switch between both socket and die sense on my Motherboard. Under Realbench load, die sense reports 1.305v and socket 1.376v. So that is a 70 mV difference. It depends on LLC some and load I expect, but I would guess you are running around 1.3v die. Having said that, before the introduction of VRVOUT or die sense, I don't think I would have run at 1.376 24x7, LOL. But I think it is OK now.

• Rep+
Reactions: moonbogg

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hi,

Just got an Asus Z590 Strix 10700K combo with GSkill 3200mhz cas 14 - 32gb (2x16) setup. Using a Corsair H100i AIO cooler. Not interested in overclocking it past stock (4800 mhz is good for me) though want the lowest possible voltages and lowest heat output. Right now things are set to auto more or less. Using an H100i cooler temps peak at 83-84 degrees under Prime95 load. Never ran a negative offset before and not sure how or where to start?

Thanks

Edit: Set my bios to use 'Best Case Scenario' for SVID behavior and that did drop the average vcore by 0.064 volts.. but was not Prime95 stable and BSOD immediately after testing! At stock settings! So guess I lost the silicon lottery.. however according to Asus bios my processor has an SP rating of 51 which I believe is average. Anyhow so much for that!

·
Registered
6 Posts
MSI Z490 Tomahawk
5.0Ghz all core
47 ring
Vcore in BIOS fixed 1.25v
CPUz measures 1.27 vcore under load
VCCIO 1.0
VCCSA 1.0
XMP is on
Hyperthreading is on
LLC Mode 3

Tested on RealBench and OCCT for stability, cooler on Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 with Noctua NT-H1, max temp of 66C.

At the moment I'm not looking to push further or go lower, I'm happy with my stats so far. Coming from a 7700k I've been scarred of high temps and being a temperamental chip.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Does anyone have the link for the ROG beta bioses for the z490 chipsets? Can't seem to find the page.

I just flashed the 2004 bios (resizable bar support) from the support page and it dropped my stability once again.

Edit : Found it but seems older than 2004.

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,937 Posts
Does anyone have the link for the ROG beta bioses for the z490 chipsets? Can't seem to find the page.

I just flashed the 2004 bios (resizable bar support) from the support page and it dropped my stability once again.
What version are you looking for? What are you running prior to 2004? It is likely the microcode update that comes along with 2004.

Here is the rog forum link, but it only has up to 704:

·
Registered
796 Posts
What version are you looking for? What are you running prior to 2004? It is likely the microcode update that comes along with 2004.

Here is the rog forum link, but it only has up to 704:

Thanks I managed to find it, but you are correct its older than 2004, so I guess I can't hope for a better beta version there. I was running 0901 prior to updating to 2004.

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,937 Posts
So you can mod the BIOS to use the older microcode. That is what I have done with 2004, it is pretty straightforward. The newer microcode have security vulnerability patches but unfortunately require a bit more voltage for stability. Up to CA works fine for me (2004 has microcode E2), so I have modded 2004 to use CA, but you need BIOS flashback to flash it, not sure your board has that.

I checked. The prime a doesn't have flashback. So you are stuck with older versions tied to older microcode unless you make peace with the newer microcode.

·
Registered
796 Posts
So you can mod the BIOS to use the older microcode. That is what I have done with 2004, it is pretty straightforward. The newer microcode have security vulnerability patches but unfortunately require a bit more voltage for stability. Up to CA works fine for me (2004 has microcode E2), so I have modded 2004 to use CA, but you need BIOS flashback to flash it, not sure your board has that.

I checked. The prime a doesn't have flashback. So you are stuck with older versions tied to older microcode unless you make peace with the newer microcode.
Thanks for the info. I haven’t done bios modding before, apart from vbios mods way back during the pre pascal era.

Might be a good thing this board doesn’t allow for bios flashbacks in case I end up bricking it lol.

Edit: Actually I just realized I’m not sure what exactly flashback is. Won’t the normal ezflash from a thumb drive or the hard drives work? That’s what I’ve been doing all along, not using the auto update from internet feature.

Yeah I guess I’m stuck with the newer bioses, I just wish they improved performance in the micro codes or something instead of security fixes in exchange for less stability.

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,937 Posts
BIOS include checksums of their contents when they are created. BIOS updaters verify the checksum by calculating it from the BIOS contents then comparing it to the checksum stored in the BIOS file, and won't flash the BIOS if the checksum is not correct. When you mod the BIOS, the contents change so the checksum is no longer correct. I am pretty sure a modded BIOS won't flash with EZflash, though I may be wrong. You can get flashing executables that have been modified to bypass the check for some motherboards (like Gigabyte). I am uncertain if there is anything available for the Prime A, since I have only used flashback on Asus and have used a modded flash programs for Gigabytes,

Flashback is an Asus feature that is an independent small program that lets you flash a BIOS without an operating system or even a BIOS. You insert a USB stick with the BIOS on iot into a special flashback USB slot in the back of the computer, shut the computer down, and press a flashback button on the back. This initiates a program which reads the BIOS from the stick and flashes it. Flashback doesn't verify the checksum so it can flash modded BIOS.

·
Registered
796 Posts
BIOS include checksums of their contents when they are created. BIOS updaters verify the checksum by calculating it from the BIOS contents then comparing it to the checksum stored in the BIOS file, and won't flash the BIOS if the checksum is not correct. When you mod the BIOS, the contents change so the checksum is no longer correct. I am pretty sure a modded BIOS won't flash with EZflash, though I may be wrong. You can get flashing executables that have been modified to bypass the check for some motherboards (like Gigabyte). I am uncertain if there is anything available for the Prime A, since I have only used flashback on Asus and have used a modded flash programs for Gigabytes,

Flashback is an Asus feature that is an independent small program that lets you flash a BIOS without an operating system or even a BIOS. You insert a USB stick with the BIOS on iot into a special flashback USB slot in the back of the computer, shut the computer down, and press a flashback button on the back. This initiates a program which reads the BIOS from the stick and flashes it. Flashback doesn't verify the checksum so it can flash modded BIOS.
Ahh I see. Thanks again for the info. I think I will just live with the 50 mv extra for now.

·
Optimal Pessimist
2,937 Posts
Ahh I see. Thanks again for the info. I think I will just live with the 50 mv extra for now.
Well there are ways I think, but if you flash a modded BIOS and something goes wrong such that you can't get into the BIOS, you could be screwed without flashback. With flasback, as long as your board gets power you should, in principle, be able to recover.

781 - 800 of 801 Posts