Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I’ve had i7 3770k for about 6 years, but never overclocked it before. Normal ghz with this cpu is 3.5 with boost clock 3.9 ghz.

I’ve tried to overclock it, with mixed success. I see the normal is around 4.5 and around 1.25 core voltage. I don’t need to go that high, but I want better than the boost clock.

When I tried this setting my temperature were max 80-85 degrees after 30 minutes using prime 95 blend. I didn’t feel comfortable with it going past 80, but maybe it’s no problem. Atleast it didn’t crash.

Then I tried 4.4ghz and manual voltage 1.150. It crashed after 30 minutes of prime95 blend. Not enough voltage to run 4.4 I then reduced it to 4.3ghz and still with 1.150. It runned fine, max temp 70 degrees after 2 hours of prime 95 blend. No crash.

It’s how I’m running it now. In XMP mode and everything else set on auto. Only changed core clock and voltage. I don’t know enough to mess with other settings.

I feel comfortable as it is now, but suddenly when playing Battlefield 4 it crashes. It didn’t happen before I overclocked. It’s not very often, but around 3 times in a week. Sometimes I can play for 4 hours with no crash. It’s suddenly.

My gpu is gtx 970 if it matters. It’s not overclocked, I’ve only changed the fan speed. Temperature of gpu is around 50 while playing, and 30 with normal use. I’ve never seen my cpu going higher than 50, only in the stress tests. It’s usually around 40 while playing.

I’m wondering what to do. Change other settings in bios? Change core clock, or increase the voltage? And how do I know what voltage is needed?

I’ll love any help, thanks :)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Hello

I’ve had i7 3770k for about 6 years, but never overclocked it before. Normal ghz with this cpu is 3.5 with boost clock 3.9 ghz.

I’ve tried to overclock it, with mixed success. I see the normal is around 4.5 and around 1.25 core voltage. I don’t need to go that high, but I want better than the boost clock.

When I tried this setting my temperature were max 80-85 degrees after 30 minutes using prime 95 blend. I didn’t feel comfortable with it going past 80, but maybe it’s no problem. Atleast it didn’t crash.

Then I tried 4.4ghz and manual voltage 1.150. It crashed after 30 minutes of prime95 blend. Not enough voltage to run 4.4 I then reduced it to 4.3ghz and still with 1.150. It runned fine, max temp 70 degrees after 2 hours of prime 95 blend. No crash.

It’s how I’m running it now. In XMP mode and everything else set on auto. Only changed core clock and voltage. I don’t know enough to mess with other settings.

I feel comfortable as it is now, but suddenly when playing Battlefield 4 it crashes. It didn’t happen before I overclocked. It’s not very often, but around 3 times in a week. Sometimes I can play for 4 hours with no crash. It’s suddenly.

My gpu is gtx 970 if it matters. It’s not overclocked, I’ve only changed the fan speed. Temperature of gpu is around 50 while playing, and 30 with normal use. I’ve never seen my cpu going higher than 50, only in the stress tests. It’s usually around 40 while playing.

I’m wondering what to do. Change other settings in bios? Change core clock, or increase the voltage? And how do I know what voltage is needed?

I’ll love any help, thanks :)
Prime 95 blend is mainly ram and memory controller stress. Hit it with small fft and watch your temps. Also if you are only going to 4.3 from 3.9 you wont see much difference

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prime 95 blend is mainly ram and memory controller stress. Hit it with small fft and watch your temps. Also if you are only going to 4.3 from 3.9 you wont see much difference
Thanks! I’ll test it with small fft when I get home, and show the results. What temps should I hope for? I’d think any under 80 will be fine.

Will 4.5 be much better than 4.3? I’d definitely have to increase my voltage for that. I’ll see after the small fft stress test, how much room I have.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,567 Posts
1.15 vcore for. 3770k would be pretty low even at stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1.15 vcore for. 3770k would be pretty low even at stock.
I’m pretty sure my stock vcore is 1.025, or not more than 1.05. But 1.15 is low yes. If I go to 1.16 in bios the color will change to orange, not that it matters. I feel very safe with 1.15, but will probably need around 1.20 to run 4.4ghz.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
This is how it looks after 2 hours of prime with only small fft.
Max temp 71 degrees celcius, cpu vcore 1.15 and 4.3 ghz.

View attachment 2518333
That looks fine. You need to 12 hour test it for full 100 percent stability or if your like me just slam it with a 12 hour video render

·
Graphics Junkie
3,567 Posts
I mean 2 hours isnt enough. Ive had overclocks pass 6 hours of prime and fail in games
Sure but if that happens you're not going to lose some render workload or anything, you can just add a little more voltage or whatever at that point. Worst case you get disconnected from a game.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Sure but if that happens you're not going to lose some render workload or anything, you can just add a little more voltage or whatever at that point. Worst case you get disconnected from a game.
Why not do it right and just prime it for 9-12 the first time. Games like cs go ban you for disconnecting

·
Graphics Junkie
3,567 Posts
Why not do it right and just prime it for 9-12 the first time. Games like cs go ban you for disconnecting
You always have a rebuttal for everything.

Obviously the OP can do it whichever way they choose. The point is, if you're just gaming, there is no risk of losing anything important if the PC does eventually crash. That's it.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
You always have a rebuttal for everything.

Obviously the OP can do it whichever way they choose. The point is, if you're just gaming, there is no risk of losing anything important if the PC does eventually crash. That's it.
Lmao speaking facts. Cant handle the truth dont speak then. First ban in go for disconnect is 30 mins second 2 hours 3rd 24 and 4th a week. That doesnt reset for two weeks so he could easily get stuck with a week ban testing ocs. And go is super cpu overclock sensitive ive found its gotta be stable.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,567 Posts
Lmao speaking facts. Cant handle the truth dont speak then. First ban in go for disconnect is 30 mins second 2 hours 3rd 24 and 4th a week. That doesnt reset for two weeks so he could easily get stuck with a week ban testing ocs. And go is super cpu overclock sensitive ive found its gotta be stable.
And again, the OP can take that into consideration. A 30 min ban is not a big deal. If this is an issue for the OP, he can do more stab testing if and when he does get a crash if he wants to.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just presenting an option but as usual you always manage to argue with yourself.

Don't quote me, you are massively annoying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been playing quite a lot in the last week, and only had a few crashes. The whole computer freezes and I've to turn it off and restart.
I think I'll just bump the voltage up to 1.16 and see if it crashes again. Then I could go 1.17 etc. It's not like I'm afraid of it crashing when I play a game, it's quite rare.
Obviously I'd like it to not crash at all, but at the same time use as little voltage as necessary.

After I overclocked the games play so much more smooth than before. And the temperature is very low, so no problem to increase voltage.
Also I don't play cs go anymore, so I'll be fine 😄

·
Graphics Junkie
3,567 Posts
I've been playing quite a lot in the last week, and only had a few crashes. The whole computer freezes and I've to turn it off and restart.
I think I'll just bump the voltage up to 1.16 and see if it crashes again. Then I could go 1.17 etc. It's not like I'm afraid of it crashing when I play a game, it's quite rare.
Obviously I'd like it to not crash at all, but at the same time use as little voltage as necessary.

After I overclocked the games play so much more smooth than before. And the temperature is very low, so no problem to increase voltage.
Also I don't play cs go anymore, so I'll be fine 😄
I had to set my voltage to somewhere around 1.3v IIRC to get just 4.2ghz on my 3770K. I had a P67 mobo which was a lot better for sandy bridge (2600K) than it was for ivy bridge (3770K) so my situation probably wasn't ideal, but still unless you have a golden chip you probably need to bump the voltage quite a bit to get it stable. Anything under 85c is safe for the 3770K so you have some headroom on temps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had to set my voltage to somewhere around 1.3v IIRC to get just 4.2ghz on my 3770K. I had a P67 mobo which was a lot better for sandy bridge (2600K) than it was for ivy bridge (3770K) so my situation probably wasn't ideal, but still unless you have a golden chip you probably need to bump the voltage quite a bit to get it stable. Anything under 85c is safe for the 3770K so you have some headroom on temps.
That sounds like a lot of voltage to only get 4.2 ghz. I’ve read about people getting 4.7-4.8 with that setting, but not every chip is the same.

You’re right, I’ve some headroom. I could probaly go to 1.25 already and be stable, but it would require testing. And I feel I’ll be more safe starting on 1.15 and go from there. I think 1.25 is more than I need, but I could be wrong.

I can do some longer prime95 tests later, but I feel lazy and don’t have much free time at the moment. Just wanna play when I’ve time :p

·
Graphics Junkie
3,567 Posts
That sounds like a lot of voltage to only get 4.2 ghz. I’ve read about people getting 4.7-4.8 with that setting, but not every chip is the same.
I could be wrong, it was years ago... Maybe it was more like 1.25v. Still, I remember enough about it to know you're voltage is really low at 1.15v.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I could be wrong, it was years ago... Maybe it was more like 1.25v. Still, I remember enough about it to know you're voltage is really low at 1.15v.
I believe you! It’s low, but I don’t mind it being low as long as it’s working. Wish I could find out the stability in 5 minutes 😂

1 - 20 of 30 Posts