Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys!

I recently built a new gaming PC with an i7 8700K + Corsair H115i (No delid). I would like to overclock the CPU to around 4.8-5GHz. However the last gaming rig I had was a Core 2 Quad Q6600 and of course a lot has changed since then in terms of BIOS settings/different names/a lot more settings. I'm not sure what all the new CPU voltage settings/names actually mean. For example, what do Adaptive and Offset mean and how do they differ from Manual mode?

System spec:
750W Be quiet
i7 8700K
ASUS TUF Pro-Gaming Mobo
16GB DDR4 RIPJAW G.SKILL RAM at 3000MHz
GTX Inno3D 1080Ti iChill X4

P.S

Any 8700K owners there have any reference points in terms of voltage and other settings? (I know every chip is the different).

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Mikey

·
Registered
5,374 Posts

·
Overclocker
11,636 Posts
It's the same since 1980s at the least and as far transistors exist in practice really. The names adaptive mean adaptive and offset means offset. What each setting does depends on your motherboard and how well or poorly it was implemented by the motherboard manufacturer.

There are numerous guides for recent CPUs look at the respective generations clubs, guides, statistics, etc. they often have the guides in OP.

Recommended voltages are often at least somewhat defined by the chip maker, the rest is user guessing.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the advice, links and welcoming guys.

I can only get my 8700K stable at 4.8GHz at 1.264v. Any higher and it just crashes in the stress tests (temps reasonable with a Corsair H115i cooler, possibly the chips limit). However I can get into windows at 5GHz just it isn't stable, nor at 4.9GHz. Anyone got any tips in terms of having to edit some more settings on the mobo in order to achieve a stable 5GHz? I have my voltage on adaptive set to 1.3 max and under full load in RealBench it takes around 1.264v-1.280v, no higher.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts