Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys , I am trying to overclock this old computer but I am having issues getting "less or equal blue screen" while the bios updates succesfully .
i7 920 currectly running at 3.42GHZ ( + 30mv) with ddr3 consair ram (1333mhz) running at 1371mhz (1.6V) and bus speed 171MHZ ( default 133)
With this overclock the system is stable ( tested on prime95 ) , I have been playing pubg and using it for different software development tasks for the last month and I did not get any issues at all . Also the system runs cool , I rarely see cpu over 64C (147F) .
My issue is that I want to overclock it more but I have tried anything and I still get blue screen ( less or equal error) .
Even a small increase from 171MHZ to 173 MHZ its not possible , I have tried to increase the voltage +40mv +50mv but I still get blue screen . Also I have tried to disable Turbo boost .
I am new to overclocking so any help is appreciated . Thanks

Light Black Line Font Red

Font Technology Electric blue Screenshot Multimedia

·
PC Evangelist
48,444 Posts
You might need even more voltage.

·
Graphics Junkie
4,223 Posts
If you're hitting such a hard wall you're probably running into chipset limitations more so than CPU limitations. 1.6v seems pretty high already. That said I am not specifically familiar with these 1st gen chips.

·
Iconoclast
32,540 Posts
VTT or memory are the probable issues. Manually set ucore multiplier to 2x DRAM multiplier +1 and give VTT voltage a small bump (1.2v is a good place to start).

The IOH shouldn't need any extra voltage at 171 BCLK and ~6.2 GT/s QPI, but you can try ~1.15v to rule it out.

CPU vcore should not need more voltage at the relatively low clocks you're running, but for whatever reason, a lot of Nehalem parts do not like even CPU core multipliers.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Chip runs stock at 1.3 vcore, most 920's would do 4 ghz. You have wiggle room if your temps support it. Generally need to increase QPI frequency after overclocking.

I'd drop your ram speed down initially while testing. I've heard XMP profiles can give trouble during overclock, and it's better to tackle these things 1 at a time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You definitly need more voltage if you want to be 4.0+GHZ. I have messed with well over 8 different S1366 CPUs. Every one of them would do 4200+mhz all day long no problem. But it takes some juice (V) and finesse. That is with simple custom water loops though.

As @1Kaz said, work with one at a time. Start with the CPU. Get it happy. Then worry about your memory.

·
Mad Man with a box
440 Posts
Go higher on UnCore (at least 3.2 - 3.5GHz), with VTT at 1.3-1.35V (depending on temps).
As stated previously, you will need higher Vcore (between +100mV and +200mV probably) to get it stable at 180MHz+. Also, try decreasing max. multiplier to 21, and see how that will change things.

·
Expert pin bender
2,943 Posts
At least it is a D0 so the voltage should be more easier to deal with. I wonder how much vdroop that Mobo gets. Also not sure if that Mobo would allow it without mods but you can get a super cheap 6corr xeon and drop in it. X5650 x5675 etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the answers. I actually increased the core voltage from + 30mv to +70mv and frequency 173MHZ from 171MHZ . I tested it on prime95 for 15 hours without any errors and temps around 78-80C during the stress test ( ~176F ). Temps increased about 2C (35.6F) ... from 64C(147F) top to 66C(150F) top .
I tried to increase it further to 174MHZ but it seems that I need over 110mv which increases temps more so I dont think I will push it further .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts