Overclock.net banner

141 - 160 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the thread, been a long time reader here and recently upgraded to a 9700k from a 4690k (@4.6Ghz), what a HUGE UPGRADE, even though most benchmarks show minimal gains.
Due to Mount & Blade II Bannerlord being such a badly optimized game (currently), I started pushing my system. So:

Motherboard: Aorus Z390 Pro
Clock speed: 4.9Ghz All Cores
Type of cooler: Corsair H150i PRO at the side 3 fans on intake + Lian Li O11 XL case with 2 bottom intakes, 1 rear exhaust and 1 top exhaust
AVX offset: 0 (since I can't have 5Ghz without cranking voltages too high...)
CPU voltage setting (either manual or adaptive): Manual 1.35 (Yes my chip sucks...Next step is trying to lower this to 1.3xxxx, but 1.30 doesn't work)
VCCIO and VCCSA voltages: 1.2 both due to RAM OC!
Observed CPU Voltage from HWInfo64 (VR Vout or VCore if no VR Vout) when stress testing: Strangely enough, my Vcore never hits 1.3 (sometimes on idle, but rare), even with different LLC settings (normal/high/turbo). Max Vcore on load is something like 1.28 and sometimes lower.
What stress test you did: Real Bench, P95 small, memtesthelper+memtest for a few hours
Max core temperature during stress test: 60-70C (does this seem ok? not sure if I screwed up with the thermal paste, first time applying grizzly ceramic s****, so hard to properly apply...)
Uncore/cache speed: 4.4GHz (Will try 4.5Ghz after stabilizing RAM)
LLC: Turbo ATM, tried a lot of different settings though and high also works (should I leave on turbo?)
Speedstep disabled, core enhancement disabled, C states disabled, anything else?

I did manage a 5Ghz OC with 1 AVX Offset with adaptive voltage but even though my adaptive was like -1.1 I was hitting 1.35-13.8 on load. So I gave up, might try -1.5 later though to see if it stays within 1.3 on load. Don't want to get THIS CLOSE to 1.4...Especially since I don't want to stress test for hours without end.

Other relevant settings - RAM:
RAM: F4-4000C18-8GTZR (2x8Gb)
@ DDR4 3800Mhz (can't hit 4000Mhz...XMP profile doesn't even boot, even with 1.4v)
RAM voltage 1.4
Timings (being optimized right now, just managed to boot and test): 16, 20, 20, 40 - Command rate 2T is very stable
Next steps: Go command rate 1T, and follow the next steps on this great mem OC guide: https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4 OC Guide.md#timings-software

Will update soon so people with similar systems can be helped :)

On Real Bench I managed to get 10k extra score overall (Before RAM OC), which is like 8% performance improvement. After I finish RAM and OC my GPU again will run a few more benches. If I get like 15% extra performance I'm happy (damn 2080ti too expensive atm...)

Edit:
RAM is now @ 3800Mhz: 15-19-19-36 1T tRC 56

·
Registered
3 Posts
I need some advise on my OC, My 9700K clocks quite poorly and can only do 4.8Ghz, I currently have IA AC loadline to 85 (IA DC to 160) to ensure that I dont BSOD on idle however I can see the my VRout can reach as high as 1.32v
I'm not a pro but did you try the settings i write above your post?
Just for testing and be very carefull on watching temp in hwmonitor you should try to OC briefly with no limit or security setings other than temp limit just to have a base line on your max voltage and max clock.
There is a lot of How to video on youtube to get easily 5GHz then you can adjust setting to their minimum.

You should share your settings on how you get to 4.8GHZ because i found strange that you can't get above or not being stable because it's very close to default spec of the CPU.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I'm not a pro but did you try the settings i write above your post?
Just for testing and be very carefull on watching temp in hwmonitor you should try to OC briefly with no limit or security setings other than temp limit just to have a base line on your max voltage and max clock.
There is a lot of How to video on youtube to get easily 5GHz then you can adjust setting to their minimum.

You should share your settings on how you get to 4.8GHZ because i found strange that you can't get above or not being stable because it's very close to default spec of the CPU.
I have not yet tried your settings, I see that you have power saving selected for the CPU AC/DC loadline, Whats the difference on that between Auto or Extreme.

My 4.8Ghz settings is as follows
x48 Core
x45 Uncore
XMP Enabled ( CL16 3200Mhz 4x8GB )
VCCIO 1.1V
VCCSA 1.2V
IA AC loadline 85 ( 80 is the absolute minimum that I will not get any idle,low load BSOD and I just decided to use 85 to give it more room but that makes my peak voltage quite high )
IA DC loadline 160
Standard loadline calibration

EDIT:

Tried your settings with +0.080 and the voltage is up to 1.356 even in bios, thats a little to high isnt it ?

·
Facepalm
9,499 Posts
I have not yet tried your settings, I see that you have power saving selected for the CPU AC/DC loadline, Whats the difference on that between Auto or Extreme.

My 4.8Ghz settings is as follows
x48 Core
x45 Uncore
XMP Enabled ( CL16 3200Mhz 4x8GB )
VCCIO 1.1V
VCCSA 1.2V
IA AC loadline 85 ( 80 is the absolute minimum that I will not get any idle,low load BSOD and I just decided to use 85 to give it more room but that makes my peak voltage quite high )
IA DC loadline 160
Standard loadline calibration
For the AC and DC Loadlines: these take effect only if the Internal VR version is set at auto (0).

Auto uses whatever Gigabyte wants it to be. Seems related to the CPU multiplier.
Extreme is 2.1 mOhms (210/210), highest spec value for 4 and 6 cores
Turbo is 1.6 mOhms (160/160), highest spec value for 8 cores.
Performance is 1.3 mOhms (130/130)
Power Saving is 0.4 / 1.3 mOhms (40/130).

Any non-zero value entered in Internal VR Settings AC or DC Loadlines overrules the presets for Internal AC DC Load Line.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
For the AC and DC Loadlines: these take effect only if the Internal VR version is set at auto (0).

Auto uses whatever Gigabyte wants it to be. Seems related to the CPU multiplier.
Extreme is 2.1 mOhms (210/210), highest spec value for 4 and 6 cores
Turbo is 1.6 mOhms (160/160), highest spec value for 8 cores.
Performance is 1.3 mOhms (130/130)
Power Saving is 0.4 / 1.3 mOhms (40/130).

Any non-zero value entered in Internal VR Settings AC or DC Loadlines overrules the presets for Internal AC DC Load Line.
Thanks

I tried his settings and it gives me 1.356v at 4.8Ghz on Bios. Seems extremely high for everyday use.

·
Facepalm
9,499 Posts
Thanks

I tried his settings and it gives me 1.356v at 4.8Ghz on Bios. Seems extremely high for everyday use.
MUST use *LOW* values of loadline calibration when using HIGH values of AC Loadline!! Anything else will cause excessive voltage!
If AC Loadline is 1 (0.01 mOhm) to 40 (0.4 mOhm) then Vcore LLC values up to Turbo are safe to use.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I'll try venturing into the 5Ghz barrier again,
My settings are as follows

x50 Core
x45 Uncore
XMP Enabled

MultiCore Enchancement Off
Vcore 1.330
VCCIO 1.15
VCCSA 1.25
LLC Turbo

I am getting either a hard lock on windows, BSOD with either Watchdog timer or WHEA error.

EDIT:

I tried setting Vcore to 1.340 and I end up getting 1.352 via VRout reading and I still get a BSOD but it took a while

·
Registered
58 Posts
My RAM is OCing nicely, just updated to 14-18-18-34 1T and tRC 52 (was 55).
Will keep that for a while and try 13-17-17-32!

I'll try venturing into the 5Ghz barrier again,
My settings are as follows

x50 Core
x45 Uncore
XMP Enabled

MultiCore Enchancement Off
Vcore 1.330
VCCIO 1.15
VCCSA 1.25
LLC Turbo

I am getting either a hard lock on windows, BSOD with either Watchdog timer or WHEA error.

EDIT:

I tried setting Vcore to 1.340 and I end up getting 1.352 via VRout reading and I still get a BSOD but it took a while
Just go 1.35, still pretty safe!
Don't think there are many benefits with higher VCCIO VCCSA if not using high RAM OC. Or is there?
If your XMP works with default VCCIO VCCSA wouldn't it be more stable?

Also you can always try adaptive voltage with something like -0.8 to -0.5 and see how high it goes on load!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Just go 1.35, still pretty safe!
I am running at 1.352 as posted.

Don't think there are many benefits with higher VCCIO VCCSA if not using high RAM OC. Or is there?
If your XMP works with default VCCIO VCCSA wouldn't it be more stable?

Also you can always try adaptive voltage with something like -0.8 to -0.5 and see how high it goes on load!
Those are lower than default values, On the Z390 Master the default VCCIO is 1.18 and the VCCSA is 1.3 when left to auto.

Adaptive voltage at +0.020 sits around 1.340 on my end so using -0.5 is extremely low

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am running at 1.352 as posted.

Those are lower than default values, On the Z390 Master the default VCCIO is 1.18 and the VCCSA is 1.3 when left to auto.

Adaptive voltage at +0.020 sits around 1.340 on my end so using -0.5 is extremely low
You said "I tried setting Vcore to 1.340 and I end up getting 1.352 via VRout reading and I still get a BSOD but it took a while".
What I meant was: set 1.35 in BIOS and see if it's stable (also check the new VRout that should be a little bit higher than 1.352 but within OK ranges). If you are just checking what voltage you need to be able its not a problem going to 1.4 if your cooling can handle it.

I didn't realize VCCIO and VCCSA could vary so much between MBs on auto! When left on auto those two voltages were lower for me, now I'm running 1.2 due to RAM OC, which is a bit above what I was using before on auto (something like 1.1 or less). I'd try them at 1.2 or 1.25 since these guys seem to add heat from what ppl said here on the thread.

This on 5ghz? "Adaptive voltage at +0.020 sits around 1.340 on my end so using -0.5 is extremely low". If yes seems better than going 1.35+ fixed!

Try turning off XPM and using auto RAM settings to stress test CPU OC (AFAIK on auto it sets to some crap default low speeds which is very stable). Then after you stress your CPU OC you can go manual RAM settings and see what works.

Personally I found that 5Ghz is not worth it (for my chip), I'd need 1.34v+ and I'm running like 1.27 @ 4.9Ghz...Those 100Mhz won't do much anyway

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
You said "I tried setting Vcore to 1.340 and I end up getting 1.352 via VRout reading and I still get a BSOD but it took a while".
What I meant was: set 1.35 in BIOS and see if it's stable (also check the new VRout that should be a little bit higher than 1.352 but within OK ranges). If you are just checking what voltage you need to be able its not a problem going to 1.4 if your cooling can handle it.
That would mean around 1.367v, Not gonna go there as of now as I do not know the safe voltages for these chips.

This on 5ghz? "Adaptive voltage at +0.020 sits around 1.340 on my end so using -0.5 is extremely low". If yes seems better than going 1.35+ fixed!
I am not even stable at 1.356, I dont see the point in lowering it to under 1v, -0.5 offset is around 0.775v on my end.

Try turning off XPM and using auto RAM settings to stress test CPU OC (AFAIK on auto it sets to some crap default low speeds which is very stable). Then after you stress your CPU OC you can go manual RAM settings and see what works.
At the moment, I am not interested in doing any RAM OC. so XMP profile is fine with me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is my contribution,

Started with a clock of 4.8 whch did well at 1.35V but would fail some tests. using OCCT 1hr no AVX, so it was getting hot...

Switched to an offset voltage of -75 mHz and it was stable no failures.

Went back in BIOS and set -100mHz (maximum) & turned up clock to 49

Average core temps are around 75-85C, VCore ~1.31 to 1.33

It pretty damn stable. But i am wondering why the offset was so much more stable. I guess it dealt well with fluctuationg VCore and the static VCore was too hot.

ASrock Phantom Gaming 4
VCCIO and VCCSA are on auto since they seem low compared to the readouts others gave in this thread. About 0.95 and 1.15 respectively

I'm going back in for the RAM now

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here is my contribution,

Started with a clock of 4.8 whch did well at 1.35V but would fail some tests. using OCCT 1hr no AVX, so it was getting hot...

Switched to an offset voltage of -75 mHz and it was stable no failures.

Went back in BIOS and set -100mHz (maximum) & turned up clock to 49

Average core temps are around 75-85C, VCore ~1.31 to 1.33

It pretty damn stable. But i am wondering why the offset was so much more stable. I guess it dealt well with fluctuationg VCore and the static VCore was too hot.

ASrock Phantom Gaming 4
VCCIO and VCCSA are on auto since they seem low compared to the readouts others gave in this thread. About 0.95 and 1.15 respectively

I'm going back in for the RAM now
Very nice! I see people having success with offsets and adaptive voltages on these new chips.
I don't have any scientific knowledge to support this but to me, as a regular gamer/OCer, it seems older chips worked better with fixed voltages/clocks and newer chips are working better with variable volts/variable core per clocks/sometimes even power-saving settings on, etc....

The RAM OC guide I posted helped me a lot. I'm pretty stable atm but will lower timings a bit more and test!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Very nice! I see people having success with offsets and adaptive voltages on these new chips.
I don't have any scientific knowledge to support this but to me, as a regular gamer/OCer, it seems older chips worked better with fixed voltages/clocks and newer chips are working better with variable volts/variable core per clocks/sometimes even power-saving settings on, etc....

The RAM OC guide I posted helped me a lot. I'm pretty stable atm but will lower timings a bit more and test!
Can you link me to this RAM OC guide ?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Can you link me to this RAM OC guide ?
There are two ram guides linked in my sig. One is older and fairly simple and the other is a little more advanced :)

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
There are two ram guides linked in my sig. One is older and fairly simple and the other is a little more advanced :)
Now I remember why I never bothered to deal with memory overclocking haha! Too many values to tweak. I might just do a clock speed OC as I have the 16-18-18-36 3200Mhz G.Skill Trident. maybe a quick 3866 will do ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Now I remember why I never bothered to deal with memory overclocking haha! Too many values to tweak. I might just do a clock speed OC as I have the 16-18-18-36 3200Mhz G.Skill Trident. maybe a quick 3866 will do ?
LOL, yeah, tell me about it!

I don't have much patience to keep changing settings, restarting and stress testing but it's so worth it. I got quite a bit more performance with this guide versus default setting. If XMP works for you that might do it but for me the default XMP profile didn't work, even with higher volts.

Try to follow it, despite it being uber LONG you can skip all the first pages and go straight to the "steps" it suggests. It shouldn't take such a long time.
Basically you go for the highest Mhz possible on the first step (like I have a 4000mhz chip but it's only stable at 3800mhz), then you go to tertiary timings (until you get unstable, lowering a bit then testing) then secondaries (or something like that...).

The way I did it as to not get annoyed with all the testing /restarting is: whenever I'm playing single player games (like bannerlord currently) I'd do "one step" of the guide and at the next restart I'd go lower and lower until crash / instability. Then I'd move to the next step. Since bannerlord uses 100% cpu/GPU frequency I think it's enough of a test.

Since I AFK due to kids/wife I also let mem test run whenever I change settings. I'm still not done with my RAM but each day it gets a little better and I don't burn myself only doing OC all day lol

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
LOL, yeah, tell me about it!

I don't have much patience to keep changing settings, restarting and stress testing but it's so worth it. I got quite a bit more performance with this guide versus default setting. If XMP works for you that might do it but for me the default XMP profile didn't work, even with higher volts.

Try to follow it, despite it being uber LONG you can skip all the first pages and go straight to the "steps" it suggests. It shouldn't take such a long time.
Basically you go for the highest Mhz possible on the first step (like I have a 4000mhz chip but it's only stable at 3800mhz), then you go to tertiary timings (until you get unstable, lowering a bit then testing) then secondaries (or something like that...).

The way I did it as to not get annoyed with all the testing /restarting is: whenever I'm playing single player games (like bannerlord currently) I'd do "one step" of the guide and at the next restart I'd go lower and lower until crash / instability. Then I'd move to the next step. Since bannerlord uses 100% cpu/GPU frequency I think it's enough of a test.

Since I AFK due to kids/wife I also let mem test run whenever I change settings. I'm still not done with my RAM but each day it gets a little better and I don't burn myself only doing OC all day lol
I am not sure which overclocking guide you are following, is this it = https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4 OC Guide.md/

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
With my processor I get a BSOD on idle at 4.9Ghz and I need to use +75 on AI AC for it to be idle stable, is there another way around this high voltage requirement while still being able to down clock even if its not for the most power efficient downclocks

141 - 160 of 173 Posts