Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help from the professionals!!! I have an older cpu Intel Pentium D Extreme Edition 965 running stock at 3.75 Ghz I dont really have the money to buy a new socket 775 cpu so i was hopeing i could overclock the Pentium D to get a bit of extra performance from it how would i go about this? thanks in advance for any help. Also it is running on a gigabyte Ep45 ud3p mobo and its cooled by the H50 liquid cooler from corsair

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow there is alot of information on those guides. Because my cpu is an extreme edition will it be easyer to OC? What is the difference between the E Edition and a normal pentuim D? Thanks for the link to the guide thats gunna be a great help

·
Registered
901 Posts
You have a 1066MT/S FSB as other Pentium D has 800 and like every EE, you have the unlocked CPU multiplier.
Other than that you have the usual HT, EM64T and VT (not VT-x), but no EIST.
You should run it pretty high with the unlocked CPU multiplier, 4Ghz is possible.
But these Presler XE are known to be EXTREMELY HOT and consum alot of power.
But your case might be a bit better since you have a 965 which is a C1 stepping. If you have a B1, then it burns.

• Rep+
Reactions: Aussie

·
Registered
675 Posts
While I know this isn't much help on the topic, there are some really great CPU's for extremely cheap. I got 3 E3300 processors with motherboards for $45 for each pair. The processors overclock to 3.6Ghz easily and are quite good performers.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So can i just go into the gigabyte bios and increase the multyplier and that will oc the cpu?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Yes you can simply change your multiplier, but that doesn't mean you don't have to bump your voltages, you still have to follow the usual overclock guide to gain stability.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hey Zeus View Post
E3200 celeron is about as fast as your EE at 3.7Ghz
Ummm I dont know how that helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts