Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im having issues overclocking my cpu, here are my specs

Amd Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0ghz stock socket 939
3Gb Ram
Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS
500 Watt Ocz Stealthxtreme psu
XFX 8600gt XXX Oc 620 core 800 mem
CoolerMaster Cpu Fan and Heatsink

Well my problem is that when i have my cpu overclocked hl2dm crashes when its is not overclocked it runs fine its not a temperature problem cause it idles at 32 degrees celsius and 41 playing dm i even turned the cpu voltage up to 1.4v and it still crashes i dont understand why hope you guys can help, Thanks.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Run Everest Ultimate on the machine for a couple hours. That should stress the system a bit. Also try to OC from the beginning and go up little at a time and stress it out.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by N0NAM3
View Post

What will this do?
and also it only crashes on certain maps when overclocked

Everest will stress the computer. It will tell you EVERYTHING. The model numbers for anything attached to your computer, the temps of the CPU, RAM, VRAM. When you run this you can get the temps and compare what is recommended. You go up little at a time so that you can find a happy medium so you can make it 'as fast' as you want while still keeping it stable.

What do you mean certain maps?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i found out its crashing in everygame i tried like farcry 2, css, hl2dm it will just lock up anyways i removed my one brand of ram cause i had it mixed which wasnt good but now i have 2gb of patriot signature its still crashing but not as much it crashed plenty on hl2dm once on css and once on farcry 2 right now im back at 2.0 ghz which is stock for my 3800+ x2 it wasnt on certain maps disregard that cause i though it was but it wasnt

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
crash as bsod or game or freeze?
can we have a little more detial on the ram? make. model, rated speed and voltages, actually speed. of all ram in the system.
how about some cpu-z screen shots?

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,822 Posts
N0NAM3, overclocking requires stability and testing for stability is required before gaming.

To me it may be an unstable CPU overclock, a MEM instability (not necessarily because of an overclock) or both CPU and MEM are not working properly with each other. Look at the steps outlined below and see where you might have gone wrong. The outlined steps are to give you ideas and aid you along. Note that you can Google or search this forum for specificts on each step outlined in this post for clarity.

01. Upgraded your OS to lastest patches
02. Flash to latest Bios
03. Install latest Chipset Drivers
04. Install latest GPU Drivers
05. Install latest Sound Card Drivers (if you have one installed)
06. Download the latest overclocking software aids; Prime95, CPUZ, CPUID, GPUZ & RivaTuner
a) Prime95 has three main tests;
- Small FFTs; to test CPU stability
- In-Place Large FFTs; to test CPU and some MEM usage
- Blend; to test CPU and lots of MEM usage
b) CPUZ - Provides info on CPU overclock and CPU VCore voltage
c) CPUID - Provides voltage readings on many things including all
the Cores in your CPU at Idle and Load temps
d) GPUZ - Provides info on GPU(s) overclocking
e) RivaTuner - Overclocks GPUs and provided direct FAN Controls
07. Disable/Enable features in Bios (that will either help or hinder an overclock)
08. Leave your MEM at stock speeds and losen timings @ factory recommended volts (to take MEM stability out of equation when first overclocking the CPU)
09. Overclock your CPU while tweaking the voltages on CPU VCore, CPU FSB, South/North Bridges and HT (equivalents on your own MOBO) and testing for stability using Prime95, CPUZ and CPUID
10. Perform the VDroop MOBO chip 2HB pencil mod to cancel CPU VCore dips when CPU is Idle and the mod will increase volts by 0.02 on Load (if applicable)
11. Restore MEM to stock timings/overclock and run Prime 95 Blend test to test for stability
12. Overclock your GPU(s) using RivaTuner (can use software from NVIDIA, EVGA or ATI for GPU overclocking if you chose) and GPUZ
13. Set-up direct GPU FAN control in RivaTuner with three separate profiles (60% - 80% - 100% speeds when temperatures reach 45-55C - 56-65C - 66-200C respectively)
14. Tweak Win Vista to run better for a Gamer
15. Defrag Drive
16. Install games and play without fear of crashing!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well sometimes i get a crash and the screen colors go insane and it locks up sometimes and sometimes i can save it by hitting ctrl alt del or alt f4 or a combonation of the both

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my gpu is stock overclocked and is not been used alot and i think it is my ram and my ram was bought same time as my gpu and psu

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,822 Posts
N0NAM3, if you think it's the RAM, download Memtest86+ iso image, burn on CD using your favorite burning image software, go into Bios and boot first from CD.

The Memtest will run and if you get RAM errors, then you know to return/buy new RAM.

Make sure that your RAM are set on stock settings before you run the Memtest.

Download Memtest86+ from here;

http://www.memtest.org/

·
Banned
11,409 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunderman456 View Post
N0NAM3, if you think it's the RAM, download Memtest86+ iso image, burn on CD using your favorite burning image software, go into Bios and boot first from CD.

The Memtest will run and if you get RAM errors, then you know to return/buy new RAM.

Make sure that your RAM are set on stock settings before you run the Memtest.

Download Memtest86+ from here;

http://www.memtest.org/
no download needed. memtest is on the vista install dvd.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,822 Posts
Quote:
no download needed. memtest is on the vista install dvd.
N0NAM3's OS is Win XP.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i did some testing on stock speeds cpu and ram stock speeds cpu 2.0ghz and ram at 200mhz i did a cpu stability test for 4 and a half hours and i played far cry 2 ad caused as much mayhem as possible and played hl2 for a while there was no problems at all. this is confusing me so im going to try that memtest your talking about and ill post results.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts