Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'm wondering what my chances for overclocking a Dell I just purchased are. I've always built my own machines, but lately I've been too busy at work, and I got a decent deal on this, with 12 months no interest financing. I know the Mobo is probably crap-- but has anyonehad any luck with these systems? What about the 820 in general?

Here are the specs.

Dimension XPS 400: Pentium D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)
Certified Refurbished
Dual TV Tuner with Remote Control
1 GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMMs)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Card w/Dolby 5.1, IEEE 1394 capability
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005
56Kbps Data/Fax Modem
160 G (I) (7200 RPM)
16X DVD ROM Drive
16x DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
256MB PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory

$50 Off All refurbished Dimension priced between $600 and $849!
Expires on 2006-01-12 05:59:59 - $50.00

Total -> $598.00

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately, you're not likely to have much luck with overclocking a Dell as all of the useful BIOS features are generally locked out. You should be able to squeeze a bit more out of your video card by using ATI Tool, a handy little utility.

Do worry about getting flamed here. We stomp out such posts very quickly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

I'm try the ATI tool-- so on the CPU front, nothing like CPUFSB etc will be of any use? Argh, and Dell's BTX Mobo setu pwill make it a pain for me to put any other board in on the same case. Ah well, the main reason I settled is I dont have much time for gaming anymore-- and I feel stupid now after looking at part prices and bad reviews for the Pentium 820 D.. I'll just console myself with the no interest incentive.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
You can certainly try software overclocking tools. You'll need to find one that matches the PLL chip on your motherboard. At best, that would give you some limited overclocking options, and it's certainly worth the time and effort to find out.

That was a nice deal on a computer; you just don't get the full functionality of having built one yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts