Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i got a 2.8ghz northwood on on a Gigabyte 8KNXP motherboard (400mhz FSB)
2x512 Corsair XMS PC3200 Low Latency RAM
watercooled (cpu never goes over 44 C)

Now i overclocked to 3.149Ghz and then i ran into a snag. I upped the voltage to 1.535 and hten it became unstalbe. I upped the voltage twice (each incriment is .0125V) and still stability issues and then i went back to 1.535 and this time i upped the DIMM voltage +0.1V. Should i have done this or is this dangerous? Also... i cant find hte DIMM timings at all in my BIOS so i have no idea what my timings are... any suggestions? Thanks guys

·
Banned
914 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veto1024

Ok so i got a 2.8ghz northwood on on a Gigabyte 8KNXP motherboard
2x512 Corsair XMS Low Latency RAM

Now i overclocked to 3.149Ghz and then i ran into a snag. I upped the voltage to 1.535 and hten it became unstalbe. I upped the voltage twice (each incriment is .0125V) and still stability issues and then i went back to 1.535 and this time i upped the DIMM voltage +0.1V. Should i have done this or is this dangerous? Also... i cant find hte DIMM timings at all in my BIOS so i have no idea what my timings are... any suggestions? Thanks guys

well if you want to see the timings use cpu-z(link below)
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download425.html
but if ypu want to ajust them then keep on looking and what are the menu opions?
i dont know about the voltage but i think is shold help

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive looked through the menu multiple times and theres nothing about the RAM timings. Do you think the DIMM voltage upage will have any bad consequences in teh future?

·
Banned
914 Posts
Quote:

ive looked through the menu multiple times and theres nothing about the RAM timings. Do you think the DIMM voltage upage will have any bad consequences in teh future?

well i know that uping the vcore will(evencly)screw your cpu i dont know about dimm's but my guess is yes

well i think it shold(if its there)be under somesort of "chipset" thing

<don't forget reps

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the consequences just like the consequences of upping ur CPU voltage? As in will it just shorten hte life span? Or should i expect a lot of problems very quickly.

And my computer just restarted and the error i got was "Memory_Management" and it was the blue screen (XP) so im gonna reset back to good OC values after hte next crash.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man i only got 3.03ghz stable on my 2.8ghz northwood. Does anyone know why i got such crappy improvements?

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I splurged on this computer so everything is top notch quality
The RAM is only pc3200 though... could that be the problem? I got it to PC435 or so and thats when things started giving out. I got a "memory_management" blue screen when it was unstable...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Quote:

Ok so i got a 2.8ghz northwood on on a Gigabyte 8KNXP motherboard (400mhz FSB)
2x512 Corsair XMS PC3200 Low Latency RAM

I've a gigabyte board too(different model but) and to access the dimm timings press ctrl-F1(in the biios screen) and it will bring an option called advanced settings from there you can change the timings.-at least you can on mine.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why is the RAM ruled out? Couldnt it be that it exceeded its operating potential? My specs are...

Flashed-to-current Gigabyte 8KNXP on the 875 chipset (might be wrong on chipset)
2.8ghz P4 Northwood 800mhz HT enabled
asus V9950 (5950 chipset)
sound blaster audigy 2 zs pro
Enermax 475watt power supply ATX12V
2 raptors mirrored with 2x40mm fan and heatsinks each
watercooled CPU and GPU (north bridge is fan/hs)
Idle at 39C (according to MBM5) and full load at max 45C

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh Ctrl F1? Ill try that... man, i wish you could use bluetooth with your bios... i hate having to steal my mothers keyboard when i need to get into the bios lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts