Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I dont know much about GPU overclocking. I have an EVGA GTX 480 Hydro Copper FTW and am using EVGA precision tool to overclock.

Now I noticed when I increase the core clock to ~900Mhz, I get a nice boost in fps. But then when I raise the memory clock, the fps drops a bit. I seem to get the highest increase in fps when I only increase the core clock. Is this normal?

·
Registered
267 Posts
yeah, coz' it almost approach the upper bound of overclocking. Actually memory clock makes little effect, tweaking it more hardly applies to performance. If you could not tweak it much more, need not to care about it, core clock is the main role of overclock.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I'm pretty sure the memory controllers on Fermi will slow down the memory if it detects errors (ie the memory clock is too high) hence the sometimes reduced performance with higher memory clocks.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it is safe to leave memory clock alone when overclocking the GPU? I always assumed there should be some sort of core/memory ratio that I should keep an eye on for a safe GPU overclock

·
Registered
711 Posts
only touch the core

cause the hydro copper is a great cooler when it come to cooling the core it might even be the best water cooling block but for the other stuff on the card it sucks... so only overclock the core if you need more info ask on the water cooling forum... I just had a similar question about the 580 hydro copper and they sad it similar to the 480 hydro copper....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts