Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just started OCing my i5 3570k (watched linus tech video on how) and im using to cpu-z to monitor the voltage usage while running prima ( been running prima for an hour now) and the voltage maxes out at 1.112V and so far seems perfectly stable with my clockspeed at 4.5ghz. My temp is floating between 69-71 with prima running back and forth and this is while im browsing the web / posting etc..

I feel like my vcore is a little lower then the usual? I know the lower the better but I was curious if anyone else had achieved results like this? I'm not gonna push it anymore honestly going from 3.4ghz to 4.5 is more then enough for me (gaming and some autocad/revit/rendering)

Does this seem about normal gains for the i5 3570k at 1.112voltage max or am I lucky? The Fan is an after market 100 something i forget but its got a big heatsink and fan and its like 60$ on newegg.

Also forgot to add my idle temps are 37 degrees celsius while browsing the web/youtube/opening folders etc AND the test i ran on prima was the fullheat test, if i run blend its hovering at 60-62c

Hmmmm also just noticed when i run blend its actually pulling more volts.. so now at blend its 1.128v but runs cooler at 60-62c?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,919 Posts
Forgive me, but it's not 'prima', it's Prime95.

Whether that voltage is ok for 4.5 GHz is determined by a true stability test. One hour of Prime95 is almost the same as nothing. You're going to need to run Prime95's Blend test for at least 24 hours. As you can see, the program talks about "FFTs". There are 82 different FFTs and it takes about 24 hours to get through all of them. So, Prime95 does NOT put a constant, unchanging load on the CPU. It's different with each FFT, thus the need for being stable enough for all 82 FFTs.

If your computer can do that with this voltage, then you have one of the lower voltage Ivy Bridge CPUs. I have observed two different kinds of Ivy Bridge CPUs here on Overclock.net: lower voltage chips like yours seems to be, and higher voltage where the CPU needs a voltage that's very similar to what a Sandy Bridge CPU needs, clock for clock.

Blend is the most stressful of the 3 preset tests for CPUs like this because the IMC is on the CPU. Large FFTs is focusing on the Integrated Memory Controller and Small FFTs focuses just on the cores. To do the entire CPU, you must use Blend. For an even BETTER stress test, choose Blend and then choose Custom. Then set the Custom test to use about 80-85% of your installed memory and try to pass 24 hours of that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply and you are right sorry Prime95 idk why the hell im saying prima lol but okay i will run the blend for 24 hours and get back to you then!

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by netflxandchil View Post

Thank you for the reply and you are right sorry Prime95 idk why the hell im saying prima lol but okay i will run the blend for 24 hours and get back to you then!
Update this thread when you have something new to post about this. You might be back in a few hours reporting that it failed. If that happens, I think it would be good to increase the voltage a few steps and try again.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
My favorite stability test is a solid 2 hour gaming session on the most graphically intensive game I own, while doing virus scans, and other various software things like running youtube videos ect ect.. I have found this to be better than prime95 as it's pretty rare to be finger blasting a CPU for 12 hours at 100% but I rather it work hard using real world software and challenging possible driver issues as well. Honestly I feel like even though a CPU can do it I don't like it. But that's just me and I've been OCing since 2002 so what would I know.

If you're at 4.5 @ 1.112 that's a really solid chip. What mobo are you running?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I let it run overnight with 0 problems.. I ran the blend test and it held up just fine.. Its actually drawing 1.128volts running under blend so the 1.112 was a mistake but im satisified with this overclock no need to go further.

My motherboard is a MSI Military class one not sure its been years since i got it but man the huge overclock really made a difference.. for the past 2 years i had been running at 3.4ghz and now its at 4.5!!! holy ****
biggrin.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by netflxandchil View Post

So I let it run overnight with 0 problems.. I ran the blend test and it held up just fine.. Its actually drawing 1.128volts running under blend so the 1.112 was a mistake but im satisified with this overclock no need to go further.

My motherboard is a MSI Military class one not sure its been years since i got it but man the huge overclock really made a difference.. for the past 2 years i had been running at 3.4ghz and now its at 4.5!!! holy ****
biggrin.gif
Yeah! :) [fist pump] Now that's a great way to enjoy the benefits of overclocking! hehe

If you have any issues that happen to come up as it relates to this, then post again in this thread and we'll be on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts