Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there.
smile.gif

Any of you know how much i can safely overclock my MSI Geforce GTX 960 Gaming?

I haven't done much oc'ing on MSI's Gaming series cards so i wanted to ask you guys first.
smile.gif

I've heard that the twin fan cooling on these cards is really really good so any advice on how much i should OC it?
smile.gif

One of my friends almost did a 200Mhz OC on his GTX 970 Gaming, but i don't know if that's possible on this card too.
smile.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi!
I have the same gpu and i got mine to do this
(without changing bios and stuff)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowmax View Post

Hi!
I have the same gpu and i got mine to do this
(without changing bios and stuff)

Not bad mate.
smile.gif
I'll be doing some memory OC'ing later today but have the core running stable at 1582mhz now and memory at just shy of 3800mhz.
smile.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, its not that i cant get the same clocks, but, what happens is that when im doing some gpu stresses and stuff for a few minutes i get no problems at all, but, when i game for some hours on render demanding games like Ark, ou GTA, from time to time i get screen freeze, the whole pc stops, and the sounds stays buzzing, complete crash, i have to force reset, to make it stop...
That's why i don't go that high... eventually u might find the same problems x)

But good clocks, thats for sure... this gpu is great, i rly like it for the price
smile.gif

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Well, its not that i cant get the same clocks, but, what happens is that when im doing some gpu stresses and stuff for a few minutes i get no problems at all, but, when i game for some hours on render demanding games like Ark, ou GTA, from time to time i get screen freeze, the whole pc stops, and the sounds stays buzzing, complete crash, i have to force reset, to make it stop...
That's why i don't go that high... eventually u might find the same problems x)

But good clocks, thats for sure... this gpu is great, i rly like it for the price
smile.gif
I did have that issue as well, just lowered the clock about 10 mhz and incresed the mv by 5 then try again.
smile.gif

I can now play Project Cars maxed out without it crashing, that was the only game it did that weird 'screenfreeze' crash in.
smile.gif
BF4, Crysis 3, GTA V, none of those had that issue, only Project Cars, but then again it has some more gpu accelerated physics than those other games.
smile.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjZaze View Post

I did have that issue as well, just lowered the clock about 10 mhz and incresed the mv by 5 then try again.
smile.gif

I can now play Project Cars maxed out without it crashing, that was the only game it did that weird 'screenfreeze' crash in.
smile.gif
BF4, Crysis 3, GTA V, none of those had that issue, only Project Cars, but then again it has some more gpu accelerated physics than those other games.
smile.gif
By mv u mean voltage?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I dont know if it is the same for you, but, even with core voltage at +100, the voltage wont change, it stays the same as +25... from more them +25, it wont change anymore, like its limited by its firmware.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

I dont know if it is the same for you, but, even with core voltage at +100, the voltage wont change, it stays the same as +25... from more them +25, it wont change anymore, like its limited by its firmware.
I have only increased my voltage by 18 so no i haven't had that issue.
smile.gif
I will try and see if i can increase the voltage beyond +25 later when i get home.
smile.gif
Do you have the latest bios version for your card?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can update the bios through the MSI Update utility.
smile.gif

I will post an update once i figure out whether or not i can get past your 25mv limit.
smile.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, i downloaded msi live update 6 (not sure if it is what u mean) and it downloades msi gaming app, wish i cant use since i have afterburner working...
The rest, said everything was updated...
smile.gif

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Well, i downloaded msi live update 6 (not sure if it is what u mean) and it downloades msi gaming app, wish i cant use since i have afterburner working...
The rest, said everything was updated...
smile.gif
Yeah i meant Live Update.
smile.gif
Ah ok, then you might have the newest Bios update.
smile.gif

Don't know why you can't get you voltage over +25 then. That's really weird.
smile.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, yea... maybe it is msi who doesnt want us to get anymore voltage, idk... Maybe only one of those modded firmwares will let it use the full +100 cre voltage ._.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Well, yea... maybe it is msi who doesnt want us to get anymore voltage, idk... Maybe only one of those modded firmwares will let it use the full +100 cre voltage ._.
i dont think they would put in a limit on how much you can increase the voltage. It's more likely that they would ban overvoltaging completely which they haven't.
wink.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, how did it go, did u test the voltage?
I made my clock up to 1500 and memory to 3000 and on need for speed 2016, after 2hours of game, it crashed, the same way other games did, freeze screen, endless buzz, had to hard reset...
I think i might need a moded bios for my gpu, to make this clocks work... idk.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

So, how did it go, did u test the voltage?
I made my clock up to 1500 and memory to 3000 and on need for speed 2016, after 2hours of game, it crashed, the same way other games did, freeze screen, endless buzz, had to hard reset...
I think i might need a moded bios for my gpu, to make this clocks work... idk.
Sorry mate i forgot to check.
smile.gif
Well that's a pretty high OC as well, might be that you just simply wasn't very lucky with your GPU chip, not all of them are good at OC'ing.
smile.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts