Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know. there are a million threads dealing with this issue, but i figured if i started my own thread i could get some personalized feedback with my overclock. so far, ive read this as a starting point and its very helpful, but im still a little lost.

i know stock cooling isnt that great so ive got my eye on a zalman 9500 at the moment.

the only thing ive done so far is raise my FSB to 230 x 11 which gives me 2.5 GHz. ive run SuperPI and 3dMark05 (7322) and it seems pretty stable. my goal is to probably reach 3.0 (hopefully) with 8000 3DMarks.

i got this whole rig with hopes because ive read a lot about these optys overclocking like crazy and im jumping on the bandwagon

the BIOS is so much different from my old Asus A8N7X-E Deluxe because i have no clue what half the stuff does, lol.

i havent taken the IHS off because i dont want to void the warranty (got the retail CPU w 2 yr warranty) and have AS5 on it right now.

any suggestions people? thanks in advance.

btw, this is probably one of the best forums ever!

PS. i kind of want to o/c my 7800GT, but i'll leave that until i conquer this CPU first

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
looks good so far...except have u takin a look at the Tt big typhoon for cooling, its about the best u can get for air cooling.... any more questions? let us know

ps: u can download riva tuner to overclock you graphics card..

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yes, the Big Typhoon is the way to go for air cooling the processor. My Processor overclocked tops out at 41C. I also got over 8000 with that same video card, 8092 I think. I was able to get it overclocked to 483/1240, but that's with a Zalman VF700-Cu heatsink on it. I would suggest an after-market heatsink for the video card if you plan on overclocking it. Each card performs a little different though, so you might be able to go higher than I did, or you may not get as high. It just all depends on what the card feels like. I used coolbits to overclock it.

I'm not actually sure how hot those Opty's get so you may not need an aftermarket cooler for the processor, but it definitely wouldn't hurt anything. Look into the safe temps for that processor more.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think 2.5 GHz is just the tip of the iceberg for this CPU. ive seen 2.8-3.0 everywhere. i think i wanna hit at least 2.8 or so. i believe the FX-57 is 2.8? so are you guys saying the Big Typhoon is better then the zalman? ive heard zalman is the best.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Fx-57 is 2.6 Mhz. But I'd up the vcore to 1.45v and raise the FSB up to 264. Everything else looks good. You should run 2.9 stable. -Micah

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Whats u current temps? idle and full load? if ur full load is under 42c with 2.5ghz i say push it a lil bit more replacing stock cooling with after market cooling will lower the temp but if u still have a low temp theres no sense in replacing it away. right?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think my current temp is like 38-39 right now. im not at the computer but i think i saw the cpu go up to about 42 with prime95 running. what about ram timings? can i tighten them up a bit? and what is the max vcore for the opteron? thanks!

lookin forward to tryin to hit 2.9 tonite after work though!

btw, fx-57 is 2.8. just looked it up on pricegrabber =P

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Please post a link to your memory, either on newegg or whever you bought it..I want to read reviews and check out the specifications....as far as your overclock, it's time to go for 2.8 right now....should be easy...input these numbers..

255 x 11
HTT x 4
Vid = 1.45
Vid Special = 104%
Memory divider, 183
Leave your memory timings how you have it for now

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here is my memory

here is my PSU

gonna shoot for 2.8 then. FX-57 here i come! my goal is to hit 3.0 ghz tho. guessin im gonna need the big typhoon for that, but thanks for the help.

i'll test it tomorrow when i get home. i'll post my results. thanks for the help guys! you guys are awesome.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
ok, from that memory, you are gonna have to change your timings from my above figures....You have 2 options, I will list them next to the memory settings

255 x 11
HTT x 4
VID Control = 1.4
VID Special = 104%
Memory voltage (DDR/VDIMM) = 2.7v

Here are the 2 settings you can try, both should work..your memory default is 2-3-3-6.

Memory Timings 2-3-3-6
CPC enabled (1T)
Memory divider (memclock spd) 166

Memory Timings 2.5-3-3-7
CPC enabled (1T)
Memory Divider 180

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, i did what you told me (with top memory setting) and its running at 2.8 now and it seems pretty stable. i ran 3dMark05 and i only gained a 32 extra marks with 300 extra MHz

im running SuperPI now and going to run Prime95 after this. my CPU is running at 38-39C right now so no need for the big typhoon just yet

i think once i can confirm that its stable at 2.8, im gonna save these BIOS settings and try to go for the big 3.0! what settings should i be changing? can you kind of explain what the changes do instead of just telling me because i feel like i still havent learned anything. at least i know what the 2-3-3-7 for memory means now.

call me greedy, but i cant stop until i hit 3.0 with 8000 3dmarks, lol. sorry. unless my CPU wont let me. but an FX-57 is pretty badass though!

EDIT: ran SuperPI with no problems and im running prime95 now and my CPU at full load is about 42-45C. thinkin if i want 3.0 i should go for the Typhoon? i got a coupon for ZZF that expires today, so if you could get back to me with the settings it would be GREATLY appreciated. im gonna try and mess around with it myself as well.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
so do you know how far yo can get our ram before it becomes unstable, you might just want to loosen ya timings a bit on the ram because you are about to start overclocking it aswell. even give 2.5 3 3 7 a go, that should help the ram out to stay stable, you could up your vcore by the next minimum step (.025) whichever it is and push further towards the 3 gig mark! alwys remember that heat is the enemy so watch ya temps and keep it as cool as you can.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, i loosened the timings to 2.5 and i upped the voltage to 1.425. i calculated that 3.0 GHz is about 273 x 11.

i tried upping my FSB to 260 with 1.425v and windows doesnt seem to load. is this my limit?

should i upgrade my CPU cooler before i try 3.0 GHz?

·
Registered
349 Posts
reduce the multiplier to 10x and the HT/FSB Ratio to 3x.

set the fsb to 275 and use whatever mem. divider you need from there.

good luck

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i set my memory to 2.5 w/ 166 and 188 and had set the multiplier to 10x w/ HT/FSB to 3x and it wouldnt boot into windows

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Time for 3.0. This should work if your chip is capable of that speed. This voltage I'm going to recommend wont hurt a thing, if it boots, run prime95 for a while and check what temperature it sits at Peak..Gonna change your memory a little too...anyways, settings...

273 x 11
HTT x 3
VID control = 1.475
VID special = 113%
Memory voltage 2.7v (should be DDR volts or something, it's below the VID volts)
Memory timings 2.5-3-3-7
CPC enabled (1T)
Memory Divider "memclock" 166

This should work, I'm curious as to how you know how to change the memory timings....they aren't listed in that order in the bios..if you need help, let me know

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well..this is how im changing my memory settings:

u tell me 2.5-3-3-7, i set it as:

CAS Latency Control (Tcl): 2.5
RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd): 3
Row precharge time (Trp): 3
Row Cycle time (Trc): 7

i put what you said in the last post and it wont boot to windows. im beginning to think that 2.8 may be the limit. maybe im not setting the memory correctly. is my memory good enough to handle 3.0? is that why its not booting up?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
your memory has nothing to do with the CPU speed. I could run 3.0 with the cheapest ram in the world if the CPU could hit that speed.
You are putting those timings in wrong....I'm gonna be right back with the correct layout...

here's the correct order
TCL = 2.5
TrCd = 3
Tras = 7
Trp = 3

Dfi has them a little mixed up, but that's normal...we usually refer to those timings as 2.5-3-3-7.
Try to leave everything else auto if possible, or if its already set to something that's fine.
Make sure you use the memclock divider of 166 also...put those settings in again and retest

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im assuming memory divider is DRAM Frequency Set. i have it set to:

166 (DRAM/FSB:5/06)

and the memory like you said, but its not booting up. i have my settings from the 2.8 GHz config saved in my BIOS and all i did was change what you mentioned above and no dice. boo. is my CPU too hot or something? almost considering in gettin the Typhoon, but i can run 2.8 fine right now.

ah...tytlyf. u have AIM/MSN or something? im constantly reloading this page every 5 minutes for your reply. lol.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
alright, go back to the 2-3-3-6 settings, but put them in the correct way..
leave everything else the same, except change that divider from 166 to 150..that should work.
You are changing your HTT multiplier right? Its listed as LDT/FSB multiplier, change that to 3

What's did your computer do when you tried my last settings, did it boot then restart, which screen did it get to before it restarted ?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts