Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have been reading alot about overclocking q9550's and how it has been so successful so i decided to give it a try. I tried overclocking using the bios and i'm not real sure what happened but it restarted and had to reload default settings, gave me a message saying "Overclock Failed".

I then remembered that ASUS gave me some software with the mobo for overclocking so i tried that out. I used "AI Booster" and now have my cpu @ 3.2 GHz. With a stock cooler its temps are: idle: 39-40C and full load (Prime95):it got up to 76C before i decided to stop it.

I plan on getting an aftermarket cooler soon. Something like a Zalman CNPS9900LED (Copper) CPU Cooler.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why i cant successfully OC in bios?
2. Are those temps right/safe?
3. Is that cooler any good?

Thanks

PS: sorry, new to this OCing stuff. I left the multiplier as 8.5 and tried to set the FSB to 376 and turned off speedstep. Didnt change voltage, left as auto. Enough info?

·
Registered
234 Posts
1. Since you don't even tell us what settings you used, nope

2. idle is fine but on high side, but load is def too high. I would not OC past ~5% without an aftermarket cooler. Also make sure your temps are being reported correctly esp as different revision Q9550s have different TJ maxes which different software may or may not be reflecting correctly.

3. sorry dunno

btw would never trust OC software, do it in your BIOS.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just tested with prime95 again with coretemp running and PC probe 2 (Came with mobo). Ur right, different software does change results. Coretemp says its @ about 8-9C higher than pc probe. I think i'll take it back to 3.0GHz untill i get a good cooler and also i'll trust coretemp as it is so widely used

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Don't even bother trying to OC until you get a better heatsink.

You're using this:

When even this:

Sometimes isn't enough.

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Yea, 100c I believe, or at least it is according to Intel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts