Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I would welcome any input into this situation.

Issues
Max multiplier / CPU Ratio is now x38
Max DRAM Freq now 1600MHz
(Both max limits seem to be stock settings, Higher options are simply no longer listed. Limit applies in both BIOS and Windows app ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility )
Half of my ram is missing - 8GB out of 16GB.
Unable to use onboard graphics

History
Yesterday I upgraded my CPU heatsink and installed another 8GB of ram. Total 4x4GB.

I stress tested my overclocks 3570K 4.5Ghz 16GB Samsung DDR3 at 2002MHz.

All was fine until today!

System would not post, much stressing, rebuilding, bios updating + downgrading later I have a working system with the above exceptions listed in Issues

In the BIOS summary page, only 2 sticks of RAM show, total 8GB. In the BIOS system browser page/application all 4 sticks show up.
CPU-Z within Windows also show all four sticks. While windows 7 its self states only 8GB is installed.

I have tried increasing voltages, and of course BIOS defaults several times.

Hardware
Intel 3570K
4 x 4GB Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US
ASRock Z77 Pro4-M

Does anyone, have any idea at all what is going on?

Updates 1/3/2013 Issues remain.
Each stick of RAM tested + passed memtest
Re-seated CPU heatsink
Tested all BIOS versions

Solution
Motherboard replacement, all issues gone.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Reflash BIOS.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two of these sticks I was using for months with no issue. Now it does not matter which single stick I try, all my above issues are still present. I will attempt to memtest each stick though!

I have flashed BIOS around 6 times today, including downgrading and them back up to current. No improvements sadly.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Clear CMOS. And I assume you flash the BIOS with everything at stock.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Not sure if this is the case, but overtightening CPU cooler can cause pins to bent, so it can explain why 2 of your RAM sticks don't work. Try to reseat that cooler, and this time don't fasten it all the way.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CMOS has been cleared by myself via battery removal, jumper, and loading defaults within the BIOS. CMOS is also cleared on each BIOS upgrade/flash.

The assumption of everything being stock is correct, since the core issue is all overclocking options are now missing
frown.gif

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks you for the reseating advice, it is not something I have heard about before. Its very possible I over tightened the heatsink. I wonder how tight is tight enough? It is strange though that everything was fine for 12hours. I will reseat after I have slept.

I have tried BIOS versions 1.80, 1.70, 1.60. Your link is for a different model I believe.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Some boards have removable BIOS chip. Extreme4 and yours do.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All memory sticks passed four hours of individual testing.

Also tested every BIOS version, from the first release to the most recent.

Have not yet had time to reset cooler.

Anymore input is welcome in the meantime.

Thanks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re-seating CPU heatsink did not help.

I contacted ASRock, the only advice they could offer was trying all BIOS versons, this did not help. No more contact from ASRock sadly.

Should I be considering RMAing the board? At least with the onboard graphics being broken it should be reliable + quick for them to test.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well top marks to Amazon UK, I opened a chat window to discuss a exchange and within 8 lines of text the guy had agreed to send me a advanced replacement board via first class mail.

Screw dealing with ASRock's multiple week RMA process
thumbsupsmiley.png

Something I was dreading to deal with (Having no computer for weeks, testing fees if ASRock decide nothing is wrong etc), has turned out to be no big deal at all.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All my issues have now been resolved with a replacement motherboard.

I just hope the new one doesn't kill itself in the same way in a few months.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great now the replacement board is going insane.

No matter what I set BCLK too it remains at 100. It was fine literally 2hours ago.

frown.gif

·
Premium Member
4,987 Posts
Yup that's what I'm going through right now. Asking ASRock for a replacement BIOS chip because I don't want to send my board off for a week or two. They don't do advanced replacements.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well from what I could gather, they charge for those replacement chips. And at the end of it all, whats the point? When this problem is likely to re-appear. When? Who knows, for me it was just over one full day. And only a couple of those hours were me spending time changing settings, the rest was prime95 testing.

To me this sounds like these boards are not fit for purpose and we should be chasing the retailer for a refund / exchange to a different model.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts