Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im new at overclocking and am not sure where to start. I have a p4 that runs at 2.1ghz. Unfortunently I only have stock cooling and the processor already runs hot. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read that on other sites, but some say it is possible.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by M4J37!C

I've read that on other sites, but some say it is possible.

By software oc'ing, but most people stay away from that. It's not as stable as doing it in the bios, which you can't do with your system. Also if your temps are already high, I wouldn't think about overclocking unless you got better cooling. Even then, cross your fingers and hope a software oc would work out.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
What you need to do if you wish to entertain the "Art" of Overclocking is researching on this site. Here you will find information regarding the best hardware to accept overclocking and then turn that information into informed decision on your next purchases.

Then you will be all set to overclock on parts that are best for the overclocker. Unfortunately your system would not benefit all that much from an overclock unless you spent some money on it and the amount you spend would be a diminishing return on the performance you would find.

Better to move towards a purchase with an overclock in mind.

By the way, I have never heard of a Pentium 4 2.1GHz on the desktop models. Are you certain it is not a Celeron 2.1GHz? It could be a moble Pentium 4 but that seems unlikely for an OEM company to place mobile processors in desktop units.

R

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ropey

By the way, I have never heard of a Pentium 4 2.1GHz on the desktop models. Are you certain it is not a Celeron 2.1GHz? It could be a moble Pentium 4 but that seems unlikely for an OEM company to place mobile processors in desktop units.
R

Sorry. Its accually 2.0Ghz. I'll change that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone help with overclocking a p4 3.2 ht 800fsb. I think it is a prescott, but not sure. Can someone look at my specs and tell me what i need to do. I have got it to a 3.6 by upping the fsb to 225, but then i lost my sound, but my system did not lock up. 478 socket

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrc34

Can anyone help with overclocking a p4 3.2 ht 800fsb. I think it is a prescott, but not sure. Can someone look at my specs and tell me what i need to do. I have got it to a 3.6 by upping the fsb to 225, but then i lost my sound, but my system did not lock up. 478 socket

Thanks

I have 2 suggestions:
1. I would buy a Soundcard.
2. Try increasing your voltage from the BIOS and see if that helps. Always check your temps and not let it go above 60-65C max load.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts