Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I want to overclock the Phenom 960Т, and I have a question does the motherboard Biostar A780LB (ver.6.2) for overclocking?

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clover309 View Post

Hi all, I want to overclock the Phenom 960Т, and I have a question does the motherboard Biostar A780LB (ver.6.2) for overclocking?
Not unless you want to blow the board up and take your cpu with it. That board is not made with overclocking in mind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjames61 View Post

Not unless you want to blow the board up and take your cpu with it. That board is not made with overclocking in mind.
Well you can, I really would have liked to overclock, if you can then how much Mhz?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjames61 View Post

4 GHz stand?

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:

4 GHz stand?
Go into the bios and see what kind of options are available as far as multiplier, voltage etc.... It probably is very limited. As I stated before even if the board has options in the bios the board itself is extremely limited as far the voltage delivery hardware itself.

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
4 pin cpu power........... I think it probably has 2 settings in bios "stock" and "detonate". Risky business there.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
"Stock" or "detonate"! LOL!

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
3,103 Posts
Oh I do hope you're cooling the VRMs on that board well. I have the Biostar A780L board which is the same thing but with a DVI port, and I genuinely doubt the board's capability of running a 4ghz Phenom II X4 without throttling to protect the 3-phase VRMs, ESPECIALLY at 1.5V Vcore. Shoot, I nearly blew up an Asus mATX board when I dumped 1.5v into a 940BE trying to get it to 4ghz. There's a reason why that system is called Charred.

On the otherhand, I now know my board can handle Thuban chips.

·
Broken
427 Posts
uh huh and when you open up hardware monitor and say watch a movie what are your temps doing ?

when you play a game how hard is throttling due to over heat ?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:

You should light a match while you pump gas as well!
devil.gif

Hope your house or renters insurance is up to date? LOL!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrious View Post

Oh I do hope you're cooling the VRMs on that board well. I have the Biostar A780L board which is the same thing but with a DVI port, and I genuinely doubt the board's capability of running a 4ghz Phenom II X4 without throttling to protect the 3-phase VRMs, ESPECIALLY at 1.5V Vcore. Shoot, I nearly blew up an Asus mATX board when I dumped 1.5v into a 940BE trying to get it to 4ghz. There's a reason why that system is called Charred.

Yes, it hasn't even been a minute as I returned to 3.4 GHz

·
Premium Member
10,178 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrious View Post

Yes, it hasn't even been a minute as I returned to 3.4 GHz
I think it's best just to run it at stock , especially seeing the rendering software etc on your desktop. If you could find a reasonably priced board with better power delivery that also featured core unlocking, you may be able to make a lot of gains in performance ( providing your chip is capable of running as an X 6 )

I have/had 5 of them all but one would unlock to an X 6 on the proper board, the best ones would run 4.5 ghz +. The worst would only run 4ghz as an X 4. Happen to know the batch number of your 960T?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

I think it's best just to run it at stock , especially seeing the rendering software etc on your desktop. If you could find a reasonably priced board with better power delivery that also featured core unlocking, you may be able to make a lot of gains in performance ( providing your chip is capable of running as an X 6 )

I have/had 5 of them all but one would unlock to an X 6 on the proper board, the best ones would run 4.5 ghz +. The worst would only run 4ghz as an X 4. Happen to know the batch number of your 960T?
Unfortunately no serial numbers
sadsmiley.gif

·
Mr.4way SLI
5,525 Posts
As cheap as AM3+ motherboards are I would pick one up that has a good power delivery setup. Maybe you'll get lucky and can unlock that ship to a six-core. Otherwise you pretty much have a fire starter in your possession the way you have it so I would be careful

·
OG AMD
8,938 Posts
^
devil.gif
You guys have me crackin up. Actually Biostar usually has decent overdraw protection. Of course he's not going to get very far once the heat rises. That being said, if he had no other options, 4GHz on 4 cores is actually probably doable with the right cooling and some VRM sinks. 960T's love undervolting and probably could do it under 100w?

Of course the best thing to do is get as better board and have fun maxing that chip out.
thumb.gif

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,204 Posts
4pin can do up to like 144w max it should be plenty for a 960t. Just need to keep those vrm's cool.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
21,150 Posts
I miss my old 960T. Got the thing unlocked to an X6 and almost 4.9Ghz
biggrin.gif

Try keeping the CPU at 1.425-1.45 or less. That board should be able to handle that with just four cores enabled fine.

·
Premium Member
20,222 Posts
Quote:

Well you can, I really would have liked to overclock, if you can then how much Mhz?
I think our cpu can boost up to 3.4GHz. Unlocked and at stock clocks you can try to undervolt. I got mine down to 1.14v. Even lower as a 4 core.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pook View Post

I miss my old 960T. Got the thing unlocked to an X6 and almost 4.9Ghz
biggrin.gif

Try keeping the CPU at 1.425-1.45 or less. That board should be able to handle that with just four cores enabled fine.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1189945/amd-zosma-960t-1600t-1605t-cpu-club

1 - 20 of 27 Posts