Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my E6600 overclocked to 3.0 GHz with the VCore set to 1.325. Ran stress tests and memory tests and everything is stable. When I go to sleep at night I turn my computer off. In the morning when I get up, I hit the power button and head to brush. When I get back the computer is on except LCD shows nothing, keyboard and mouse LED is off. After hard shutdown I power up again and it shows a message that post failed. Anyone know what the problem would be? It only seems to occur when it's been sitting off for a long time because if I shut down right now and turn it on, the problem doesn't occur. Maybe it's because I need to turn monitor on before hitting the power button for my computer? Would it be a voltage problem for the CPU?

Clueless here. Help me out please.

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
I think your CPU failed over night.

Have you tried to reset CMOS? This will reset your BIOS and bring it back into factory default

1. Locate a circular silver battery on your motherboard.
2. Remove it
3. Let it sit without the battery for 1 minute or more. Some motherboard can be revive sometimes of left over night.
4. Replace battery and boot.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Has nothing to do with your BOOT sector if it doesnt post.
(dont go messing with that!)

The problem is definatly hardware related.

For starters.
have you tried changing yout Cmos battery? (sounds bios related ).

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So many replies in so little time.. Well lets see.

For one it does POST. It only doesn't POST when I turn it on the the morning. If I were to turn it off right now and turn on 5 or 10 times. They would all boot.

I tested Orthos for 13 hours.

Doubt it's boot sector.. Nothing wrong with it.. If there is I can go inset XP CD and do a fixboot or fixmbr..

I can try resetting my BIOS and trying over again. Before I go bed tonight.

And I really want to keep my stock voltage. =(

·
Premium Member
7,263 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TaiDinh
View Post

I think your CPU failed over night.

Have you tried to reset CMOS? This will reset your BIOS and bring it back into factory default

1. Locate a circular silver battery on your motherboard.
2. Remove it
3. Let it sit without the battery for 1 minute or more. Some motherboard can be revive sometimes of left over night.
4. Replace battery and boot.

he said he shuts his computer off before he goes to bed. so how could it fail while turned off?
my mobo does it too. i havent figured it out yet, maybe its just asus?

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know.. But I'm going to try turning monitor on before hitting the power xP Tomorrow morning. But I always forget cause I just woke up >_>;

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
lol.

Well - try that.
*but post BEEPS... are what tell the true tales

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope.. It never boots up the first time in the morning. Only every other time after it works.. Reset BIOS to default and tried again. U bumped up VCore from 1.325V to 1.33V. Maybe I should just keep it at the original 1.35V?

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still no luck.. Turned it on this morning and it wouldn't POST. It always works every time after that first in the morning...

Going to run Orthos for 24 hour or so later.

I'm stuck... Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I reseted everything to default. Going to see if it'll boot normally in morning with default settings.. The CPU is stable though. Kind of weird. =/ Maybe I'm missing something.

o.o It tuns 1.36V on Auto.. On stock? =x.. I thought 1.35V is highest for stock.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Somtimes the voltage will fluctuate.. so thats not utterly strange.

Tell what happens this time around ;]

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay well.. It boots fine on stock speed and VCore..

I tried upping it to 3.2 GHz with a VCore of 1.325. Does that combination sound about right? =/

Actually I don't know what I'm doing here. Going to run Orthos.

Edit: Well it failed twice within a minute.. So that doesn't work. Dropped it back to 3.0 GHz; FSB 1333. Orthos again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
try upping your NB voltage to 1.5 or 1.7. Also, id keep ur cpu voltage at LEAST at stock because otherwise u may not get enuf power. The p5n-e sli mobo requires a high NB for some reason. My quad cant boot past 3.2 unless i turn NB to max.

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hm. I'll try that.. No risks in doing so is there? =X...

Orthos ran for 3:30 - 3.0 GHz. 1.300v VCore.

I'll see how long it'll go and then try upping NB

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
So your boot issues are most definately OC related.
No news there.

Some chips will take a good undervolting, some require stock or better for light overclocks. One e6600 could run @ 1.3v 3.2Ghz, and another could require 1.4v just for 3.2Ghz... Most likely you just aren't pushing enough vcore and the NB voltage.

Have you done all the basic tricks for the P5N-E?
Manually set RAM timings and voltage.
Running in 1:1 (not bios option, do it full manual and enter values yourself)

I don't remember how low the voltages for vcore go, but if you can get to 1.26v vcore, do that and turn +100mv option ON (which will effectively give you 1.36 vcore and better vdroop)

Keep us updated in the P5N-E Thread! Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts