Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Wonderful site.

I just came from an e8400 @ 3.6ghz on my GA-Ep45-UD3R mobo which was completely stable with no voltage changes whatsoever. Now I have just installed a new E0 Q9550 and would like to start overclocking this bad boy ASAP.

Thing is, when I entered the BIOS it looks a little different. I was confused on the whole 8.5 multiplier thing so I just increased the Clock Frequency only to get 3.4ghz...

Restarted and my PC just restarted again saying in the BIOS that it was a bad overclock...

Why is this? When I was easily able to get my e8400 past 3.0ghz up to 3.6 so easily?

Can someone give me a little insight on how to OC a q9550?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Well first off, you're overclocking four cores instead of two... that's obviously going to be more strenuous for your motherboard. Second off, 3.6GHz on your E8400 and 3.4Ghz on your Q9550 required the same FSB (400x9 for the E8400 and 400x8.5 on the Q9550). If you're wanting 3.4GHz out of your Q9550, you'll probably have to at least give the CPU and the FSB at least a small bump in voltage.

·
Banned
2,333 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by killa_concept View Post
Well first off, you're overclocking four cores instead of two... that's obviously going to be more strenuous for your motherboard. Second off, 3.6GHz on your E8400 and 3.4Ghz on your Q9550 required the same FSB (400x9 for the E8400 and 400x8.5 on the Q9550). If you're wanting 3.4GHz out of your Q9550, you'll probably have to at least give the CPU and the FSB at least a small bump in voltage.
^that
also, 4 cores produce more heat then 2. and since the q9550 has a higher fsb, you won't be able to push it as far since there is a fsb limit for stability not related to temperture.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thanks.

So I should just give some voltage bumps to my FSB and my CPU gotcha. But question, what setting is it and how should I adjust it?

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Plagasx
View Post

Okay thanks.

So I should just give some voltage bumps to my FSB and my CPU gotcha. But question, what setting is it and how should I adjust it?

Well I'm not sure what sort of ram or cooling you're using... you might want to take the time to fill out your systems specs under your User CP. If you plan to stay awhile and get help in OCing, it'll help us help you better.

Luckily, I have the two PCIe slot version of your board, and the BIOS layout is the same. As soon as you finish filling out your system specs, I can make some suggestions for settings

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Before anyone can help you with anything you are going to have to list your system specs.

Edit: Killa beat me to it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts