Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have a p4 prescott 478 @3 ghz. i have a 15x multiplier and 1 gig (2 sticks) of pc2700 memory @ 2.5-3-3-7. so, since my memory is rated at 166 mhz, and my FSB is 200mhz, do i loosen the timings on the memory to achieve that 1:1 ratio?

help is appreciated, thanks ahead of time

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lessthanjake1241

ok, i have a p4 prescott 478 @3 ghz. i have a 15x multiplier and 1 gig (2 sticks) of pc2700 memory @ 2.5-3-3-7. so, since my memory is rated at 166 mhz, and my FSB is 200mhz, do i loosen the timings on the memory to achieve that 1:1 ratio?

help is appreciated, thanks ahead of time

Yes, since it's rated at PC-2700 with the timings of 2.5-3-3-7 your going to have to loosen them up to 3-4-4-8 or around there to get them to run 1:1

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks

another question...

their is a place to set the CPU:RAM ratio to 1:1 should i just do that? and by doint that will i raise the temperature of my cpu?

and the intel ocing guide said to "lock" the pci and agp frequenices, should i do that also?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
there should be a setting to set the ratio to 1:1, do that, and yes lock your agp/pci bus to 66/33, or it can cause instability or possibly damage you hardware..

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am a total noob, anything else i shold do first?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
if your just starting to overclock for the first time i would suggest reading this faq... and just satrs slow keeping a cloase eye on temps.... other than that good luck and if theres any more questions ask!

OH and one more thing... after you have oced to where your happy and it seems stable, run Prime95 for atleast 8-12 hrs and if it passes without any problems then you have a stable OC

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

another question...

their is a place to set the CPU:RAM ratio to 1:1 should i just do that? and by doint that will i raise the temperature of my cpu?

no, this wont raise the temperature of your CPU, just the temp of your memory (don't be conserned)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i found the spread spectrum, which was already disabled, but i cant find how to lock the 'pci/agp/sata' or 'stop the unused pci clock'

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

i found the spread spectrum, which was already disabled, but i cant find how to lock the 'pci/agp/sata' or 'stop the unused pci clock'

I don't think your motherboard has that option

The micro ATX boards with the SIS chipsets arn't very good overclockers to start out with. I would invest in a new motherboard if you want to get a decent OC. I mean if you run your memory on a devider with this current setup, you might squeeze 3.2GHz or 3.3, but not much. I would put a new motherboard on top of the list for future upgrades.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh snap
o well i didnt set my mind on oc'ing to much, just fixed on learning, you know? thanks for the help. sadly, upgrading the motherboard isnt really in question right now because of money lol. im jsut a teeen maybe it will be an option once i get a job. since my current card is agp, and i'd want a pci-e board, id have to buy a new card, and maybe even an AMD cpu :p, and i think a new PSU because isnt their a specific psu for pcie?

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

oh snap
o well i didnt set my mind on oc'ing to much, just fixed on learning, you know? thanks for the help

Heh, don't worry.. I realized this problem before, I am shure we all have at one point..

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so what if i just change the ratio to 1:1, that will only really speed up my memory, so its safe?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
You should be safe as long as the ram will handle it. You might have to up the ram voltage and loosen timings to get it stable.

·
Registered
421 Posts
meh, you can still oc it a little for the fun/learning experience of it

Even if you can't lock your PCI/AGP, ocing a little won't up the freq's on those much.. so it probably won't hurt your system at all

1 - 14 of 14 Posts