Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.4 willamette (sp?) p4 processor

I can oc it to 1.67 but no higher.. When I try 1.75, it boots up, but it gets to windows part of booting up, and it gives a error thati t can't find a windows system file...

I'v tried booting up many time, and it always fails.. but I drop it to 1..67 and it boots fine...
Idling at 20c right now at 1.67, so I know heat isn't the problem..

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo420

You should post your specs.

like what?

p4 1.4ghz 512 megs PC800 RD ram, 350w psu, Gf4 Ti4600, winxp

I just used it at 100% for about 20 minetus at 1.67ghz and it only hit 39c

maybe a power supply problem? I do have two dvd roms, and 12 fans hooked up.. Think if I disconected a cd rom it would help?

·
Registered
446 Posts
The extra 25 watts will probably help you get a little bit more oc out of it, too.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
if it cant find a system file thats a harddrive problem. im pretty sure the hardrive is doing this because u dont have any pci/agp lock. if u do then its not that, but im positive that if u cant lock the pci freq, then u wont get very high. it might also be the ram, is it being OCed, or do u have it on a divider?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123

if it cant find a system file thats a harddrive problem. im pretty sure the hardrive is doing this because u dont have any pci/agp lock. if u do then its not that, but im positive that if u cant lock the pci freq, then u wont get very high. it might also be the ram, is it being OCed, or do u have it on a divider?

I dont have on pci lock, I thoguht I was supposed to turn that off.. Thats probably it lol..

I think the rams being oced.. Im a complete newbie to this stuff.. Divider?

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towlieee

I dont have on pci lock, I thoguht I was supposed to turn that off.. Thats probably it lol..

I think the rams being oced.. Im a complete newbie to this stuff.. Divider?

pci lock u want set to 66/33 or just 33. divider is what speed the ram runs compared to the processesor...so 1:1 is the best but makes the ram go the fastest and stresses it the most, so it deoends on what speed the memory is running at, and to set that is with a divider. there are settings of probly 1:1, 4:3, and 3:2. im not sure with rambus.....but i thought i heard it dussnt OC very well. anywayz...the higher the divider(1:1 is best performance) the slower the memory goes. it all applys to the fsb speed. im pretty sure your fsb speed is 100mhz(quad pumped to 400mhz) with a x7 multiplier = 1.4, and it depends on how high your fsb is right now, can u tell us? that helps know how fast the memory is running and what else is going on there

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
its simple math...just to add...

1:1= 100fsb , ram 100 or 200w/e the speed of rambus is
4:3= 100fsb, ram 75mhz or 150
2:3 100fsb, ram 66mhz, so this makes it run the slowest, but also gives more room to OC your cpu

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

pci lock u want set to 66/33 or just 33. divider is what speed the ram runs compared to the processesor...so 1:1 is the best but makes the ram go the fastest and stresses it the most, so it deoends on what speed the memory is running at, and to set that is with a divider. there are settings of probly 1:1, 4:3, and 3:2. im not sure with rambus.....but i thought i heard it dussnt OC very well. anywayz...the higher the divider(1:1 is best performance) the slower the memory goes. it all applys to the fsb speed. im pretty sure your fsb speed is 100mhz with a x14 multiplier, and it depends on how high your fsb is right now, can u tell us? that helps know how fast the memory is running

fsb is 100mhz stock, I got it at 120mhz

There is a "clock" button or whatever in the area I overclock, I THINK its the multiplier.. Stock it says x8, but it goes upt to like x23.. I'v tried setting to x16 but it dosn'et make the comp faster.. I just set it back to 8x as I have no diea what it does..

I dont know where to locate the PCI lock of 66/33, but there is a think that say like "auto detect pci clock" I can enable or disable...

edit: Everest shows my multiplier as 14x

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towlieee

fsb is 100mhz stock, I got it at 120mhz

There is a "clock" button or whatever in the area I overclock, I THINK its the multiplier.. Stock it says x8, but it goes upt to like x23.. I'v tried setting to x16 but it dosn'et make the comp faster.. I just set it back to 8x as I have no diea what it does..

I dont know where to locate the PCI lock of 66/33, but there is a think that say like "auto detect pci clock" I can enable or disable...

edit: Everest shows my multiplier as 14x

o yeah, i forgot the old P4 isnt quadpumped....so its 100x14=1.4ghz
im not exactly sure what the setting is that can let u get all the way from 8-23, exept the multiplier, so that must be it. if it doesnt change that means that your cpu is "locked", so u cant change that. but what about the ram divider? find it?

also the auto detect pci u want off, and if it gives u an option then set it to 33, but if it duesnt, then it SHOULD set back to 33, because its probly around 36, and u dont want it to go higher then the stock 33 because the pci cards and videocards are very touchy about their freqencies. if it locks up next time it restarts, that means it didnt set to 33. but still try it

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

o yeah, i forgot the old P4 isnt quadpumped....so its 100x14=1.4ghz
im not exactly sure what the setting is that can let u get all the way from 8-23, exept the multiplier, so that must be it. if it doesnt change that means that your cpu is "locked", so u cant change that. but what about the ram divider? find it?

also the auto detect pci u want off, and if it gives u an option then set it to 33, but if it duesnt, then it SHOULD set back to 33, because its probly around 36, and u dont want it to go higher then the stock 33 because the pci cards and videocards are very touchy about their freqencies. if it locks up next time it restarts, that means it didnt set to 33. but still try it

I can't find anything about setting somthin to 33 =\\
Although where I go to overclock, it says like 100/33 for stock, and it goes up like 105/34, 110/35 etc

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Meh.. Now it wont overclock at all

105, 110, 115, 120, 125, 130.. Tried em all..
I used to be able to go up to 120, now i'v disconected 1 cd rom, and 2 fans...
Soon gonna disconect all the fans (cept psu/gpu fan) and connect them all to a external power supply (I got a 11v line)

Also, would it be possible to double up power supplys? I got a 350w and i'v seen 500w psu's for $12 shipped (im broke) I know they prolly wouldne't do a full 500w, but even if they only did say, 300watts, could I double it up with my old one and get 650? As long as the same voltage wires come together?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts