Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Im building a Core i7-980X system. What speeds can i expect from the 980X overclocked on a Cosair H70. Im interested in what settings to use for the Asus Rampage III Extreme m/b. My hardware is listed below. From What ive read, 4.4ghz should be a good target for this system x12 threads.

Any specific bios setting information or general system build info would be appreciated. Also, anyone have DDR timing settings for the OCZ Reaper PC2000 kit?

What kind of speed/settings would you suggest for the EVGA GTX 480 SC FTW cards x2 SLI on air.

Im looking at running on the H70 with Scythe 120mm fans and hoping this will perform a little better than air.

Also, i was originally looking at the Corsair Dominator GT PC2000 DDR kits, but saw that users were having issues with this board during post and only 4GB ram showing up. I wasn't sure which ram to go with exactly so I just selected the OCZ Reaper. It was pretty inexpensive also compared to the other kits. I still have time to return it and exchange for another set, so I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elite-
View Post

For what you would be expecting to get as an overclock for a i7-980x on a H70 around 4.2-4.4ghz sounds right. Also I would suggest you return the ram and get some Mushkin Red lines.

why?

and a good top for the h50/70 is arround 4.2GHz. i can only do 4.02 in the summer due to excessive ambients.

·
Registered
502 Posts
4.5Ghz will land you in the high 70's low 80's on full load. H70 is a good alternative to air cooling, but a 120mm rad is kinda weak for this overclock. You're looking at anywhere between 1.3-1.5v depending on your batch, which is a significant amount of heat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes im aware that each system is a little different. Im looking for some base settings to start out with that i can tweak on my own. Ive never overclocked on the X58 chipset.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elite- View Post
For what you would be expecting to get as an overclock for a i7-980x on a H70 around 4.2-4.4ghz sounds right. Also I would suggest you return the ram and get some Mushkin Red lines.
Do you have a vendor with a good price on the Mushkin Red lines for the 2000 kits? Newegg only stocked the 1600 Cas7 kits.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
one thing to remember with the gulftowns IMC is you can now run the uncore at 1.5x the memory speed so its easier and less stressful(IMC)to do ddr3-2000.so you can run the uncore at [email protected] at 200bclk with memory at 2000MHz instead of having to run at 2x the memory like with bloomfields(uncore at 4000).i found it was best with uncore [email protected] and memory at 2000.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.