Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H motherboard, an H100i, and an i7-3770k, what overclock speeds can I expect? I know luck plays a lot into it, but just give me a rough estimate of the speeds, temps, and voltages I'll be looking at (I know the motherboard is mediocre)

·
Registered
374 Posts
You could get up to nearly 5.0ghz if you've got a really lucky chip.
Otherwise 4.5ghz+ is almost a given.
As for voltages you'll probably be able to get to 1.35v before temperatures get out of hand.
At that voltage temperature under load is probably going to be near the 80C range.

So a very rough guess (there is so much information missing, and luck involved) would be 4.7ghz 1.35v 80C under full load.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At Microcenter I was told that I can't break 4.1GHz with this motherboard, but I felt like that was off (for reference, its revision 1.0 of the motherboard)

I certainly hope 4.5 is possible! Was really put down by that guy at Microcenter, came here to confirm

·
Registered
448 Posts
Guru3d hit 4.8 ghz with that motherboard and a 3770k processor.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_z77x_d3h_motherboard_review,8.html

The 4.1 ghz max you mentioned was probably reffering to non K series processors. As they have a locked multiplier and you can only play with the bus. And you can only pus the bus so far. Mulitplier overclocking on the 3770k processors is where you can get the best overclocking.

also if you delid your processor you can drop the core temps by 20-25c.

·
Registered
600 Posts
yeah 4.5 is just about a given which is very good imo. 4.3 literally without a problem. Most likely a stable 4.7 to 8 24/7 is likely.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not crazy enough to delid just yet.

Do I have to change any settings or just push the multiplier slider at the UEFI BIOS until it says 4.0 Ghz (I'm aiming for 4.0 at first)?

Will I have to change voltages to push 4.0 with an H100i? The 3770k is made in Costa Rica if that makes a difference

Edit: Can you link me a table where I can see average voltages for different clock speed intervals?

·
Registered
448 Posts
The cooling solution has little to do with how much voltage you need to run a stable overclock. A good cooling solution just lets you go higher on the volts while keeping your temps down.

The stock bus frequency on the 1155 chips is 100mhz. So for 4.0 ghz you'd need a multiplier of x40, that should be stable at like 1.100v or so, x48 should be stable at 1.280v. But ofcourse every CPU is different....

I can push x50 on mine at 1.315v stable. But temps are in the 70c and I'm delided. On a 4770k ofcourse.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Also when stress testing make sure to turn off any voltage regulators in your bios to manual. Ie don't use Adaptive voltage, as that can push more volts to your chip then you set during a stress test. Also change your system to performance mode for stress/bench. Turn back to balanced afterwards.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome. I tried googling my batch number and literally found nothing. its batch # 3306B270

Im traveling atm and I picked up this chip from abroad, trying to find people with similar batches for their experiences but cant seem to do that.

I noticed some batches have an L at the start, does this make any difference?

·
Premium Member
6,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacekRing View Post

also if you delid your processor you can drop the core temps by 20-25c.
I feel like this number grows higher every day that someone says it.
Tomorrow I can probably drop 30c if I de-lid

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

is de-lidded over glorified or something? what are the real improvements?

·
Registered
448 Posts
If it's a recently built chip, within the last year or so it doesn't really make much difference what batch it's from. All that matters is where it was made. If it's from Costa Rica it will run a bit cooler then one from Malaysia. At least that's the general consensus. Should say somewhere on the box where it was made.

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

If it's a recently built chip, within the last year or so it doesn't really make much difference what batch it's from. All that matters is where it was made. If it's from Costa Rica it will run a bit cooler then one from Malaysia. At least that's the general consensus. Should say somewhere on the box where it was made.
Yup its Costa Rica. Would you guys recommend jumping straight into OCing or only messing with it if I feel like I need some extra juice in games?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

LOL, I actually did drop about 30c when I delidded my 4770k
biggrin.gif
. But I don't think that's normal, LMAO.

I went from 87c avg under Prime95 down to 58c under Prime95.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1414683/i7-4770k-overclock-how-far-should-i-push

My delidded analysis & screen shots are on page 7. Max temp dropped from 94 -> 64, averages also droped by about 30c. Cooling with an H80i

This was with my rig OC'd to x49 core @ 1.300v, x45 uncore @ 1.200v

Edit: And yes, Forceman I used CLU on the chip and CLU on the HS. Although I heard CLU doesn't work good on the HS, it works for me....so far...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukla View Post

Yup its Costa Rica. Would you guys recommend jumping straight into OCing or only messing with it if I feel like I need some extra juice in games?
You probably won't notice any difference when playing games. Unless it's a processor hungry game like X3: Albion Prelude....mostly games are throttled by your GPU not CPU.

And for normal use, you won't see much difference unless you do frequent file compression, video encoding, etc. Even at stock speeds your system should be smooth as butter for normal use.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On a side note, I picked up some IC Diamond 7 with the H100i, should I bother applying it? (never applied thermal paste before, worried I'll mess up)

How much of a temp difference can I expect by using the compound i bought instead of the pre-applied paste found on the h100i

·
Registered
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukla View Post

On a side note, I picked up some IC Diamond 7 with the H100i, should I bother applying it? (never applied thermal paste before, worried I'll mess up)

How much of a temp difference can I expect by using the compound i bought instead of the pre-applied paste found on the h100i
Have no idea what quality the thermal paste they use on the Corsair water cooling system is. I typically apply Arctic Silver 5.

I know IC Diamond 7 is better then Arctic Silver 5, but not by much. maybe a 2-3 deg C drop on average between the 2. On stock Coolers you can expect maybe a 10c drop by replacing the paste with AS5. But remember not to put too much on because that can actually make your chip run hotter or short it out.

Edit: Also if you do ever delid, don't use IC Diamond on the Chip. As it's coarse and can damage the chip, so I've heard.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Quote:

Have no idea what quality the thermal paste they use on the Corsair water cooling system is. I typically apply Arctic Silver 5.

I know IC Diamond 7 is better then Arctic Silver 5, but not by much. maybe a 2-3 deg C drop on average between the 2. On stock Coolers you can expect maybe a 10c drop by replacing the paste with AS5. But remember not to put too much on because that can actually make your chip run hotter or short it out.

Edit: Also if you do ever delid, don't use IC Diamond on the Chip. As it's coarse and can damage the chip, so I've heard.
The corsair thermal paste is actually pretty good. If you dont have something very good like arctic silver then dont bother changing as the stock paste is actually better than average.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts