Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just won a e5400 off ebay that will go into my xfx 750i motherboard.

This computer runs 24/7 and I would like to have it undervolt and clock down when not in use so it saves power and makes less heat.

But, I also wanted to overclock it from it's stock 2.7ghz.
I was thinking I could get 3.5 or 3.6 on stock cooler.

I don't mind having stress temps upper 60s or very low 70s because they will never get that hot in real use. So what do you guys think? Would this work?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
set Vcore to 1.2875 and see how high you can OC it.
once you do that set Vcore to "Normal" and turn EIST on. I'm hoping "normal" is an option on your board.

:edit:
In my sig I have my highest OC setup like you're wanting.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by clark_b View Post
set Vcore to 1.2875 and see how high you can OC it.
once you do that set Vcore to "Normal" and turn EIST on. I'm hoping "normal" is an option on your board.

In my sig I have my highest OC setup like you're wanting.
Thanks, but my board is crap so it does not even have auto voltages.
I won't have the cpu until next week and was wondering what people could give me so I won't have to do as much when I get it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

what kind of voltage settings does it have?

That is what you get on that board.
Those were old settings for a different cpu.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Alright I guess you would set the J0C1 jumper to Over Clock Mode and CPU Voltage to [0.0000V] to find you're max stable OC for speedstep

then set the J0C1 jumper back to Safe Mode and turn EIST and C1E back on

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Alright I guess you would set the J0C1 jumper to Over Clock Mode and CPU Voltage to [0.0000V] to find you're max stable OC for speedstep

then set the J0C1 jumper back to Safe Mode and turn EIST and C1E back on
Yeah, I think it's just going to be a trial and error thing.
I think it would work better if I used a program like rmclock.

I might try that. Find the highest overclock I want then use rmclock to change voltages at each multiplier.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
You could also try using just C1E instead of speedstep. So it goes from 6x multi with ~1.07V straight up to 13.5x or w/e with 1.2875V

its more of an ON/OFF thing as opposed to stepping down, but it still saves power

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

You could also try using just C1E instead of speedstep. So it goes from 6x multi with ~1.07V straight up to 13.5x or w/e with 1.2875V

its more of an ON/OFF thing as opposed to stepping down, but it still saves power
What program did you use to do this?
I tried using rmclock, but it screwed up and rose my voltages instead of lowering them. Not sure what was up there.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I'm just going to give up. No matter what I try the voltage does not lower when I run rmclock.

I'll just have a lower OC. Does not really matter though since this cpu at stock is way faster than the one I had before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts