Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, ive done several benchmarks and stresstest, i could need some help to determin what the problem is. My "PerfCap Reason" is very fluctuating.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i5 8600k overcloked to 4.2
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 (Asus)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3200Mhz 16GB
Motherboard: MSI Z370 Tomahawk
PSU: Corsair TX750M, 750W PSU
1608288394081.png

·
AMD Overclocker
155 Posts
Depending on the color on the graph it looks to be 3 factors. You'll have to see what value it is giving.

vRel = Reliability. Indicating performance is limited by voltage reliability.
VOp = Operating. Indicating performance is limited by max operating voltage(Hardware Limit).
Pwr = Power. Indicating performance is limited by total power limit.
Thrm = Thermal. Indicating performance is limited by temperature limit.
Util = Utilization. Indicating performance is limited by GPU utilization.

I'm no expert but I never had to crank my 1080 beyond +10 voltage to get to 2100 Mhz. But I also have an FE card under water. Also, that 11.9v on the 8 pin and PCIe worries me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending on the color on the graph it looks to be 3 factors. You'll have to see what value it is giving.

vRel = Reliability. Indicating performance is limited by voltage reliability.
VOp = Operating. Indicating performance is limited by max operating voltage(Hardware Limit).
Pwr = Power. Indicating performance is limited by total power limit.
Thrm = Thermal. Indicating performance is limited by temperature limit.
Util = Utilization. Indicating performance is limited by GPU utilization.

I'm no expert but I never had to crank my 1080 beyond +10 voltage to get to 2100 Mhz. But I also have an FE card under water. Also, that 11.9v on the 8 pin and PCIe worries me.

The green color is PWR, blue is vRel and gray is idle.
what about the 8pin worries you??

·
Fold on!
6,902 Posts
Hi Benjamin,

I'm not an expert either, but looking at my own cards I assume it's totally normal.
I think it really depends on the kind of load you put on the GPU. If it's a constant load with the same image or simulation which is not loading the GPU to 100% I see VRel as PerfCap Reason. If the load is really heavy and it uses all the power the card has it'll show Pwr as PerfCap Reason, but as soon as there is a little dip in the load it will jump to VRel. It's just a reason why the performance is being limited at that time, so if you increase the power limit to an insane number (lets say 300%) it will not show Pwr as PerfCap Reason but most likely only VRel.
So if you have a benchmark with changing scenery it'll jump between the various cap reasons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts