Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Bake. You can call me Bake. This is the first time I've posted on Overclock, read lots of your threads but I need some help now. I have an Amd Athlon 64bit 3200+ ridding on a Gigabyte K8Triton Nforce 4 Sli Ready. I put Thermal Paste on it two times and I'm still getting 70 degrees Celsius constant. I was curious if anybody had any ideas on how to fix this or If it might be a faulty sensor. If you think its a faulty sensor anybody know where I can get a cheap one to verify this claim???

Any comments or help would be appreciated.
Bake

Edit: Yes I cleaned the paste off properly after the first time with Rubbing Alcohol and Q-Tips.

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
It's a faulty sensor, there is no way you could run that processor opperating at that temp, if you could, it would reboot or shut down if not totally fail to POST.
I would look into RMAing that motherboard, and having Gigabyte send you a new board for free.
The max that processor could run at without it being unstable would be around 55Cish.

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bake7221

I bought the mobo from Newegg. Should I run the RMA through them or Gigabyte?

RMAing through newegg may eb slightly less painless, but don't they charge you a restocking fee or is that only with OEM products? But Gigabyte should take less time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's a common problem a lot of people face (especially at www.ocforums.com). Ofcourse you can go ahead and RMA the board or simply try other temperature monitoring programs. (Try Hmonitor.. google it). It could be just inferior temp monitoring software.

Good luck with your overclock!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm on my third temperature program. IDK the first one, Second was TempSensor and than the third one is Everest Home Edition...all three say 70 degrees...

·
Registered
25 Posts
This happened to me too.
But mine seems to work fine, I've used a laser point thermometer to check the temps around the board and it seems to be the chipset if anything.
Does your board have passive cooling on the chipset too?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
How much thermal paste did you use ...And was it of good quality ArticSilver 5 is no1 in that department ...Ony use a tiny amount in the center of the heatsink on cpu...Then place the heat sink on this will spead the paste evenly...Its a big mistake to think more is better

1 - 10 of 10 Posts