Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
in da freezing hell
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey There,

I stumbled across this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/448850/Overload/

It's out in a couple of months, and already, the (dated) early access runs absolutely great, even on Linux.
For those old enough, Descent 1/2/3, the 6DoF (6 degrees of freedom) games, never got any real successors (IMO), since their debut in 1994, I think.

The team behind Descent apparently reformed and came up with Overload. They didn't call it Descent 4 due to IP name property issues (as usual).

This is IMO the true successor of Descent. I bought it already. You even have the guide bot back ! But a less ennoying version (holo bot) than in D1/D2. Really cool.

Edit: of course, I replaced "for those young enough" by "for those old enough" :) Getting too old, myself :)

• Rep+
Reactions: Megaman_90

·
Guitar + Amp = Happiness
3,702 Posts
Finally looks like they did it right! The gameplay trailer looks good. I saw they removed Descent Underground from steam... I heard it was terrible.

Descent 2 was the best still remember loading that up on my DOS Pentium. Never could find those stupid exits.....

·
Let's Launch Over It!
375 Posts
Yeah, this is the game that is being developed by the (most) of the original developers, the "Descent: Underground" is just a cashgrab by Interderplay.

Although I'd certainly love a Descent 4 to continue where D3 and Mercenary left off, but that's been a running joke for nearly two decades at this point. That can go on the pit of never to be seen games like Freespace 3, and Freelancer 2...

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,928 Posts
I was never into Descent, but Freespace....oh man!!! That opening cinematic still impresses me to this day. Loved me some Freespace.

OT: Glad to see them making a comeback. Will probably purchase just to support more games like this.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Played the demo a bit ago. It feels better than most of the other weird 6dof clones I've seen recently. Most of them have a weird superfast, arcadey, bright feel to them, or areas that were too dang big. Weapon velocity felt off on them as well, but this felt pretty good.

This one is nice and dark, and has that tunnel claustrophobic feel I was missing.

This has some of the original Parallax devs, no?

I didn't like Descent Underground at all when I tried it, or a few others I can't remember. Haven't tried Sol Contingency in any state yet, might be interesting.

I've played so much Descent its like muscle memory XD
I can even play pretty well with just a keyboard and no mouse, since that's how I started doing it. Trichording is sorta hard with just a keyboard though.

·
in da freezing hell
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This one is nice and dark, and has that tunnel claustrophobic feel I was missing.

I didn't like Descent Underground at all when I tried it, or a few others I can't remember. Haven't tried Sol Contingency in any state yet, might be interesting.

Pretty much, yes ! Claustrophobia, you'll get. The "darn, is it dark, here, where is the F button", as well.
Ditto, the "****, they're coming by all angles !". Even the bots screams are there.

And yes, it seems most of the original Parallax devs are here as well.

Also, there are lots of debrits when bots are exploding, which can sometimes mask ennemies, but it's all part of the fun.

All in all, a very impressing game and my rig is not overkill, just from 2 years old !

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
Played the demo a bit ago. It feels better than most of the other weird 6dof clones I've seen recently. Most of them have a weird superfast, arcadey, bright feel to them, or areas that were too dang big. Weapon velocity felt off on them as well, but this felt pretty good.

I can even play pretty well with just a keyboard and no mouse, since that's how I started doing it. Trichording is sorta hard with just a keyboard though.
Yeah this has some original Parallax devs, and feels a lot like the original Descent games. It's going out of early access very soon, this is supposed to be the last EA build.

·
Iconoclast
30,428 Posts
I liked FreeSpace better =(
Comparing Descent with FreeSpace is like comparing Contra with Chrono Trigger...very different genres.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts